powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need lots of advice. Major kitchen Reno for a weird house.
Bonnie Goodyear
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ok here is my very dated kitchen! Time for Reno . The ideas are flowing but we need lots of advice. Heres our thoughts but we r open to ideas. We r thinking about white shaker style cabinets, stainless appliances, painting ceiling but not the beams, different color island ( I love the idea of something diff. like yellow, grey, blue etc) wooden floors, changing stair railing ( really need help here).
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bonnie Goodyear
Here r some better pics of the weird house Reno. Waiting for your advice. See previous comment on what we thinking on doing.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:40AM
patinthehat
I really LIKE your Weird House! got the thinking cap on......... ideas to follow!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:49AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Thank you so much . I was beginning to think no wanted to offer advice.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:10AM
PRO
Amplio
I think you are on to something, I would consider a light grey instead off white. And as you said a bold color on the island is really cool. Grey goes very nice with lemon yellow.

I would also let the beams stay as they are, and I would get the same wooden color on the floors as the beams.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:23AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Love your suggestions. That pic of the yellow island is one that I have saved in my favorites. Cant believe you suggested that same pic. We are on the same page. Do you have any suggestions on my stairs?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:06AM
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I would replace the railing with 2x pickets. I think that would go better with the pictures you are showing-a cleaner look.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:11AM
PRO
Amplio
Hard to see in the pic, are the poles painted? I don’t dislike the stairs. But I would match the railing handle to kitchen color, if you go white then go white and so on.
I personally love this kind of railing bit I not sure if you find the to “modern?

A House With Zip!
Scraphouse
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:20AM
nononanna
The yellow is good if you're going with alot white elsewhere, but it's tough to use other, more rustic colors that you seem to have in the house. Are you planning to lighten up the whole area?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:23AM
Bonnie Goodyear
I am loving all this advice. To answer some of your questions. We are replacing all the cabinets and the island. I have considered the iron railing but was afraid it might end up being dated too quickly. My husband is suggesting a combination of glass around the bottom and replacing the spindles going up the stairs with the square wooden spindles or iron. We are changing the paint colors in the kitchen and living room. I wanted the look to end up modern but traditional. The house is very chalet style with lots floor to ceiling windows and very high ceilings in the living room which is open to the kitchen.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:39AM
DIAspoton
this looks like a very fun project. clearly, you.re creative and doing your homework. you would be wise to hire a very talented kitchen designer who understands your vision. a certified kitchen designer with a showroom and experiece may save you money. they'll come to your house to look at the entire picture. they'll measure,talk budget and have a CAD plan within days. the design fee is often rolled back into the job if you contract with them.
they'll have ideas,suggestions and samples of finishes. they'll have a working relationship with a good GC with competent and reliable subs

visit showrooms,ask friends for referrals.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:41AM
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
PRO
Amplio
Is this what your husband wants?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 9:56AM
greenwood8
Iron railings will never date, but decide your overall look before getting down to detail. If you want to go with the chalet style, there's beautiful woodwork out there. With the light and positioning from your photos the staircase can be a real feature.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:19AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Is there a way I can respond to the individual comments? Love all these comments. I still have so many questions . Here is another part of the kitchen that badly needs something done to it. Was thinking of putting in some built ins but don't want it to be too matchy with the cabinets. As for the suggestion to hire a designer; there isn't won available around here. There are cabinet makers that can pretty well do anything but I think the design will have to come from me and hopefully you guys. The glass that was suggested is close to what my husband was thinking.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
Amplio
I agree with greenwood8 about the iron railing.

I don’t know a way that you can correspond individually.
But normally people say for ex Amplio: and comment and so on.

Fund this pic for inspiration to you living room, maybe?
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love the inspiration photos that decoenthusiaste showed and have deleted my thoughts on gray paint which I had previously posted. It would not be right to paint out all the wood in your lovely home and deco's photos show how great it can look with colors that work WITH your wood instead of changing everything to go with a new look.

BYW, where is your house?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:34PM
Bonnie Goodyear
I live in Newfoundland Canada. Here are a couple of pics outside my window today.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:41PM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Your kitchen is a really nice shape already. Could you simply paint the cupboards say an antique white colour, change the handles and get a new bench top- granite or perhaps a beautiful elegant marble?
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:55PM
einportlandor
Before you start selecting materials, I suggest you take a step back and first ask yourself what overall look you're going for. Then give it a name (rustic lodge or modern ski chalet or contemporary loft, etc.) I'm the midst of remodeling the kitchen in my very small 1928 English cottage located in an urban area. I chose the theme of "vintage cafe" (old house, no dining room) and this has helped me tremendously as I move through the design process. When I find myself lusting after some very trendy, high-end fixture or material I recall what I'm trying to do and walk away. (A zillion Houzz pictures help, too.) It's so easy to be seduced by what's popular right this moment but is not necessarily right for your house or lifestyle.

