Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Layout and accessories
nixg75
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have recently purchased a new chocolate brown leather lounge. We usually have used wood accessories though this time round it is not working. I have thought of using the bent glass nesting tables as side tables. I am not sure what colour cushions to use and the display cabinet seems out of place. Here are a few pics to get a whole view of the room and the attaching rooms. Advice and ideas would be great.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Add some spice colors in the form of pillow and accents along with perhaps a teal green. Layer in some light neutal, pillows etc. as well

.I think your room is too small, unfortunately to hold all of your upholstered pieces. Perhaps find another place for the love seat and swing the chair around in an L with the sofa. You may have to pull it back a little from the sofa as it will pinch the space needed for you to go pass the sofa and the chair. This way you can put a small coffee table ottoman. Perhaps a brightly upholsted ottoman coffe table would be good here.

Tie it all down with a nice rug under the seating area. Makes it more creature friendly, and inviting.

Get some pictures with big white mats and perhaps frames the color of your cabinet to bring things together.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 11:16PM
nixg75
Hi, thank you for the advice. Excuse my ignorance, which seat would you call the love seat, I assume the chair is the single seat. Are you then saying only have the three seater and the single seater?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:35AM
charleee
To answer your question for Mary, the love seat is the two seater. I would try having the sofa and loveseat facing each other and the chair perpendicular. A colorful area rug will break up all the brown, just make sure that it's large enough for the front legs of the furniture sit on the rug. Then pick up the color in the rug for your sofa throw pillows. I wouldn't worry about a coffee table, in my opinion side tables are much better. [houzz=Safavieh Courtyard Terra Natural/Brown Area Rug]
[houzz=Orange Leopard Print Throw Pillow]
[houzz=Peanuts Cream Embroidered Linen Throw Pillow]
-OR-
[houzz=Arabesque Aqua Area Rug]
[houzz=Peacock Azure Pillow]
[houzz=Decorative Designer Pillow Cover By elegantouch]
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:30AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with adding some colorful accessories, and the room looks too narrow to have the sofas facing each other.

4 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:09AM
PRO
Absolutely love the examples from Olldbobbi and the picture posted by Dytecture. These are perfect and what you should do. Olldbobbi selected a perfect palette for you and I like the openess of the room Dytecture shows, and the perfect balance of space and color, and that is why I think you should take the 2 seater out in this case. I am thinking your room is too narrow, for the scale of all this furniture. I am concerned tht putting them across from each other will emphasis that. Although Ollbobbi is correct, in my belief, that the layout she suggested is the only way you could use all of your furniture here. Could you try that layout and shoot us another picture? What would happen with this layout if you put any type of coffee table the room. And, when you have this much seating you have to have some type of tables to accommodate, whatever coffee tables need to accommodate.
Excellent job Olldbobbi and Dytecture! Love it! This is what makes this site fun.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:25AM
PRO
Olldbobbi can you check out Julie Dvorak "2nd floor remodel help needed". See if you think your color palette would work well for her. And, if so send it over? I think you have her answer.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:36AM
Darzy
Great suggestions Olldbobbi!
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:40AM
nixg75
Thank you all for the great ideas. After Mary's comment last night, I moved the two seater across from the sofa and the chair perpendicular. It does work better for us and the "narrowness" is not as obvious. We do not really have a place for the love seat at the moment so I understand what you say about space though I am faced with that challenge. I love the accessories. That is exactly what we are looking for. I will certainly not put in a coffee table rather side tables.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:14PM
charleee
Whoa! You mean I got one right? I guess it has to happen eventually! Thank you Mary and Darzy, and Mary I will check that out.
6 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:30PM
PRO
Kudos Olldbobbi! Now help that other lady :o) !!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:37PM
charleee
Mary, I asked her to post some pictures but I'll try!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
I am just letting you know I am fan! :o)
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:42PM
judianna20
Mary, bobbi and Darzy are dollies and great to have a convos with.., supportive, kind and imaginative. Can't go wrong with those two.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:37PM
charleee
Thank you judy! Gee whiz, soon my head will be so swollen I won't be able to get my jammies on! Mary and Darzy, please join us on the OLLD forum. We're in the category 'Other' and the discussion title changes with the date, i.e. OLLD 2/16, OLLD 2/17 tomorrow will be (duh) OLLD 2/18.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:41PM
judianna20
bobbi, R can help.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:43PM
olldroo
As Hon. Secretary of Bobbi's Fan Club, I thank you all, we know she is wonderful.

