Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing kitchen cabinet color
darthlaurian
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought a tiny condo with a kitchen that shares the same space as a dining room and living room. I planned to paint the walls of the entire room a light gray, and the kitchen cabinets a rich navy blue to match the red dining table on the opposite side of the room.

When I saw the condo today, I was surprised to see that the kitchen comes with a peach-brown granite countertop. It's a little ugly and it clashes with the color I had in mind, but I don't have the budget to get rid of it and replace it with a new countertop. Plus it's a shame to waste good granite.

Should I still push through with my plan to paint the kitchen cabinets blue? If not, any color recommendations? I know there's nothing wrong with the cabinets it as is, but I love color, and brown just don't go with the look and feel I was hoping for. Thanks for all your help. :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aichoucha
Do you like the white colour? I think white goes almost with everything.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:34AM
darthlaurian
I considered white, but I'm not really feeling it, especially since all my appliances have a silver metal finish.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:27AM
charleee
A close-up picture of the countertops would help, and also, what color is your floor? Here's a pic that has navy cabinets with a countertop not dissimilar to yours: [houzz=Atherton Estate Luxury Home by Markay Johnson Construction]
Or, perhaps you could consider a lighter blue: [houzz=SE Portland kitchen remodel]
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 2:50AM
champagne4lulu
What do you want to be the feature? What colours are in the granite? I would pick a complimentary colour to that. A light brown or even a grey. You could do a blue based grey or something to complement to other grey of your walls. You could dress up the space with colour in other ways - appliances, accessories etc.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:26AM
darthlaurian
Thanks for all your suggestions! Here's a closeup of the granite. It has these gray flecks on it, but I'm a little hesitant to paint the cabinets gray because my appliances have a silver metal finish. Unfortunately I can't get too creative with the appliances because they don't come in very exciting colors/finishes where I'm from.

Basically I want the focal point to be the cabinets, and I want that color to complement my appliances. I like the idea of blue-gray cabinets though. I think it might work with the peach!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:42AM
champagne4lulu
Yeah, blue grey would work - and it's a neutral so hopefully less likely to date.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:47AM