Users
Remodeling our bathroom
scw22
February 17, 2013 in Before & After
Just looking for ideas for our remodeling project
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Braun Renovation Management
Start with a drawing that is actually accurate and has measurements. If you want to keep your costs down stick with standard sized products.
February 23, 2013 at 2:40pm   
PRO
lewis + smith
I wold run the new vanity wall to wall and fill the whole wall above the vanity with a mirror that matches the outline of the ceiling.
February 23, 2013 at 2:55pm   
twylahaj
A scale drawing is always helpful, however, a bigger question for me is whether you are planning to rip out fixtures like the tub and toilet. I am going to assume that you prefer not to, but would offer other suggestions if you are planning to rip those out. The first two things I'd change would be the vanity and the flooring. Swap out the flooring for something more modern like large porcelain tile. Get a modern sleek vanity, preferably with two sinks. Make it large enough to go the whole width without the little blank space to the left where you currently have the trash can. A small trash can can always be hidden in a vanity door. I'd stick with white for the new sinks to tie in with the other fixtures. If you find a white vanity you like, fine, if not, think of it as furniture rather than a part of the bathroom and allow it to make a statement.

Change out the light fixture and frame the mirror.

If you have the funds to do it, I'd also get rid of the glass doors on the tub and install a new tiled surround that coordinates with whatever flooring you select. They make all kinds of wonderful tiles, including gorgeous glass tiles, but do keep in mind that whatever you choose you have to clean (or have cleaned, if you have someone who does that). Because of that constant cleaning and water spot issue, I'd avoid shiny glass tile, no matter how tempting it might be. Then use either a fairly plain fabric shower curtain on a curved rod to add a feeling of spaciousness. Keep visible products to a minimum, preferably in attractive dispensers you refill set in built in nooks in the proposed new tub surround.

It would a bit of an indulgence, but that space under the window would be perfect for a wall mounted towel warmer....

Definitely get rid of the too short curtain on the window next to the tub and replace it with something that will block people from viewing you without blocking the light.

You don't show a picture of the alcove where the additional window is, but it looks like it's probably a dormer. Since those tend to come in multiples, make sure that whatever window covering you have on that matches the other dormer(s) for curb appeal. If there's sufficient space in that alcove a small makeup table and stool would be great there with the natural light.

Have fun with your project. Don't forget to post after photos so I can admire it!
February 23, 2013 at 3:02pm     
scw22
Thank you so much! Very helpful. I will post pictures post remodeling. :)
February 23, 2013 at 4:05pm   
Rosemarie Arscott-Aiken
just to add a few more options. do a cornice or something like that above the vanity area with some nice molding to just above the light fixture to minimize the slop and help to center the light fixture. It's may be just me but I would hate to be using the vanity and seeing the reflection of my sibling using the toilet so some sort or visual separation would be nice, a screen or a half height wall with storage to the vanity side you can search for toilet privacy and get some nice options here. If one of the kids is a girl a nice make-up table, chair and a little chandelier in the nook would be nice and be appealing from the entry or maybe just a storage unit with cupboards and drawers to hide away stuff with a solid surface top and a wide potted plant or rolled towels basket or a big bathroom accessory organizer(towel,soaps, q-tips etc) to discourage clutter on top. Hope this helps
February 25, 2013 at 11:35pm   
Rosemarie Arscott-Aiken
I was just looking at your ideas pictures you could also just have the vanity with tall storage to the higher side of the slope and if funds and the space allows install the other vanity in the nook would give each child their separate space.
February 25, 2013 at 11:49pm   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Take advantage of the space over the toilet for a storage cabinet.
February 26, 2013 at 6:19am   
rinqreation
March 4, 2013 at 12:28am