Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
advice on glazing
kinielena
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
we are putting in a new kitchen in our home and i am having a hard time selecting cabinets. i love all the white kitchens on here.

the pic below shows what is being suggested to us. the door style we chose is the green color.

the green color is what we are planning to use on the island. it has a black glaze which gives it a grey tone. i do like this. the island is 4 ft by 10 ft.

for all the rest of the cabinets, i cant decide. pictured is a white with a gey glaze. i am worried the glaze will look dated or super traditional. but would it be strange to leave the cabinets unglazed, and still glaze the island? or will the unglazed cabinets look too plain or uninteresting?

we are using a white quartzite pictured below. also will have a 36 white apron sink, bridge faucet, and 46" range to give you a better picture.

thanks so much for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I think the glaze on the island is plenty. It differentiates the island from the rest of the cabinets and the white, simple perimeter cabinets will be less easily dated. The Quartzite is good, are you considering a different top for the island from the perimeter cabinets as well? A reverse contrast is another way to highlight the differences and make the space have just a bit more detail.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:46PM
PRO
nFORMAL design
I have to agree with Ironwood Builders on this one. The glaze on the island will highlight it as a separate element from the other cabinets. You can't really go wrong with plain, simple, white cabinets. It's an easy sell in the future, and you can change it up rather easily if you decide you want to. I would also think about a different top for the island like Ironwood said. Maybe a dark greyish green Quartzite with light green swirl (like the doors) to make it pop?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 9:04PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Instead of grey glazed white cabinets, consider a very clean, pale grey color, almost white. It will add just enough color to highlight the cabinet detail and blend nicely with the grey tones of the quartzite and stainless steel appliances. The visual interest from these combined elements in addition to your sink, faucet and backsplash will be anything but “plain and uninteresting.” Remember too that hardware adds style and interest to your cabinets as well.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:12PM
PRO
JWinteriors
i agree with a soft barely there gray for the cabinets vs bright white. all focus should be centered on the marble.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:20PM
kinielena
thanks guys. i like the idea of using a slight grey. i am planning to use the same countertop on island and perimeter. it has a lot of movement in it and it is really beautiful. i am still trying to figure out hardware and backsplash. i have not idea what to do about the backsplash. i would love to hear any suggestions! you guys are so helpful. attached is a larger pic of the slab. thank!!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:06AM
tcufrog
You can't go wrong with choosing the deeper grey in the material for the back splash . I would go with something in a gunmetal grey metallic. Bring in a pop of color with accessories.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:15AM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider mini bricks (1/2” x 1”) of polished carrara with a grey grout. They can be placed either horizontally, vertically or diagonally. The small format mosaic in a classic shape will complement your cabinet style and not compete with the quartzite pattern since it’s now more of a wash of texture in shades of grey and white.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Color of granite?
Can anyone identify the color of this granite slab?......
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
Elevation
Need help for front elevation
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
My wood floor disaster!
I had a contractor (that I have since fired) that installed...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.