Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Facelift
Diane
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought this house a year ago, and have a million projects, in and out. Last spring we installed new windows. Now its time to repaint the exterior. The dilema is the light brown roof! Hate it, difficult to work with, but we must. Im very fond of the classic White with Black shutters. However we are very open to color suggestions. Also, new landscaping around foundation greatly needed. Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It's a great house. I would paint it a taupe with black shutters & door. Always paint the garage doors the same color as the body of the house. No white trim, I would do a lighter shade than the body of the house. Did you ever consider adding a new projecting roof over the front door to cover the entire porch (maybe even expand the porch and add black iron rails. Without really seeing the house in person, I would suggest Sherwin Wiliams SW 2107-60 "Sea Froth" for the body of the house, and SW 2106-70 "Foggy Morning" for all trim. Semi Gloss Black for door, shutters. If you can move your light fixtures out, I would also add long shutters to the front door to enhance the width.
February 17, 2013 at 1:18pm   
PRO
KL Designs Residential Landscape Planning
Regarding the landscape, would you consider decreasing the lawn size? There is a woods feel about your photo that you might want to continue that with plants instead of all the grass that are appropriate for your area. Shrubs with variegated color around the entry area can also add color when nothing is blooming. Using shrubs that will bloom at different times of the year will add a succession of color through the yard. Also large shrubs to the side of the house opposite the garage can help screen off that area for more privacy from the street. You have a long driveway which you can use in a couple of ways: one you can keep everything open and use low plantings for that welcoming and inviting feel or two you can use taller plantings at the street and at intervals to give a little mystery that creates a journey to discover your home in the woods. For deeper shade areas, using plants with white or light colored flowers can brighten the space including shrubs with a white variegation in the leaves. A more dramatic and higher budget project might include a covered stoop at the entry or a full covered deck across the front of the house. This would however change the roof line and best planned in with a roof replacement which you aren't ready for anytime soon. You could consider starting an ideabook with pictures of front yards you like with houses in a similar style and location. It may also give you ideas of colors you like that work with your existing roof. I like the 'pop' white paint gives, consider adding color to the trim and keeping a light or white house color for the effect it gives in a shady environment. You have a blank slate! Just take your time and don't stress that it won't all happen right now.
February 17, 2013 at 1:22pm   
tennisanyone
Such nice curb appeal. I would add shutters and window boxes with flowers on the bottom windows and a railing and widen the front steps although I can't see it close up.
February 17, 2013 at 1:23pm   
AMN
Computer monitor is showing a warm gray, but either way, I think you can achieve the classic look you want. Your house is very attractive.

I'll just throw out some initial ideas.

- In addition to updating foundation landscape, carry it along the walkway to further soften the look of the house.

- Flower boxes?

- Install a black storm door -- full-length glass

- Can't tell the size of the stoop, but it might look nice with some railings or something done to the actual stoop to make it look more solid and get it to stand out a bit.

- I like the clean look of no shutters, but that's personal preference.

I see plenty beautiful white homes with lighter colored roofs in these thousands of Houzz search results for traditional white home exteriors. http://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional/exterior/white-house-
February 17, 2013 at 1:23pm   
tennisanyone
I said shutters because it would take up some of that "dead" space which makes your front door look too small.
February 17, 2013 at 1:44pm   
Diane
Thanks for all your responses. Added notes. The property sits down off the road at the end of a cul de sac. We are very wooded, so privacy is not a factor. KL, I like your idea of extending plantings alone the walk. Dont need all that grass. Low maintanance is the name of the game. The entire property had been heavely planted at one time. Pretty, but need less maintanance. Simplicity is our goal. The front steps will be changed. Right now they are wood over original brick, yuck! AMN, I like no shutters, husband wants shutters.
February 17, 2013 at 1:51pm   
Keitha
Add shutter Dogs ... They would fit the character of the house.
February 17, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Keitha
What about this color combination for your house? I think it would compliment your roof nicely.
February 17, 2013 at 2:04pm     
dianahb
Pretty house. I really love the color combination Keitha, above, has suggested. I also think a warm pale grey with white trim always looks crisp and clean. There's a house near me that's a ranch, but they painted the house a pale green-- almost like a very pale light blue/green-- hard to describe-- and then they painted the front door a pale to mid- grey. They seem to have the same tonal values-- not much contrast-- and something I would have never chosen-- but it is so soft and beautiful, and the two colors just really blend. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I look at every time I go by there.
February 17, 2013 at 2:16pm     
Diane
Love the combination Keitha, right up my alley.
February 17, 2013 at 2:21pm   
Keitha
I don't hate your roof at all!.... Love this house
February 17, 2013 at 2:37pm