February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thanks!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvdecorating2
Any input?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:26AM
joannr
Curtain rods look too small causing them to appear bowed in middle, adding rings would improve look. Picture between windows doesn't work. Darker woven blinds would be better.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:43AM
joannr
Can you show the rest of the room?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:46AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:46AM
luvdecorating2
yes!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:54AM
luvdecorating2
I removed the picture that didn't work. Looks better!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:04AM
joannr
I think because your fireplace is natural brick with a dark wood mantle and your coffee table is also a darker wood, staining or painting the frames of the pretty mirrors above your sofa would look nice and tie everything together. Centering the mirror that's behind the chair and moving the lamp off to the left would be a good idea. Can you mount your flatscreen TV?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:04AM
joannr
I would also replace the shade on the floor lamp with one like the one on your end table.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:07AM
luvdecorating2
Where would we mount the TV?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:18AM
luvdecorating2
Here's a post without the pic.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:22AM
joannr
Can you show me the wall with the fireplace? Do you have a picture of the whole room? I love your wainscoting, meant to mention that before!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:26AM
aniluap2
I agree with joanr, the rods are to thin for the weight of the curtains and the picture is hung too high and is too small. You are moving in the right direction just need a little tweaking.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:31AM
luvdecorating2
Here is the fireplace
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:38AM
luvdecorating2
No I don't have a pic of the whole room, sorry!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:40AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Hi, I am going to put my 2 cents in for you. It would be really helpful if you took 4 pictures from every corner in the room, this gives a complete visual of the room so we can better help you with colour and furniture placement. You have the right idea for green on your upper walls but that colour of green is too weak and too clean for your space. You are mixing clean and dirty colours which is the problem. I would paint over the green with BM Brookside Moss 2145-3-. It will also complement your fireplace. I don't know if you plan on changing the fireplace but if you don't it has to be tied in with the room. You can accomplish this by bringing in more butterscotch or red orange accents, such as cushions on your sofa and the drapes. These seem to have a pink undertone and you should never mix pink and yellow/orange undertones, that too never works. I absolutely love the bench in front of the window, if you can move it on another wall and place your round mirror above it would look great! One last tip for you, the stained glass windows above your sofa are beautiful but this is an area where you want a neutral colour such as BM Manchester tan. Because there are 4 windows, you don't want a darker colour on the wall it ends up looking like strips. Happy Decorating, I hope I helped!
4 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:42AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks for your advice!!! What about BM Georgian green? I LOVE that color. I would like to paint the fireplace white to tie in with the rest of the room. What are your thoughts on that?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:50AM
joannr
Good! Without the picture between the windows is much better. If you don't like the brick and dark wood of your fireplace you could paint the brick and the mantle and it would flow with the rest of the room. If you do like it you could add accents to compliment it. I will look forward to seeing the whole room. I hope you're having fun in the process of figuring it out.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:36AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Yes that could work, they are both yellow based greens. Here's what you do, you get test pots at BM and paint a poster board. Move the poster board around the room at different times of the day and you will have your answer. You may also have to get a slipcover for your chair. It looks like there are pink undertones to it and that won't go at all with any yellow undertones. Same thing for your blinds. Painting your fireplace will make a huge difference! It doesn't go with your style or colours so you're definitely on the right track there. Here is a picture of Brookside Moss, it's much lovelier than on the paint chip!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:37AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks Joannr!! I would rather paint it white. I enjoy trying to figure it out but don't feel I do a very good job!!!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:39AM
joannr
I think you're doing a great job!!! Your instincts are really good too!!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:43AM
luvdecorating2
Brookside Moss is gorgeous!!! We do have a slipcover for our chair,an ivory one. I'll try to get a pic posted. Thanks for all your help!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:44AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
I think you are too, all the white wainscotting is gorgeous and this room will be beautiful once your done!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Awesome!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:46AM
joannr
Once you paint the brick white & your mantle to match your beautiful wainscoting you will love your room!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:01AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Once you paint your fireplace, you may not have to repaint the green, only where your stained windows are.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:02AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you both!!!! Here is the slipcover.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:12AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Much better! You may also want to bring in some soft aquas or (whatever other accent colours you like) to complement the greens. Oh this room is really gorgeous and your almost there!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:15AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you SO MUCH!!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:22AM
luvdecorating2
Would a pale blue lumbar pillow work along with blue hydrangeas?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:37AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
I'm sure it will. I've attached a couple of photos for inspiration. You don't have to stick with blue, you can use tangerine like your lamp, purple, yellows there's so much you can do, you just need to figure out the look you want. A great source is Pinterest and Houzz.com, you can get lost looking at pictures there!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:56AM
luvdecorating2
I have them here, will add then post!!! Thanks so much!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:59AM
luvdecorating2
Here is the blue -- thoughts?