I have one little addition to make, and one I am always on my soapbox about and that is aspect of the room. If your room is cool nixg, then adding oranges, terra cotta, red ochre, will warm it up but those colours can also make a warm room oppressive, in which case make the blues predominent.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:48PM
charleee
Okay you guys, seriously? Thank you roo :)) Good advice, roo is our resident color expert.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:00PM
olldroo
Not really Bobbi, I just get lucky sometimes. Right now I'm smelling paint .......... and I'm not on the end of the brush. Paint has never smelt soooooooo sweet.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:06PM
PRO
Wow, I just walked into a vortex of some really fun people! I hope I understand all of this about the "Other" and remember who is the color expert: olldroo and the secretary of Bobbi's Fan Club: ollroo And that Bobbi and Darzy are Dollies and that Judy G is another great lady of the group, is this correct? Well feel free to correct :o)
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:51PM
PRO
Nixg, haven't forgotten you in all of the fun. I think you are off to a much better start. Go look at all of that and when you get to the next point that you have questions please connect. It was a pleasure to help you.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:53PM
olldroo
Mary we have a great bunch of gals in our henhouse and have just had a couple of brilliant roosters join us. Even Dy has dropped by. Of course we waste way too much time on this website too.

Sorry Nixg, this is why we group up elsewhere so we don't clutter threads by nice people like you. Do hope this has all been of help to you. I must add, I love your floor lamp.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:36PM
nixg75
Hi guys, loved the banter, it was fun to read. We live in tropical Queensland, Australia so hot is an understatement. I think the blues will do great justice. As we carry on I will post pics to let you all know. Thanks a million
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:19PM
olldroo
AH HA!, a banana bender, why didn't you say so. This is why I always ask about aspect, it is so important and also our light here is totally different. Go the blues - colour that is, or go into aquas and teals, they all look great with brown, but have a great cooling effect. I've also seen what I would call jewel colours, I know Warwick Fabrics have some but don't seem to be on their website. They would add some sparkle. Actually I notice you have something beside a chair, can't quite make it out but it is what I would call a jewel blue. Greens can go well with blues for a nice tropical look, indoor plants would be great for your room, they thrive up there. Another colour to bring in is coral, it isn't hot like orange.

My lounge room is presently a work in progress and is a west facing room so needed all the cooling help I could give it and I have gone totally blue and the difference is amazing.

Check out my ideasbook, I have quite a few photos of blue rooms that might give you some ideas. Oh and some nice beachy artwork on the walls would look great - not the tropical island palm tree stuff that is all around now something softer and more restful or even something floral. I am actually going to try to take my own photos to put on canvas for the look I want.

3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:05PM
nixg75
Is this what you saw? I have added pics with the lights on and off
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:57PM
PRO
House of Ann
Hi,I think your room is too small for the amount of furniture in the room.It will look nicer if you leave the two seater and that single sofa go for soft blues and some orange accents.good luck on your project.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 12:15AM
olldroo
Gorgeous, nixg, keep those shades of blue flowing, it looks like it would like aquas with it and some coral. Then don't forget the plants.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:25AM
Darzy
I've been missing all the fun! Olldbobbi you get it right a LOT and I too am a fan. judyg thank you for the kind words. Olldroo, bobbi, Mary Poulos, judyg, it's ladies like you and your great suggestions what makes HOUZZ so addictive. The guys too, Dytecture "nails it" a lot! I'll have to check out your "other" thread.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:11PM
charleee
Darzy, DO NOT sell yourself short, you contributions are HUGE! And, oh, that Dy..... :))
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:13PM
Darzy
nixg75..Since the space is narrow, could you put the tv across from the sofa? I think a longer, lower (bookcase turned on it's side?) for the tv would fill the space better if the tv was there. Then the chair in the corner where the tv is. If space, maybe the two seater as an "L" next to the sofa. Then, you may have space for a narrow bench turned coffee table to kick your feet up to watch tv.

