Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hallway advice
dmor0811
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have recently moved into a 1930's house which has the original oak panelling on the walls which has been painted. I ripped out a cupboard yesterday and it has really opened the hallway up and it's now flooded with light. Do I invest time in trying to get the paint off (as you can see i have made some attempts) or do I paint it. I have also took the panelling out the staircase and can't decide between glass or spindles. I really want the wow factor... Please help me
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
I love the panelling as it is. The white brings the light in and opens out the stair way.
If you want a wow factor take Downing Street as your example (please excuse the politicians in the way!). Very classy, classic and light...
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 2:37AM
charleee
If you want the wow factor, I would suggest painting the paneling in a high gloss paint which will reflect light better than flat paint will. Depending on your style preference, here are a few pics of interesting staircases: [houzz=Urban Homestead]
[houzz=Showcase 2007]
[houzz=stair]
[houzz=Minnesota Private Residence]
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:00AM
dmor0811
Can you recommend a paint that will give the look your suggesting?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:41AM
Denice Shuty
I like the wood painted, but the walls need to be darker, a stronger contrast is needed between the wood and walls. What you have now has no visual energy. Is that carpeting on the stairs? If so, then that needs to go. Check out my extensive posts two weeks ago on decorating stairwells.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:49AM
charleee
I use Behr paint, but I seem to be the only one who does. I love it! And the white I would recommend is called Ultra Pure White, it's a true appliance white.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:12AM
Rachel Miller
I would suggest painting the stairs black and white (and taking up the carpet). I have attached some cool pictures to spark your creativity. I would do glossy white or black spinals and keep that wall molding white. To keep it interesting I would use something really substantial/unique for the newel post finial (maybe a large glass piece?)
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:13AM
marybd1957
Might want to check that paint for lead hazards before you go any further.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:20AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I like the comments just above, Black banister, newel post and treads. white spindles. paint the wood paneling high gloss white and then any color you like for the walls. This will give a clean backdrop to your entry and let the things you put in it like mirrors etc be the wow factor. I think glass "spindles would be wrong in this space. cant wait to see the finished project as you are off to a great start.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:20AM
dmor0811
Oh my god not sure I am brave enough to do black banister although I love the idea of it. Carpet is coming up and just been looking at treads and like them. What about floor in hallway ?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:36AM
charleee
This is another great look for stairways. The wallpaper is Cole and Son Woods. It's a little pricey, but hehe, you only live once, right? [houzz=
]

For your floor, what's there now, and what do you have in adjoining rooms?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:40AM
0825sam
We painted our staircase black and white as previous comments suggested. It made an enormous difference. If you like that look definitely go for it!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:48AM
dmor0811
There is currently ceramic tiles which come all the way through from the kitchen. I was thinking solid wood oak floor inti kitchen also. What do you think
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:40AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
We just put real solid wood in our kitchen and it works really well. In the foyer/hall you can do hard wood as well. It does not need to be black but any shade of brown you like. I personally like cognac colored floors.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:44PM