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:08AM
joannr
Would you be ok with communicating via email?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:37PM
luvdecorating2
Hi Joanner!!! Why, did I do something wrong?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:34AM
luvdecorating2
Sounds GREAT Joannr!!!! Thank you!!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:10AM
luvdecorating2
P.S. HAPPY 34th Wedding Anniversary!!!!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:12AM
joannr
Thank you!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:15AM
luvdecorating2
Can you post the pics here?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:21AM
terriebracke
Not sure im liking the panels just hanging straight...try pushing both panels together to th outside edge and swag them with a tie back . Since you have blonds your panels are really just decorative
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:41AM
aniluap2
Have you thought of painting the brick surround a matte black so the smoke staining won't show and just the woodwork white?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:30AM
luvdecorating2
Terri, thanks for your input!! I'm going totry curtain rings which I think will help.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:50AM
joannr
Test
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:27AM
joannr
oops... It's the second pic I wanted to show you, a sample of curtains with trim and reed shades as well as a mix of browns and whites.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:29AM
luvdecorating2
That is gorgeous!!! How would I get the trim? Thanksfor sharing!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:34AM
joannr
Any fabric store, or craft store, or (save on crafts.com) you could dye the curtains you have too.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:38AM
joannr
I'm thinking they could actually be white and IKEA has them at the best price.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 6:39AM
luvdecorating2
I love the color of my curtains,but the trim would be pretty!!!! Thanks again for doing that!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:44AM
bevballew
The trim you buy at calico corners, probably Joann fabrics. I was watching hgtv and they decorated a room with soft colors like your room. The owner had furniture similar to your corner chair. They. Had mirrors with white painted frames. It was stunning. I thought of your room when I saw this episode. Pillows with beautiful fabric was a comment re pillows. She used lamps that were of glass or crystal, which is very popular right now. Maybe add the tassels on the drapery treatment and getting a lamp that has glass as the base would look stunning. This owners furniture was dated but it looked stunning just by the addition of beautiful fabrics, crystal, glass. I love the drapes as shown above.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:57AM
bevballew
If you don't replace the lamp then try for a new shade and maybe add a pretty little box on the table. I think the picture is a bit too small for the area. What about one of those starburst mirrors?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:59AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks Bevballew!!! What color shade should I get? I love the mercury glass lamp. I could get to Joann for the trim. Do you like the new Ikat pillow I'm getting? Are you talkimg about the picture above the TV being too small? Could I add sconces to fill the void?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:11AM
luvdecorating2
What about this box?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:30AM
inabunker
I absolutely love your room! I think what you are struggling with is the fact that you don't like the roman shades by themselves and then put the drapes over them to try and add interest. Am I right? If it were me, I would start over and put white plantation shutters in there. You have such nice architectural details in the wainscoting and this would make the room look more put together and crisp.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 7:41AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you inaunker!!! I wish I could afford to add plantation shutters, but we have spent enough on what we have. All I can do is tweak it to make it work!!!! Any other suggestions to work with what I have on a tight budget?
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 7:49AM
bevballew
I would try a light shade. I think the check print on the pillow is too small. I can see a larger check or of course something else but definitely with the green in it and maybe a rectangle shape.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:03AM
luvdecorating2
Do you not like this one? Did you like the box?
