powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Remodel fireplace w whitewash any other suggestions?
rubasaves
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Whitewashing today and painting the black metal white along w the brass to black. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lights, what to do w them? Mantel leave stained or paint?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rubasaves
In the future we will add wood paneling on the bottom face portion were the edge is along w shelving. This won't happen for a long while. Thanks for all suggestions and comments.
February 17, 2013 at 9:46AM   
conniedial
have you considered painting the brick? it does not seem to go well with the flooring. By white washing...the brick?
February 17, 2013 at 11:09AM     
Ramona
@conniedial the original posting stated they were going to whitewash the brick today
February 17, 2013 at 11:11AM     
rubasaves
After doing white wash still needs to dry
February 17, 2013 at 4:49PM     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Congratulations... that is a major improvement.

If you care to share your design style and goals, we could offer practical ideas and solutions. One thing I would suggest is to update the sconces... your style preference would determine recommendations
February 17, 2013 at 5:01PM   
rubasaves
Traditional yet updated, I guess? Here are some pictures of the rest of the house. We haven't moved in yet. We just bought the couch and 2 chairs. What do you suggest I place where the sconces are?
February 17, 2013 at 7:03PM   
rubasaves
The couch
February 17, 2013 at 7:04PM   
PRO
Hillside Furniture
Whitewash looks good. I would suggest enlarging the framework of the fireplace . Also add a larger mantel and do away with the mounted light fixtures.
February 17, 2013 at 7:17PM     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
With the style that is going on in the kitchen and with your furniture choices... I could see something like the fixtures in the photos below.
February 17, 2013 at 7:22PM   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
take a look at the mantle as is with the new white wash to determine if you need to change it. right now it ties in with the ceiling beams. The wall and ceiling color needs to be addressed. I would move away from the gold colors towards the greys.
February 17, 2013 at 7:32PM     
PRO
Bohnhoff Woodworking
Super suggestion Terri. I totally agree.
February 17, 2013 at 7:51PM   
rubasaves
Terri you are so right. Here is the color we have in another room and are painting the living room this color. Thank you.
February 18, 2013 at 4:41AM   
rubasaves
Lights? I'm still lost and looking...
February 18, 2013 at 4:47AM   
rowekamp
Try this place for some ideas - http://www.lightingdirect.com/wall-sconce-lighting/c1209?f363=indoor%20lighting&f381=transitional&f397=ambient%20lighting&p=2

You can sort by style (I just picked transitional based on what you said about your style above), type (wall lighting) theme (I chose ambient). It's a quick way to narrow down your choices.

Good luck, your fireplace looks awesome and I love your home!
February 18, 2013 at 5:43AM     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I like the color you selected for your living room.

The light fixtures I selected above are from Restoration Hardware. I like them for your space with the brick because the combination reminds me of the old brick industrial loft warehouses.
February 18, 2013 at 1:08PM     
Ramona
Great whitewashing job. I don't particularly like where those sconces are placed. If you could brick in those places without making a mess, I would. I like the Restoration choices above though. The mantle could stay the same or go white.
February 18, 2013 at 5:06PM     
itsjena
i love your house; the fireplace looks great. I'm wondering about moving the mantel down to just above the long vent--so it relates more to the FP?
February 18, 2013 at 5:14PM     
rubasaves
My thought also was to try to lower it. I don't see how this can be done. The circle between the long vent and the mantel is the open close for the chimney. We had no idea this FP has 2 motors in each side vent and blows out air from the center vent with enough force to blow my hair! What a surprise. Hmmm what does this button do? Then I was blown in the face with all the dust and cob webs! Haha.
February 18, 2013 at 6:37PM     
rubasaves
Here is the room so far. I am getting new windows next week. Then I can get window treatments. Any ideas on how to complete the room. Thanks.
May 17, 2013 at 6:29PM     
amserra
That room looks a lot better. A rug would really help finish it
May 20, 2013 at 7:05PM   
PRO
Weaver Home Photography
A rug, plants, dimmer for the fireplace lights and pictures. In that order. ;^) The wall is nicely done!
May 20, 2013 at 7:51PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.