Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sunroom decorating help needed
Julie Dvorak
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
just bought new home with this sunroom. I have attached pics of exterior, interior and views from sunroom. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Note that previous owners put laundry room in here and I may not be able to afford to relocate that. I don't think we will be able to do anything with exterior right away either. it was a small sunroom transformed into large sunroom, so the roofline is a little odd. Also, I think the man of the house is going to want to keep the natural wood ceiling, walls, floor, etc. Thanks in advance for your decorating ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Julie!

I can't tell exactly how the laundry space fits into the room. Can you take a pic further away from the laundry so it shows how the laundry connects to the room? Oh wait, is it on the other side of the wall w/the shelves facing the tall single pane windows? Are they all just windows or are the two on the end sliders?

Are you thinking you want indoor furniture in this space or more indoor/outdoor?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:26AM
Julie Dvorak
The laundry room is on the far wall opposite the sliding glass doors. Indoor furniture.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Dytecture
I would suggest painting over the walls while keeping the existing ceiling and flooring as natural wood.

4 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:18PM
charleee
Can you tell me what color the wood is, because in one picture it looks very yellowy-dark, and in another picture it looks white washed? Boy, you have great views!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:35PM
Julie Dvorak
It is not white washed. Here are a few more pictures. We have not moved in yet. I think it is knotty pine.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:08PM
Julie Dvorak
i guess i cant post the other pictures
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:09PM
charleee
Slippery little devils, aren't they? You posted the pics really fast on your other discussion, tho. Anyway, that's a lot of wood. While wood is warm, it's also a hard surface, so I would try to bring in as many soft surfaces as possible. Lots of upholstered furniture, wicker would be good, curtain panels and an area rug. Perhaps an ottoman instead of a coffee table. If you can find an area rug with colors you like you can build your color pallete from there. [houzz=
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:19PM
dianahb
I agree with Dytecture, above, about painting the walls, but keeping the wood on the floor and ceiling. When we re-did our sunroom (years ago)-- the people we bought the house from had lowered the ceiling to seven feet and covered the floor in carpet. It was pretty horrific. We got rid of the carpet and put slate on the floor and took out the fake ceiling--- turns out the ceiling was actually over 9 feet. It had been water-damaged, but after repairs, we did put in a bead-board ceiling (natural wood with clear sealer). We love it. It's really beautiful and adds some warmth--and is in keeping with a sunroom (which were often-- especially in older houses-- very porch-like.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:33PM
libradesigneye
If you have to trade with him on one wood room, this is the one to give him to keep him happy - but I hope he will do laundry! Buy thriftstore / craigslist furniture and paint it all off /warm / creamy white and pale dove gray to unify. Use spa blue and white, and look for nautical touches - a coffee table from a castoff electrical spool painted pale gray with hot-glued rope around the center and gray finished pine boards nailed in as a top. Lamps that you can fill with shells. One big piece of nautical art with some good aqua tones in it - maybe have your sons build you some ship models you can hang on the wall.

If he will let you paint the laundry room cabinets (because you do the laundry), paint them a muted spa blue (pale aqua - since you have teal upstairs you have to live with for awhile, always use blues that have some green in them, from spa, to turquoise, to teal, to deep peacock as accents).

Big flat cotton dhurrie rug in wide stripes - white and gray for a sunroom feel. Just leave the fan for now - but add lamps everywhere - even in laundry, for task lighting and low lighting at night. Take whatever desks you've got and paint them white / use an old door on painted out file cabinets for a computer station. Colors - white, spa blue, gray/stained gray, natural wood, rope, basket.

(In the room next door, where you are doing vinyl wood plank, consider using gray weathered finish there - it will work with the other color tones, and unify these spaces without matchy matchy. )

Will this be the man cave or more likely, the craft and kids schoolwork / projects room? Steal the existing island in your kitchen and bring it down here with $20 ikea white and galvinized metal barstools. You can replace that one with a wonderful piece of painted furniture to help with the transition

If you have any ikea slipcover furniture, buy the white or charcoal slipcovers and put them in here. Look in their "as is" section for same with stuffing issues, then duck tape the stuffing back in and voila. Inexpensive chairs and washable. Take down shelves with corbels until you know where you want to use them with your scheme - perhaps more useful as open shelves in laundry space. Use breezy white store bought curtain panels on a white rod. Take down green blinds.

Eventually, when he sees what magic you can wreak with paint, he will come around. Then paint walls but not ceiling or floors.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:26PM
Julie Dvorak
Thanks again!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:00AM