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:10AM
luvdecorating2
I think this pilow will add interest and color!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:15AM
bevballew
I like this pillow a lot. I cant wait to see what it would look like! I am wondering....you have that round mirror, have you tried it in other places? Just curious. What about purple as an accent color, not necessarily on the pillows, but somewhere. Just like in the picture above, or like the orange-red tulips? The photo you provided show the drapes and walls clashing and that is why I think people keep suggesting a change but I am assuming they blend nicely in person. On your fp mantle can you add candlesticks on each end as opposed to what is there. Maybe crystal/glass? It looks nice except the plate and vase to me don't give a finished look, but I am not real good at that stuff. I like symmetry which is nice but I am not good when suggesting non-symmetry looks. Your room is very pretty. I think the fringe on the drapes will be stunning. Many of my neighbors have that look and it is gorgeous looking from the outside of the house.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:26AM
luvdecorating2
Yes, the drapes and wall color look beautiful in person!!! The round mirror is big, which is why it's on that large wall. I like it there!! Thanks for your compliments!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:36AM
bevballew
Where is the trim going? Is it the rope to go on the drapes? I like the mirror also and that is why I wondered if you tried somewhere else. It is a fun piece. I have a similar green in my dining room decorated by a highly esteemed designer in my community. I have a Persian rug beneath the table with some green and some blue, almost a teal blue....so maybe blue would be a possible accent color.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:49AM
bevballew
I see a square box on the table. I like the wall where the two windows are with no picture.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:52AM
luvdecorating2
Did you see this?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:54AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:59AM
bevballew
I did. That is when I thought I did not like the blue. I love the items above the sofa. I like the green checked pillow. The lampshade is too dark and sticks out with the color. I have a different green with coral in my family room, but I do not know if coral would work in your room and you may not like that color. I am trying to think of colors but drawing a blank. Someone suggested butterscotch. Your shade looks that color so then by adding more butterscotch would that work? What about a soft plum color?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:02AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks, I like the green better too!!! What color lampshade would you recommend, a white or burlap? I think once I get the new pillow it will look better!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:10AM
nikitasmom
The mantle is a beautiful wood. Try not to paint that. The painting over the tv does seem small and it fades into the wall. Maybe a narrow shelf like this Staging Ideas
or, while you don't have the same wall space something like this Kim Johnson- art
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 9:14AM
bevballew
The room seems so delicate I would think a white shade. White and green are so pretty together. If it doesn't look good you can try something else. Maybe try and keep the color close to the color of your shades in the windows. Can't wait to see!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:14AM
luvdecorating2
TThank you Nikitasmom, I love the shelf idea!!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:21AM
sjmd42
Since you have a nice shade I would recommend ka valance with a wood rod. The shade ,itself, will give you the sunlight or privacy you may want. Hope this is helpful,
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:26AM
luvdecorating2
Would a ledge placed under this art make it fill out the wall?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:22PM
nikitasmom
Excuse the angles but I only have paintnet to work with. 1st one I just raised the picture. 2nd one I raised it, moved it over and added another fake image box.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:58PM
luvdecorating2
Wow, that's awesome!!!!! I think it would work, don't you? The ledge I'm looking at is antique gold. Thank you so much for doing this!!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:08PM
luvdecorating2
Which color shelf would look best, black or white? My pic is 2 ft.,should I get a 2 ft or 3 ft shelf?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:53PM
nikitasmom
Black and I think a 3 foot. I tried it with 2 foot white and black, also with another option of a 2 ft for picture and a 1 foot for something like your plate on the mantel.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 3:50PM
mainstreetschool
Go to Joann's for the trim, fringe would be better, (I got mine at Calico Corners). While you are at Joann's,check their decor fabric remnants for good deal on accent materials. I found several for $4/yd. Solarium has some bright designs and stripes you can use for accent pillows. I am using this in a couple of rooms. I think painting the brick white, and leave the mantle to match your other woods would look great. You might want to frame the art above the tv. Maybe wooden rods for your curtains, rather than metal. They could be b,town to tie in with other woods, or white to tie in with white woodwork. The wider poles would make the drapes look more custom made. Actually, the material I am showing, would look good in your room, to punch up the colors. Looking good so far!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:16AM
mainstreetschool
Oh yeah, shelf should be white (if you do that). The antique gold would be adding yet another style, you don't need in there.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:18AM
mainstreetschool
You can also get weights to put in the bottom of your drapes to make them hang 'heavier' for a richer look.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:21AM
luvdecorating2
Thank you mainstreetschool! I love the fabric!! What about a center support and curtain rings for the drapes? Did you see the mockup of the shelf colors? I liked the black better. I tend to agree about leaving the wood on the mantle alone!! Thanks for your input!!!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:27AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks for the idea about the weights!!!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Can I offer you a bit of advice on your curtains? Your rod really needs replaced, if possible. It is a telescoping rod that you have extended too far out--which is why it is sagging in the middle. A center support here would detract from the look--IMHO. If you must use a telescoping rod, get the next size up, or have your local iron fabricator cut you a wrought iron one the correct length. A non telescoping rod would look so much nicer--wrought iron, --or use a wood rod as suggested. You can easily cut that to fit your window yourself.
A no cost method to make your curtains look better--you need to dress them a bit. They need steamed or ironed so that they lay straight top to bottom. Start at the top and in several places, pull them down straight, all the way to the bottom--kind of making pleats, even though I see these are rod pocket panels. This will help their look immensely.
