Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Urgent help: Single cabinet and blank wall: Looks very ODD
rayess
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My kitchen has a single floating cabinet which looks really odd: had to have cabinet to hide power box.

Please help as I have had many sleepless nights over this.

Kitchen floor cabinet are not possible the sink is in the corner.

Would the proposed shelving be right? or will I be knocking into them whilst washing up? (Wall is about 1985mm) see pic
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rinqreation
I assume the 60cms next to the sink is where the dishwasher could go?
Consider a single or 1,5 sink and move it about 30cms to the left. The dishwasher can now go on the right side of the sink. Shelves and power box should not get in your way.
February 17, 2013 at 7:39am   
rayess
Hi ringreation, there is some issue that does not allow us to have the dishwasher right next to the wall.
February 18, 2013 at 12:51am   
rinqreation
May I ask what there issues are? (There's still 30cms space, in my suggestion I divided 60 in 2)
February 18, 2013 at 1:20am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have come back to this about three times today and applied all the lateral thinking I can to it. I really cannot come up with anything and that box is ugly!

Can you in any way reduce the size of that box? Could you make it a thinner column from the ground up?

I've worked horizontals with no luck. A thin vertical is about the only solution I can think of. Your shelf solution would work but only with something underneath it to balance it. Without that it will always look top heavy.

This really needs a go back to the electrician/kitchen designer to rework the problem.
February 18, 2013 at 2:09am     
charleee
There are a couple of options you could try. Extend the cabinet all the way to the post near the window and paint the cabinet and wall the same color so it will blend instead of standing out. For the remainder of the wall, install pegboard to hold pots and pans and utensils and kitchen art
[houzz=Harlem Apartment - Kitchen]
[houzz=1920 Colonial Kitchen]
[houzz=Home Office / Art Studio]
February 18, 2013 at 2:11am   
midmodfan
How deep is your power box? If it is not as deep as the box installed to hide it, I'd second what ASVInteriors said: go vertical. Most of all, the ugly box doesn't even cover all the wires!

In addition, I'd skip the double sink so that there's more counter space to the right and no need to stand/ work in that corner.
February 18, 2013 at 2:50am     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here is something worth considering. Add the soffit straight across the top from the existing soffit - take it into the corner the same depth as that bump out in the wall. Make that cabinet full height by adding another section that goes to the floor so those wires are hidden and also it will give you some extra storage. Use a really nice tile that blends in with the colouring of the cabinet so it doesn't stick out as a dark chunk on a light wall. You could also tie that tile in with your backsplash on the other side. Doesn't have to be exactly the same size and shape but the same colouring or have that colour in the backsplash. You can add you two shelves to the left of the cabinet as shown. This is not to scale and I'm extremely busy so I don't have time to do it all to scale, but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Good luck.
February 18, 2013 at 5:05pm     
PRO
If you can't add the additional soffit this is what it will look like. Personally I'd go with the added soffit and two or three shelves.
February 18, 2013 at 5:10pm     
PRO
This would be my choice, take the counter to the cabinet and then add two shelves on top. It's well integrated into the design and hides the wires.

Good luck.
February 18, 2013 at 5:16pm     
PRO
If you really can't do a cabinet to the floor this could be another option, add the soffit, add a shelf that extends right under the wall cabinet. Add a panel in front of the wiring that goes right to the floor. Tile it to match the existing tile, or choose a great wallpaper. Make the doors white to blend in with white tile. Extend the counter across to the end of the cabinet.

See what you think.
February 18, 2013 at 5:27pm     
PRO
This isn't my choice, but it's the cabinet as is, some shelves and a panel on the wall to cover the wiring. So with these you have some good options and you can see visually how they look.
February 18, 2013 at 5:32pm     
PRO
One more, with a panel over the wires.
February 18, 2013 at 5:44pm     
PRO
If it were my kitchen, I would make the soffit the same depth as the jut out in the wall and have a custom cabinet made that goes to the floor - you can't stand in that space anyway so it shouldn't impede your working at the sink. If you are using stock cabinets then I would have them cut back by a professional. I would reduce the depth of that cabinet so it's all flush. Then I would choose a wallpaper that would really look great in your space, something you love, or a tile, depending on your budget. It's unfortunate that this was not all addressed during the design process. Below is a rendering showing what I'm describing. This would require some work as the soffit and crown all need to be adjusted.

This would be "my" perfect solution, failing that options 1 or 3 above.

You need to address this or you will never be happy with your kitchen.

Also, not sure if it's possible, but if you put your sink in the island then how deep that cabinet is wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also, you should consider a magic corner to the right of the stove otherwise that's a lot of dead space.

Other than that I think we are all out of ideas.
February 19, 2013 at 4:53am