Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room help!
M H
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there,
I had posted pics of new furniture pieces I got for our family room and got loads of great advice! I have purchased side tables and some accessories and wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to make the room look more cohesive. I know that a comment was made about the odd placement of the chair but I am not sure how else to position the chair with the loveseat and the couch - believe me I have tried! Does it look okay with the one round side table or the two ottomans? I am looking for a light coloured rug to place near the three seater and the two seater to soften the overall look. I'd appreciate your feedback! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rachel Miller
I love your dark wood floors! The light colored rug is def needed.Try rugsusa.com they are having a great President's Day sale. I will also attach a picture on a great rug i love from target. I would suggest some lighter pillows on the couches to create visual intrest. I would also run a single piece of moulding directly up from the edges of the mantel to the ceiling to tie in the tv. I would love to see the ottomans recovered in a pattern or color. these are all just final touches the space looks nice.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:19AM
philipjc
I have a questions regarding your tv. How did you run your cables. I assume that is an exterior wall, did you drill through the studs and route them through the insulation?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:24AM
Ramona
This is a good start and I do like the suggestions above, but I have a problem with the art flanking the tv/fireplace. It just doesn't look right to me at all. The tv is too large for that fireplace. Some around here loathe tvs above fireplaces, but I have been defending them as there is no other place for it in my home; however, you could move the tv to the left above your console, put something completely different above the fireplace and do something else with those two side pictures. I am going to look for some photos for you.

[houzz=
]
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:27AM
M H
Thanks Ramona - I've been thinking the art flanking the tv/fireplace is off too but not sure what to replace it with. The hubby bought the tv and i'm kinda stuck with it, although it is great for when cooking in the kitchen.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:33AM
M H
philipjc - yes it is an exterior wall and the cables run through the insulation - goes down to the basement and back up behind the console area.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:33AM
M H
raeleemlr - thank you! What a great idea about patterned ottomons!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:34AM
moejone
Definitely add a rug, maybe with a contemporary design with some brighter colors. This room is too " brown".
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:39AM
Ramona
There's nothing wrong with a big tv, but it needs to be moved. Watching it will be more comfortable as your neck won't be straining up. When you balance it with the fireplace and something above the fireplace, it will recede. I like the idea that has come around to place a dark color around the tv so that it doesn't sit there like an ugly black box when it is off. The dark of the fireplace box then is contiguous with the dark of the tv.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:43AM
M H
moejone - yes i think the room is too brown and had tried lightening it with the amber/green accessories. Maybe I should change the cushions...or the artwork...

Ramona - i have seen posts where the tvs are outlined which is not a bad idea. Maybe I should do that and remove the artwork?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:51AM
decoenthusiaste
I would do a built-in on the left for the TV and move the credenza under the half wall.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:58AM
Ramona
The proportions of that tv and that fireplace are never going to work. Once you move it to the left, you can change the furniture arrangement so the major seating is on the left of the room. Molding around the tv is just going to emphasize that it is larger than the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:03AM
nononanna
Any chance you could move either the love seat or the chair into another room and get something upholstered in an interesting color/print? that's alot of brown leather...
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:19AM
Rachel Miller
Maybe you could put the couch under the window and rotate the two chairs to the other side? Or you could put the couch facing the tv and have a couch table behind it so you arn't looking at the back of the couch.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:24AM
M H
hmm, not sure if I can place a couch table behind the two seater. I've attached another picture showing the entrance into the family/kitchen area. By placing a couch table, the entrance becomes pretty narrow and tight? (sorry about the lighting in the picture)
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:49AM
M H
oops, here is the picture!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:51AM
jjandhk
can you try the 3-seater facing the FP; the 2-seater in the bay window; and a grouping of the credenza, large chair and tall lamp on the half-wall? I also would try the tv on the wall to the left of the FP.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:00AM
M H
Hi jjdesignkloos; there are only table lamps on the side tables and a candle stand by the fireplace. I tried positioning the three seater and the two seater under the window and having the other couch and chair across the window but it looks very crowded. Also, i cannot move the TV or the credenza since we had the TV installed and the credenza houses the cable box and media gadgets.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:24AM
M H
So I just bought an ottoman coffee table for the room. Yes i know it's dark and leather like, but it's square which I think suits the space. I am planning on getting a light color rug to lighten the room. And I place some extra seating on the sides of the chair with rectangular ottomans. What do you all think? Also, how would you define my style? Thanks again for all your help!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:14AM
M H
Really...I would love to know what you guys think of my style. Just trying to pinpint it...I think it is a combination of a mixture of soft modern and traditional. Any input would be most appreciated...I apologise about my current obsession! ;)
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
It would look so much nicer to have built in's on both sides of the fireplace with shelves for accessories, framed pics, etc and yes, you need a rug. Brown on brown is too much-
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 6:01PM
diana201
Definitely a light colored area rug, lighter colored pillows, built ins on each side of the fireplace look amazing if you have the budget. If not, how about a couple potted plants to the right of the fireplace?
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 6:27PM