Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with space over fireplace
valscott
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We plan to build white under lit floating shelves on either side of the fireplace. However there is a lot of space on the fireplace wall between the tv and the vaulted ceiling. Would a large faced clock or other artwork be appropriate above the tv?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ramona
In my opinion, that would be far too busy. The shelves will supply enough interest with things on them.
February 17, 2013 at 9:04AM   
valscott
You may have a point. I am certainly going to wait until the shelves are up before doing anything.
February 17, 2013 at 9:07AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Since we can't see how high your ceiling goes, and we don't know exactly what your shelves will look like, it's hard to comment on your question. I suggest you put up the shelves and then ask your question at that time. Or if you need input now, please show us a photo taken from further back in the room. Is there no other option for TV placement?
February 17, 2013 at 9:09AM     
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I agree with all of these points made so far.
February 17, 2013 at 9:12AM   
decoenthusiaste
Shelves will work nicely in the recesses. I'd also paint an accent color for the interior of them. Have you looked into IKEA's Billy Bookcases? They could make the job easy. No art above the TV though.

February 17, 2013 at 9:12AM   
PRO
Bickhaus Homes
The room appears to be on the smaller side. I'd try to keep it clean and not clutter it up with shelves and all the misc. you'll be filling the shelves with. The tv seems it needs to be raised about 18". Use the mantel to display a candle or a few momentous. I'd love to see a tall silk bamboo plant to the right with up lighting behind it. It will accent your architecture. Have fun!
February 17, 2013 at 11:13PM   
vyisslcoolnguyen
You should add a nice goldenish fancy mirror about the tv and 1 tall brown shelf on each side. (=
February 17, 2013 at 11:33PM   
PRO
Bickhaus Homes
I was giggling for a sec because I thought that said "Goldfish" above me....hehe!
When I re read my comment this morning I realized I cut part of it out fixing an auto correct. Grrr. I had written that to the left of the fire place on the darker wall a rectangle mirror about 1/3 ish the width of that angle would be nice. With either a modern silver or flat black/ brown frame to assist in reflecting some of the uplighting i had mentioned to the right of that cove, without the clutter. That would be very striking.
February 18, 2013 at 4:43AM