Also, I found that the cabinet folks are good resources for layout and design. They've seen way more kitchen projects than I ever will, and are able to visualize the various options before they ever hit their computers. They can come up with designs I never thought of and help avoid an expensive layout mistake. There are a million details in a kitchen redesign and a million and one ways it can go wrong.

P.S. I LOVE your house.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:24PM
Bonnie Goodyear
I have thought of painting the cupboards but I think they would still look dated. Some of the molding is not nice. And the island really needs a new look.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:30PM
PRO
Replacing doors and drawer fronts is a lot less expensive than starting over. You can also change trim pieces. But if new cabinets are in your budget, then they will definitely make a great change in your kitchen.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:36PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Einportlander: loved your advice. You r so right. My problem is I'm not really sure what I do like. I know I don't want dark cabinets. I feel that they might become dated really fast. That's why I thought it might be best to stick with a soft white shaker style. I do like a traditional look. I also want to keep the chalet feel to the house. I am planning on painting to ceiling but not the beams and I plan to keep the red cedar steps in the staircase. I really don't like spindles so I need to do something with them. I am going to take your advice and out my thought into my style. I would live to see pics of your Reno. I love vintage.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:40PM
lucky925
Another important item to consider is the traffic flow in and out of the rooms. How is that working for you? I see you have a long island with chairs adjacent to a dining table with chairs. Do you use/need both? How many people live in your house with you? Do you want more kitchen space? Aside from knowing what style of furniture you like or don't like, it's important to focus your attention on what isn't working and what is. If you know what the trouble spots are then you can be sure to fix them and maybe you won't have to go to all the expense of buying new stairs, rails and windows.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:51PM
itsjena
i'm not a designer--but love your house....how about adding modern into the mix...
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
webber custom woodworking
Many nice details in your home, but if you need to redo some things replacing cabinet doors and drawer fronts can make a big change. I would suggest keeping the design simple if you want it to last a while and not look dated. Picking the right finish is very personal. Who spends most of the time in the kitchen? What colours/woods do you like? Is your taste conservative or do you crave some drama? Have your cabinetmaker put a sample finish on a door before committing to the entire job if you are not sure, and if you are really fussy like me, be prepared to change.
For the railings have you considered horizontal/diagonal?
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:43PM
einportlandor
Bonnie -- If you haven't already done so, start a kitchen Ideabook. Use the excellent Houzz search feature (rustic kitchen, chalet kitchen, open kitchen, shaker cabinets, etc.) and put every single picture that grabs you for any reason in your ideabook. You might also search for houses in your geographic area if your house style is common there. After you've accumulated several dozen pictures, you'll start to notice features and styles that crop up over and over again and you can begin a process of elimination. For me it was an iterative process spread out over many months, but by the time I was ready to start talking to designers/contractors I had a good idea of the ultimate end product. If I survive the remodel with my sanity intact, I'll post some before and after pictures in a couple of weeks (please God!).

