Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
what to do on the windows
tfiore
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thinking of making this room a sitting room, need help with the window treatments. The windows open out and the hardware is at the base of the window so don't know how to get shutters or blinds on them. Any suggestions for the room: windows or furniture layout?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
Top down bottom up shades.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:05PM
ladypup
First question - is the house that is visible through the window a separate property from which you would like to create some privacy?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:09PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I have had 2-1/2" blinds on casement windows with bottom cranks. That is what I would choose with 1 long angled rod as high as you can go, with drapery panels hung on the sides and at each break..but keep it plain and simple. Five panels from what I can see.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:19PM
tfiore
Thanks. Yes looking for privacy from the house behind and the alley way that runs behind as well. The windows crank out, does that matter when you put shades or blinds on the window.? Was thinking of drapes... do you think angled on just the three back ones and then a separate straight on for the side window?
Thx for the input
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:28PM
judianna20
An investment, but perfect solution for you. Privacy all the time and you still can filter the light: plantation shutters. If the crank is an issue you could replace the crank handle with a butterfly handle, which is much shallower than the standard crank and maybe found at most home improvement stores.

There is also a company that will notch the frame to allow you handle to be readily available.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Shutters are cumbersome on casement windows. I would treat all windows the same with draperies.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:32PM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
How about 'roman shades', on Smith and Noble, www.smithandnoble.com. Here is a photo.

I like the idea for your windows, so you can still keep light coming in, and there is still options for privacy. here is a picture of roman shades.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Blinds..drapes.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:01PM
PRO
Comfort Shades
TDBU Shades (as rinqreation mentioned)are great for privacy, filters light thru and still gives you the ability to see out, without having any large stack issues that can be an eye sore at times. Shutters(as Judy mentioned) are versatile as well, but in a smaller area may darken too much and may make space feel smaller, something to think about.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:22PM
Dee Gould
Plantation shutters...i have a bay in my breakfast nook with plantaton shutters, expensive but worth every dollar, the beauty alone is worth it...also plantation increases value of hse ( in florida) ..good luckn
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:45PM
lucky925
I would be nice to hide the view of your neighbor's house but still allow for natural light. Is is possible for you to add some tall plants outside the window? I suggest raising the rods and getting longer cafe drapes and losing the valances above.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Need advice on what kind of area rug best for family room
Sofa is grey. Walls are yellow with blue accent wall....
A project in progress
Here’s another project we began working on recently....
Need ideas for my kitchen island.
Its really boring. We want to change the tile to granite...
renovating old log house
We are considering purchasing an old log home and moving...
need help with my exterior color.
please help with my exterior color choice, thanks.
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.