Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Accent Wall Color
batesy82
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of adding a splash of color to our kitchen/dining room and was thinking of starting with an accent wall.

Our entire kitchen, and most of the house for that matter are darker earth tones. The kitchen cabinets are a mix of espresso and chocolate. Our counter top (for now) is an off-white laminate.

My wife would like orange for the accent color, and I would like red.

All I am looking for is input on wall color, I am not looking to do backsplash or replace our counter at this time.

The paint sample is our existing wall color. Valspar Hot Chocolate.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carolannr
Compromise - do a deep red orange! Would really go with the earthy colors of your home.
February 16, 2013 at 4:02PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
So just the wall with the glass doors is the Chocolate color? I see Gold in the kitchen and on the back wall of the dining area..is that correct? And what will you be keeping? Do you want to paint only the window wall in dining red? So you would then have 3 different colors here, is that it?
February 16, 2013 at 4:04PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
PS the little "parentheses" are too small.
February 16, 2013 at 4:06PM   
batesy82
Right now everything is the same color. Hot chocolate. The kitchen, half wall, dining room and into the open concept living room that adjoins to the right of the picture. It must just be the light playing tricks with the wall color.
February 16, 2013 at 4:08PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Frankly I like the all Hot Chocolate idea..NO accent wall. The space is quite small and will only be smaller with an accent wall. I suggest the following. You need pattern. Look for a great pair of 95/96" drapery panels for the window and the door if possible. Hang them high and off the window so mostly all shutter is showing. Maybe a trellis pattern. Or another pattern that may have some red in it. This will make the window look bigger, and the room soften. Then find a pair of something large, bulkier for the wall space between the panels and the corner.
February 16, 2013 at 4:17PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
shutter looks great ! you can also have a shutter put on the patio it would look more consistent .
February 16, 2013 at 4:58PM   
decoenthusiaste
I would tend to do the bar between the two spaces as the accent and use drapes to enhance the window wall. Space is cramped, but just the bar might not be too much to give you a pop of another color. I like chocolate myself.
February 16, 2013 at 5:01PM   
Keitha
I suggest the red/ orange if you want an accent wall and would replace the sconces with something that has a little more presence. Draperies at the sliders would help soften all the hard edges
February 16, 2013 at 7:32PM     
rawketgrl
I vote for hot chocolate and drapes with cool hardware mounted close to ceiling. A texture or pattern would be nice to soften the area
February 16, 2013 at 8:02PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
I love the color you have used. You need a focal wall. However, painting it wont fix the problem. You have too much hardscape going on with nothing to soften it. As suggested, mount bronze hardware closed to the ceiling, using the 95" panels instead of the 84". I would double up and put 2 panels on either side for volume. Mount hardware beyond the window so that you are covering more wall and very little window. The end result will be dramatic and romantic!
February 16, 2013 at 8:21PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.