Just one thought -- I love white Shaker cabinets -- I put them in my kitchen. But are you sure that's what you want in an open chalet kitchen? There is some gorgeous wood cabinetry to consider. Don't be too quick to make a decision. Keep an open mind and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Can't wait to hear what you decide.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
kayliwild
We had a very similar kitchen and ceiling to yours, with wood cupboards, wood ceiling, mission brown beams and terracotta tiles (all very monochrome). We had a designer in who gave us great advice and I love the result. The kitchen cabinets were solid wood and great quality so we painted them Dulux domino black rather than replace them with cheap chipboard. We had existing black appliances, so the cupboards blended perfectly. Painting your cupboards white would work well and much cheaper than replacing them and appliances (I don't mind the shape and style of them, a coat of paint and new hardware would really transform them). We painted the ceiling beams in the same charcoal colour, and left the ceiling wood (although we do have high ceilings and great natural light, so I like the idea of painting your ceiling white and leaving the beams). Just be aware that whatever wood you paint needs a lot more maintenance, so keep whatever wood finish you can.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:08PM
Dana F
I like the look of the upper stair case and would like to see an extention/addition of some kind to make it the focal point, by walling up to it maybe? Or a wood worker might be able to design something to make the stairs pop. The lower stair case from the photo view, just looks like a hole in the floor and its railing distracted me from noticing your beautiful upper stair case. Would love to see the finished product whatever you choose. Good luck
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:33PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Einportlander: I have indeed started my idea book with houzz and others but you know I haven't searched chalet style homes, how weird is that .
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:30PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Webber custom wood: love your suggestions. It's just my husband and I and our big dog. We do have big families that often come for meals so we really do need our dining table . In Newfoundland (where we live) kitchen parties with lots of friends , music and drinks are a big thing and our kitchen with the big island has had no shortage of them. I would like to cut our island down a little but most of our friends r saying don't . I will take your advise on finishing the cabinets.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:50PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Dana Fassett: your right the bottom stairs is just a hole and has nothing nice about. I think walling up would take away from our open concept. The area is too small for walls.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:55PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Kaliwild: would love to see your pics .
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Need advice on painting a pine ceiling.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:07PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Well I've started the kitchen Reno. Waiting for the quotes to come in on the cabinets and we began the painting today. Because the house is a open concept, the entire kitchen and living area has to be painted. I wanted a soft light grey to go with the soon to be white shaker cabinets. I chose BM Cement grey in eggshell and we decided to splurge with the Aura paint because of the two 20 feet high walls in dark brown that we have to paint. My worry is that it might be to light. It looks almost white. Now we have only done some trimming yet and the two brown walls are not done. Any advise will be appreciated.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 5:45PM
PRO
Flourish Design Elements
Not sure how far along you are in the reno, but if you haven't got to the railing portion, check out www.flourishde.com for some really unique designs.
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 7:10AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Hi everyone again. It's been a few months and my kitchen Reno is almost complete. I would like to thank all of you for help. I took a lot of it into consideration when making the many decisions . I don't think I would have ended up with a kitchen that I love without this site. If I wanted to post pics can I do it here or should I start a new discussion.? I need lots of advice now on the finishing touches. Hope someone sees this.
1 Like   September 3, 2013 at 5:38PM
0825sam
I would start a new discussion and you can add a link to this one.
Sometimes if you just update an old post people will only read the problem and start giving you advice from scratch again.
1 Like   September 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
I think it would be lovely to post your after photos here, and at the same time give all your commenters a heads up that you've started a new "dilemma" on which we may well want to join you. A link to it would be helpful.
0 Likes   September 3, 2013 at 5:52PM
kathy
You can do either - post photos here or on new thread. But if you just want advice on finishing details, might be better to start a new thread with pictures as kitchen is now.
0 Likes   September 3, 2013 at 6:09PM
PRO
Amplio
Yes I want to see! Post at new one and post it here.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 1:29AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Ok here my before and after photos . As you will notice I took the advice of many and didn't paint my ceiling. Now I need some decorating tips. I will put a couple more pics in another post.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:24PM
pegonia1
Nicely done!
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:32PM
Jenny Youngblood

My favorite combo of white cabinets with a colored island and dark beam ceiling. A beautiful dark terracotta floor and some Spanish tiles for backsplash would look beautiful and warm.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:37PM
PRO
Those are some lovely changes!
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:38PM
Bonnie Goodyear
More pics of my Reno .
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:42PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Those pics don't show really well. The backsplash is a glass grey tile and the floor is a dark maple. I'll try a couple more. These two are of a built in shelving section that was of to one side of the kitchen. We changed it out to built in buffet hutch.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:48PM
Bonnie Goodyear
More pics .
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
It looks like you have a gloriously beautiful kitchen. I wish the photos were better because this could be a knockout magazine worthy kitchen with good photography.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 5:52PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Here's my living room and I'm puzzled as to how to bring it all together with my kitchen . It's a open concept . We've painted all the walls a very light grey and put down a fairly dark maple floor throughout . I am playing with the tree and the pics over the sofa. I' m not feeling the tree and thinking the pics could go back . Also need feedback on the pillows. Need the help of professionals !
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 6:02PM
judia
Hi Bonnie.....LOVE the work on your kitchen. I too have a kitchen like your "Before" and would like to update. I also live on Newfoundland and am having a difficult time in finding someone to do the work for me. Did you replace your doors or have them painted? I would love to hear from you about how you got it all together.......
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 8:58AM
PRO
I would bring the color from your backsplash into the living room, doing so via pillows and different artwork. Here's an interesting art piece that I like: http://www.gallerydirect.com/art/product/tatara/wilma?substrate_id=2&product_style_id=5&frame_id=10&size=30x36
0 Likes   February 22, 2014 at 2:42PM