Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help to design my living room
shirinem
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving to a new place. I need some suggestion on how to design my living room. I have attached two pictures. the living room and dining room/kitchen are attached together. I have a 52" TV which I don't know where to put since the fireplace is at the middle of the living room. I also have a black leather loveseat recliner which was in front of my TV in my last place and a long glass coffee table with black legs . I am not sure what to buy as my second coach or side tables, any suggestions? what color of decorations do you suggest to use to give more color to my living room?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bertarn
I love the 'bones' of your new home ;) I am only seeing one picture and I assume the area to the left of the fireplace is the dining room ? Would the TV work on the wall to the right of the fireplace? Where did the previous owners have their TV ? You had the inspiration to buy this home; whatever you do will be great. Looking forward to seeing what the real decorating experts have to say.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 4:21PM
PRO
Davids Renovations
I see no one is jumping out there with ideas for you, so I will throw a few at you. I don't know how much you love the beige walls, but you could consider changing the color format of the room, to possibly a light grey tone. Something like sherwin williams 7016,mindful grey. Or even more of a grey with beige tone sherwin williams 7030, anew grey. Those colors with black furniture would look great. Another thing, Have a slab mantel put on the fireplace, then mount tv above mantel. One final thought, and thats all they are is thoughts, type in davids renovations right here on houzz, and take a look at the change I made to a fireplace. The home was on market for 9 months, would not sell. Afterwards, sold in 45 days. Just some ideas. good Luck, enjoy your home. Oh, I see where I can send an attachment.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 5:14PM
decoenthusiaste
You need to combine your two posts into one.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 5:17PM
Patsy Tyra
I would start with a rug first, and get my color choices from that. I think I would paint the brick fireplace. I like my T.V. above the fireplace, but If your couch is to close to the fireplace it may be hard on your neck, unless your couch has a higher back to support your head. I'm sure it will be beautiful when you get it all pulled together.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:35PM
PRO
Leya Matalas
See attached. the furnishings are just a form to give you an idea. Enjoy your new house. L.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:49PM
Correen Pounds
I need the brown couch in the above photo. Does anyone know where it's from?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:00PM
PRO
Leya Matalas
crate and Barrel
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:02PM
carolins
Please don't paint the fireplace, unless you really hate it :-) I like it just the way it is.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:47AM
PRO
Godfrey Custom Interiors
What a great room! I think you should begin at defining what your style is, what do you respond to or want it to look like. I personally think you could make a few changes like the fireplace surround with a cleaner more modern stone or tile. Change the wall color, the browns and tans are (judging by the picture) just a little bit dark and cavernesque (if thats a word lol). Maybe update your lighting with recessed fixtures and add crown moulding and you'd be set to go!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:11AM
groveraxle
I have picked four photos from your ideabook to point out some similarities and the direction I think you should go. I think your instincts in choosing the rooms below were excellent because your new house has a very mid-mod feel.

Keep your furniture sleek and simple and aim for a monochromatic look with pops of color in the accessories. Your black sofa can pretty much go with most any color, so I would probably start with a rug or a piece of artwork I loved and build from there. Note in the last picture below that the red canvas is the focus of the room. Everything else is neutral except for a few accents which echo the art.

Good luck.

Beyond Mid-Century by Heather Garrett Design
Mid Century remodel
chelsea atelier
Interior Design - Residential Photography
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 10:09AM
shirinem
wow thanks everyone for the great ideas and comments! I cannot change the wall color or the fireplace because I have rented the place. But as some of you suggested I actually have couple of rugs I attached a picture here to give you an idea how do they look like. I also attached the dining area picture which is attached to the living room, it's floor is very different. I like the idea of adding some red color to the place. I hope that red goes well with the color of my floor... then the furniture color would be (red/black and the floor is golden oak.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:04PM
libradesigneye
Don't buy a second couch, focus on a pair of great comfy upholstered chairs and ottomans. They are a lot more versatile and actually seat more people in a crowd - four people will sit down on two chairs and two ottomans where four people will never sit down longwise on a couch.

Layout here - use front area for desk and line one side wall with tall bookcases. Try a comfy reading chair and ottoman that side of the fireplace, then slide sofa to end 1/2 in this side of the fireplace facing wall on right in photo - the open shelves in photo area is the place for your television. Put final chair and ottoman where camera man standing to round out seating area. Add a sofa table behind your couch to place lamps.

Wall tones are taken from brick color and are great in this house, your black sofa is a neutral, but to tie it back to warm nature tones here you need a bridging fabric with greens and camel / honey
Use a print for pillows - then choose carefully neutrals to go with. As a good example, see http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=50&productID=5546&pStart=0&recNum=43 for a fabric that shows a bit of red, honey/c brings in some greens and acknowledges your blacks. (for inspiration - modern but traditional too) Buy a couple of yards to cover accent pillows, floor pillows in front of fire.

Paint out thrift store furniture in different shades of the fabric shade green or black for desk area / coffee table. Old dressers make terrific media cabinets if the lines are simple, just change out the hardware.

Buy your new chairs in olive /stone greens or true camel - that will work in this warm room and with your black for years to come - a nice neutral that will wear well. Then, add art over the fireplace with some red accents on bookshelves, coffee table, sofa table - voila! great great room.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:22PM
shirinem
I thought I have added the picture of of my rug and dining room in the last message but I cannot see them. so here they are.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:16PM
carolins
Nice place! When you've moved in you could perhaps post photos of the couch and dining room? It's easier to see which way you could go with further furniture and decoration then :-)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:28AM
Patsy Tyra
Is the dinning room and family room open to each other? Which room does this rug go in? If they are one big room, I would paint the walls the darker beige in the rug, and paint the fireplace the lighter beige. I can't tell what the colors really are, but you can match up the right color with paint chips from the paint store. I also see a tile floor next to the wood floor by the rug. The paint color should also match that floor too. With paint chips you can also pull out the other colors in the rug for pillows, and throws. Hope this helps.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:12PM
Patsy Tyra
I didn't see the top rug! I like the top rug better , It looks like it might match the walls better. Just use the colors in that rug for your pillows and throws it will look great. Maybe use the other rug in a bedroom.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:21PM
shirinem
Yes, the dining room and family room are open to each other. This makes it a bit challenging as I don't like the tile floor of the dining room but I can't do anything about it as I rented the place. I actually have 3 similar rugs in different sizes. I was thinking of using one in dining room and one in front of the fireplace. but I am not sure if the rug goes well with that tile floor. I will move there in a week and I will post new photos with my furnitures in it. to see where I should go from there...
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:58PM
danduna2
I think parts of this room will look very nice for our living room. I like the rug and the sofa and chair combo. I think something like that will work very well for your large space.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:58AM
danduna2
I really liked what they did with this fireplace in thus living room and think it might work for your fireplace also.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:03AM
danduna2
I really like this funky and fun dining room idea and think it will stand out in the dining room.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:07AM
shirinem
Danduna2 thanks gor the great ideas i really like your first picture. It seems that gray color is so hot these days. I might also use that green color on your first pic in my decorations
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:55PM