Trims--I might have missed whether you sew or not--I would NOT get that big twist cord for your curtains. That trim is a major pain to sew with, and most domestic machines cannot handle it. If you want to put a trim on, consider a tassel trim, or even a flat tape, inset about 2 inches from the leading edge. Weights sewn in are also a good suggestion above.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 9:15AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks for your input.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:39AM
bevballew
Love the fabric recommended by mainstreet! There you go luv2decorate! Trim for the drape is the tassel with little balls. Very classy. I live in an upscale neighborhood and it is the in thing on custom drapes. I don't like the shelf but that is my opinion and taste.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 9:42AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks bevballew!!! I know the trim with the tassel and little balls is what it needs, but I don't know if I can afford it!! The shelf I'm looking at is decorative, but will have to wait until my birthday!!! It's really pretty!!!!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:56AM
bevballew
Happy birthday! Hopefully you get your goodies sooner than later! Glad you are doing the tassels. It is a gorgeous look!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 4:07PM
Susan Flowers
Just a budget idea since there are a number of comments about your curtain rods being thin....electrical conduit makes a great rod for $3, and it is sturdy enough for a 10 foot length without support...you can add finials to the ends....I wanted a simple look so I just added pipe caps for $1 and sprayed it all matte black...looks like you could use your existing finials....if you have a Lowes, they will cut the conduit in the pipe cutting area near plumbing supplies, not in the electrical supply area.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 4:28PM
luvdecorating2
Thank you SO MUCH Susan!!! That is doable!!!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 5:38PM
mainstreetschool
If you don't sew, you can get weights for the curtains that are like chains that can lay in the hem of the curtains. And you can iron the trim on. Ask for iron on hem tape at Joann's. all you need is an iron! The PVC pipe is a great idea for rods! If you want to use rings for the curtains, they work better with pinch pleated drapes. Yours are casement. Try steaming, as suggested, weights, and trim for the custom look. Happy Birthday!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:23PM
I think your room is looking great. You have selected several great looking items. It reminds me of Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn. You can paint your shades/blinds if you want them darker..I would NOT paint your brick fireplace. You might regret it down the road. I personally don't like white painted brick fireplaces, they look cheap. If you must paint it , white wash it rather than paint white opaque.
I think a wider rod would look a lot more expensive too, and wouldn't give in the center. Are your drapes burlap, which is in right now? I love the Ikat pillow! Complementary colors are what decorators use as accent colors. Yellow /purple; orange/blue; red/green and variations of those colors hues are all complementary color schemes. Can't wait to see the complete room!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:08PM
luvdecorating2
Thanks so much maintreetschool!!! Very helpful suggestions!!!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:38AM
luvdecorating2
Here is the shelf I want to get -- thoughts?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:50AM
luvdecorating2
7768 -- I love my shades the color they are.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:56AM
bevballew
Which shades? Lamp shades or window shades?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:12AM
luvdecorating2, I like your shades like they are too. Someone else mentioned for you to buy darker blinds, that is why I said your could paint rather than buy more. I liked the Ikat pillow you posted a picture of very much. It has the green and the purpleish,brown color that would look great with your greens and yellows. If you use red as your accent color I like the fabric mainstreetschool suggested. I also like the abstract painting you hung between the two windows. A rusty red would tie in with your brick fireplace. I really love the Ikat pillow you posted though. You could make your owm pleats/folds in your drapes using the clip on rings. You can steam them while hung on the rods if they need it. Might not need to though. You can also use washers sewn in the corner hems for weights . Your room looks great!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:25AM
I forgot to add... You can use a wider plastic PVC pipe on top of the rods you already have. I think it might already come in black. By putting them over your existing rods you will get the support the PVC won't give that is needed. I think something in a gray blue would be a nice accent. The blue items you posted a picture of are too light.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:28AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks so much 7768!!! Bevballew, I like thecolor of my window shades.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:29AM
joannr
How did your room turn out? Are you happy with the results?
0 Likes   April 1, 2013 at 4:44PM
luvdecorating2
Hi Joannr. i added the curtain rings and yes I'm happy with the results. I have another post about it somewhere. Thanks for asking!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 4:33AM
joannr
I would love to see a current photo :)
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 6:24AM
luvdecorating2
I posted it for you earlier
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 6:35AM
jenneball
I really love that bunny pillow and I love the colors!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 6:49AM
luvdecorating2
Thanks jenneball!!!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 6:57AM
bouts55
I would put those curtains up to the ceiling and if you can you can cut out the crown molding as a place for them.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 7:52AM
luvdecorating2
See new post where curtain rings were installed. They look much better!
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 7:54AM
mainstreetschool
Where is the new post? Would love to see the finished room.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 5:54PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.