2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:21PM
PRO
Darzy I really like this picture a lot! The colors are wonderful and those pillows zap! I can imagine that looking at the espresso brown cabinets we can see how well these colors would go with the chocolate brown leather. Nice visual. Just add a few sprinkles of Olldbobbi's aqua and peacock blue accents and voila!!
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:43PM
charleee
Darzy, I like that!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:43PM
PRO
Olldbobbi, I beat you by 39 seconds! :o) Great minds think alike!
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:46PM
charleee
Yes they do! You're just quicker on the draw, Mary!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:51PM
olldroo
Calm down ladies, put your smouldering pistols away, this room is in Australia, in tropical Queensland, so take it from another Aussie that oranges and 40+ deg heat/100% humidity don't work. Our light is a lot more intense too. Just the sight of orange raises the temperature another 10 degrees.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:15PM
Darzy
lol olldroo...How about "ice" blue? That should cool things down. :) Like bobbi's thoughts. Ice blue, with white and brown is very nice.

1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:26PM
olldroo
DARCY - yes definitely - the only orange should be the margaritas.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:30PM
nixg75
Darcy, I do love that blue, it is stunning and I will most likely go that way around. I must say I love the cow hide and we were playing with that idea with the light brown as it is a similar brown to the display cabinet at the back of the room and it may help tie it all together again. I could also keep the corals and the orange for the winter months, where we wear a jumper when it hits 25 deg C.

The idea of moving the space where the TV is also a really good idea, I need to convince hubby of that as we have just bought the stand and it is a corner stand which he is very proud of. We did that before we bought the lounge - chicken or the egg scenario. I am hoping to go shopping this weekend to find the pillows and see what I can come up with there.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:46PM
olldroo
Cow hide does look good doesn't it, I really like that idea. Are you in Cairns?? Take your time with shopping or make sure you get things you can return. Wish we had return policies like they do in the States. Hopefully blue is around a bit more this year than last - I had a terrible time trying to find fabrics for my lounge. Sounds funny you talking about 25 for winter - that is a very pleasant summer day for me.

Good luck, don't forget to post your 'finds'.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:19PM
PRO
I have been liking the ice blue color a lot lately. I like it on the ceiling. I like it on cabinets. I haven't used that particular color, at least not for a while, and I really find it appealing. that certainly another way to go, with the cow hyde rug. It will be fun to see what you decide on nixg
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:41PM
olldroo
Mary, that blue is great for beach themes too - very clean and fresh.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 10:43PM
nixg75
What do you think of these pillows. The ottoman we have has butterflies and then the bird cage. I thought it tied it in nicely. It also has the blue, I now need to find plain rectangular blue pillows
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:39PM
olldroo
nixg - LOVE it. Like the little touch of yellow in it too. Didn't see your ottoman in the photos. There are quite a few ideasbooks on here too on arranging pillows/cushions you might find helpful.

Ideabook: Here's How to Master the Throw-Pillow Mix

Ideabook: Where and How to Toss the Throw Pillows
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:56PM
Darzy
nixg75..love that birdcage pillow!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 10:01PM
Darzy
I think the cowhide rug to cover the medallion is a good idea. The medallion isn't working here with the furniture arrangement.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:03PM
PRO
Hi Darzy! Hi Nixg looks like you are still gathering up some great ideas!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 10:28PM
Darzy
Hi Mary...good to "see" you and read your comments!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:35PM
mayren37
I think that u should take ur tv and put it on the wall of the chair and take that chair and make an L and u should get a rug with a little more color and size I love the love seat and the chair I think u just need to play around a little bit with ur space and and a little color
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 10:39PM
olldroo
The more I look at that pillow, the more I love it, it is so different.

Can't believe you two are still up.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:39PM
nixg75
Asked hubby to move the TV to the middle and no win there. We need to then move the arial plug. I suggested we get a longer cord but the existing wall point is higher up the wall so will stick out. Bugger......
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:41PM
Darzy
Bugger is right! :) Okay..Go back to the two seater across from the 3 seater, but center the two seater with the 3 seater. Then, put an end table/lamp on "this side" of the two seater and the floor lamp the "other side" of the sofa. Get the cowhide rug for the center of the narrow space and cover the medallion. No coffee table. Float the chair and "center" between the sofas. If you can, paint the walls the ice blue accents. I'm thinking pillows are not even necessary (except use that birdcage pillow on the chair). I think it would be fun to do "birds on a wire" on the wall. : )

PS. The area rug would look best in a cowhide shape since EVERYTHING is a rectangle here.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:40PM
Darzy
You could do one of these and slide the leg under the sofa for a sofa "side table".

0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:49PM