powered by
what to do on the windows
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thinking of making this room a sitting room, need help with the window treatments. The windows open out and the hardware is at the base of the window so don't know how to get shutters or blinds on them. Any suggestions for the room: windows or furniture layout?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Top down bottom up shades.
February 17, 2013 at 12:05PM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
First question - is the house that is visible through the window a separate property from which you would like to create some privacy?
February 17, 2013 at 12:09PM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Barbara Griffith Designs
I have had 2-1/2" blinds on casement windows with bottom cranks. That is what I would choose with 1 long angled rod as high as you can go, with drapery panels hung on the sides and at each break..but keep it plain and simple. Five panels from what I can see.
February 17, 2013 at 12:19PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Thanks. Yes looking for privacy from the house behind and the alley way that runs behind as well. The windows crank out, does that matter when you put shades or blinds on the window.? Was thinking of drapes... do you think angled on just the three back ones and then a separate straight on for the side window?
Thx for the input
February 17, 2013 at 12:28PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
An investment, but perfect solution for you. Privacy all the time and you still can filter the light: plantation shutters. If the crank is an issue you could replace the crank handle with a butterfly handle, which is much shallower than the standard crank and maybe found at most home improvement stores.

There is also a company that will notch the frame to allow you handle to be readily available.
February 17, 2013 at 12:30PM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Barbara Griffith Designs
Shutters are cumbersome on casement windows. I would treat all windows the same with draperies.
February 17, 2013 at 12:32PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
How about 'roman shades', on Smith and Noble, www.smithandnoble.com. Here is a photo.

I like the idea for your windows, so you can still keep light coming in, and there is still options for privacy. here is a picture of roman shades.
February 17, 2013 at 12:47PM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Barbara Griffith Designs
February 17, 2013 at 1:01PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Comfort Shades
TDBU Shades (as rinqreation mentioned)are great for privacy, filters light thru and still gives you the ability to see out, without having any large stack issues that can be an eye sore at times. Shutters(as Judy mentioned) are versatile as well, but in a smaller area may darken too much and may make space feel smaller, something to think about.
February 17, 2013 at 1:22PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Dee Gould
Plantation shutters...i have a bay in my breakfast nook with plantaton shutters, expensive but worth every dollar, the beauty alone is worth it...also plantation increases value of hse ( in florida) ..good luckn
February 17, 2013 at 1:45PM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I would be nice to hide the view of your neighbor's house but still allow for natural light. Is is possible for you to add some tall plants outside the window? I suggest raising the rods and getting longer cafe drapes and losing the valances above.
February 17, 2013 at 2:02PM   
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should I Paint My Cabinets White?
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing...
Need advice for my space
This is a apartment so there are limitation when it...
Can I use a prep sink in an island without a faucet?
I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel. ...
Quarter Round
I just found out the flooring I chose is floating and...
Updating Door?
Hello We would like to update / make this door look...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.