powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tiny awkward powder room in the house we just bought.
Gloria Hawkes
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Can't sit on the toilet. Head room low. Want it to be functional and cute! Last owner added it and it just doesn't work ...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Could you rotate the toilet so that the tank is against the wall that the TP holder is on and still use the same waste pipe? A wall hung sink in place of the pedestal sink could provide a more spacious feel, there are some great corner wall hung sinks. Check out Laufen.
February 16, 2013 at 4:57PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Is it possible to rotate the toilet ?
February 16, 2013 at 4:57PM     
twylahaj
It would be a little challenge and potentially a little costly, but it it's possible, swap the sides of the sink and the toilet and turn the toilet 90 degrees so the back is against the back wall. You don't need as much headroom above the sink because you don't stand directly in the sink, but facing it. It would require moving plumbing around a good bit and might not be worth it to you, but I think it's the only arrangement that would make it usable.
My Mom had a tiny powder room that was similar and her toilet was against the taller wall facing the door with the sink on the shorter wall with a very small piece of art above it in lieu of a mirror. It was still tiny, but it was charming and served the purpose.
February 16, 2013 at 5:00PM     
pcmom1
All good advice on swapping walls! Right now you can use this as a conversation piece, "What were they thinking?"
February 16, 2013 at 5:08PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Rotate the toilet and wall floating sink, like "A Kitchen....'
February 16, 2013 at 5:19PM   
Lkristine
Yep, agree, the toilet needs to move to the other wall.
February 16, 2013 at 5:32PM     
mdamron61
Ideally move both the sink and the toilet to the back wall. Sink on the left, toilet on the right.
February 16, 2013 at 5:34PM     
Keitha
Here are a few ideas!
February 16, 2013 at 5:35PM     
soberg
There are tiny wall-mounted sinks for hand washing that may help.
February 16, 2013 at 5:47PM     
reberlou
I really like Keitha's idea...
February 16, 2013 at 6:01PM     
Gloria Hawkes
Terrific ideas! Thank you sooooo much! I'll be posting more. House a bit of a design challenge!
February 16, 2013 at 6:16PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Here's a tiny powder room I did under a staircase. Toilet was under the sloping wall and we used a corner sink, as you can see, with a mirror cut in a mountain shape to go up the two corner walls.

February 16, 2013 at 6:22PM     
jwl29
We just remodeled our Adirondack log cabin's @ 5' x 7' bathroom with a layout like yours. The cabin is Adirondack Great Camp style. Believe me, I spent hours and hours measuring everything down to the half inch and researching options.

Put the toilet where the sink is or consider a new corner toilet (they have a triangular tank) where your wood shelf hangs. If you want to spend alot of money, consider one of the new "tankless" toilets. (The price stopped me in my tracks.)

We installed the sink where your toilet is using a white vessel sink on top of an 1800's cherry washstand. The washstand is 18" square and because the legs are thin, gives an open feeling. Plus it has a shelf for storage. You can find washstands on ebay or at antique stores. Ebay often has cute shabby chic french metal washstands. (You could even use an antique plant stand.) They also have vessel sinks in all colors of art glass and price ranges.

Another option is a new or vintage wall hung corner sink.

We installed an all glass shower to keep the open feeling. For towel storage I hung pack baskets on the wall. For sundries, I hung a creel basket next to the sink. Everyone loves the look and says how large the bathroom looks now (as I laugh).
February 16, 2013 at 6:23PM     
lionnessone
You mean; the last owner didn't think!
Do you think you can switch the position of the toilet, if not then you might want to remove the sink and replace it with a corner one, or move the existing one down towards the door. [houzz=Harris Powder Room][houzz=Shannon (8foot6)][houzz=Hale Aina By The Sea][houzz=sliding barn door]
February 16, 2013 at 6:29PM     
lionnessone
Remove the door and replace it with a barn style door. (see photo above)
February 16, 2013 at 6:37PM     
Keitha
I don't know if this charming door would fit into your plan but LOVE IT! Very similar to the one Carolyn did.
February 16, 2013 at 6:44PM     
bevballew
I thought to move the sink away for the toilet if there is room. Then you just add drama to the room like Carolyn showed or a beautiful half way custom tile like glass or something dramatic. The yellow bathroom above is pretty. I love the copper look.
February 16, 2013 at 6:45PM     
PRO
The nice thing about a powder room door that opens outwards is that it will always remain closed if it's in a hallway.
February 16, 2013 at 6:50PM     
loroca
If moving things isn't an option, how bout a smaller sink? And put a nice tile or wallpaper behind it to play up the powder room http://www.getprice.com.au/RAK-Bathware-Compact-Slim-Wall-Basin-Tap-Hole-Yes-RHS-Sinks-Basins-Gpnc_630--83477222.htm
February 16, 2013 at 6:50PM   
February 16, 2013 at 6:55PM   
shirleybrock
Our tiny powder room is under the stairs (6'X3.5'), like the photo above but it does work functionally. The pedestal sink has the pedestal closer to the wall than this photo. Due to water damage, the room is being remodeled. The floor will be the slate that's in the rest of the downstairs (dark brown primarily) and the walls the soft beige of the rest of the down stairs. My problem is the decorating of this small space. Rectangle mirror? Shelf for towels and tp? Pictures in the room?
last Saturday at 9:49AM   
PRO
A powder room is one place where you can use a lot of color, so I wouldn't go for beige, but for a color you love but are afraid to use. If there's space, by all means use art, and sometimes you can use really big art in a small room. Maybe run mirror on the entire wall where the pedestal sink is going. The glass people can make the cuts around the plumbing. But try not to reflect the toilet. Maybe use a chair rail and mirror the entire room above the rail.
last Saturday at 12:40PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
The least cost of moving plumbing for sink or toilet, is the sink. I would move the sink to the left corner or purchase a new corner sink.
last Saturday at 5:38PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.