Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with open plan living room
mythilili
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

I've recently moved to a new place and am having trouble figuring out where to place furniture and how to decorate the open plan living room. The layout is a bit awkward and I'm not happy with how the furniture is currently placed. I have no idea what to do with the wall on the side, as it's so expansive and I don't know how to 'fill' this space. At the moment I'm thinking of adding a couple more Billy bookshelves and moving the whole thing to the centre of the wall.

Open to any ideas, suggestions, please help! Also, please excuse the mess!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tamara682
Turn the couch so that its back is to the window. Put the tv on the wall across from it. The way that you have it the sofa looks cloggy. It wont look that way if you turn it the other way.
February 17, 2013 at 5:53am     
mythilili
Thanks, I agree the current layout isn't working. I've considered turning the sofa, but the problem with this is that we like to have the window open all day as we don't get much light and this would reflect onto the TV; so we'll have to keep the blinds down all the time.
February 17, 2013 at 11:27am   
PRO
BY DESIGN Builders
First, if you don't already have them, invest in a small package of furniture movers, those little disks (fuzzy for hard surfaces and smooth for carpeted surfaces) to place under furniture to move it easily. The are less than $20 at Home Depot. You will feel empowered to move large furniture, easily and all by yourself.
Try moving the sofa against the long expansive wall. Play with the bookcase between the sofa and kitchen pass-through. Without knowing measurements, not sure it there is enough room.
The TV could be wall-mounted on the same wall where it is sitting now, but with a full-articulating arm it can be swung out and tilted for easier viewing from new sofa location. When not viewing it can be flattened back against the wall.
Look at long panels for the large window and run them floor to ceiling. You mentioned Billy bookcases, so that means you probably have access to an Ikea. They have some very nice panel options as well as hardware types.
February 17, 2013 at 11:41am   
decoenthusiaste
Spend the money to close the opening from the kitchen to the living room - you are losing valuable space and probably kitchen cabinet storage there. Then move the bookcase on that new wall and put the sofa on the wall opposite the windows. Move the black table by the bookcase to the right so it is part of the hall. You'll find you have room for a couple of chairs to flank the window two. A large rug, drum light fixture, maybe an accent color behind the TV will have things looking and functioning better.
February 17, 2013 at 12:42pm   
mythilili
Thanks, some good ideas here.
@decoenthusiaste - we created the kitchen opening just before we moved in to get some light in! I know it's hard to tell, but the house is very dark, particularly that corner. We will eventually convert it into a breakfast bar!
February 18, 2013 at 11:42am   
decoenthusiaste
With such large windows it is hard to believe you have a dark house. Are those north facing windows?
February 18, 2013 at 12:29pm     
mythilili
Those windows are north facing, but because we're a ground floor apartment and have a sheltered balcony, trees, etc we actually don't get much light in. We often have lights on during the day. Very unlucky really!
February 19, 2013 at 2:47am