Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need kitchen ideas!
Loren
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help updating a kitchen, but keeping the custom oak cabinets as is. Any ideas on color schemes, countertops, backsplash, flooring?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loren
PS: this is the only picture I have at the moment. Sorry.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:40PM
0825sam
What style are you going for? Contemporary, traditional? If you search oak cabinets you can narrow by style and there are tons of photos.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:55PM
michaelscustomhomerepair
Tuscan is a big style trend, and it will work with the oak. You are asking a lot to box yourself in to the cabinet color and working around it......you might at least consider adding a flash of a darker color around the door frames for interest. It seems the fridge is a bit overwhelming, so you need to tie in some stainless steel. I can't see your range area, but the range hood can become a central focus with a stainless steel custom hood and a nice Tuscan tile mural behind and over the range. Tumbled stone tiles 4x4 diagonally installed with accent tiles looks great for a backsplash. The floor needs to be a warm color....a 16x16 travertine-like tile with 2x2 inlays in the corners to add some color pop might do the trick. The cabinet hardware needs an update. If you are going to stick with black appliances you might consider oil-rubbed bronze or stainless steel to match the range hood and fridge. I can't see the space above the cabinets but this is key to a successful design. What you do in that space will make or break the kitchen. (Crown mould, arches, bright colors)The ceiling can be spectacular or a dud. A bucket of joint compound and some artistic elbow grease can give you a great plaster finish that with the right color pulls it all together. Lighting really matters. Make sure there is plenty of it and the fixtures enhance the look.

Granite is a great counter top, but be sure to check out concrete tops. You will be surprised at the amazing color range, and it can be a d.i.y project for about 10% of the retail cost..

Don't go into this project with a closed mind. You will discover things along the way and refine your choices. Steal every idea you can. This site appears to be the best of the best, btw. for pic ideas.

Good luck.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 4:28PM
Loren
Thank you for your input. You've got a lot of great ideas. I hadn't even considered concrete countertops, but am definitely going to look into it.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:48PM
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Loren, here is a link to a concrete countertops FAQ's discussion I created to help inform those considering concrete countertops, I hope you find the information helpful. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to try and answer.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/346684/Concrete-Countertops-FAQ-s-by-Twisted-Minds
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
Flat Magic Art & Design
Mural on panel can be mounted as backsplash behind stove as in the photo. Adds depth and dimension to the space--richness of color that ties in to existing cabinets. www.stepheneprice.com
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Christmas Decor
Don't really have any extra money for decorations this...
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
Which wall color to chose for rooms
Need claasy color suggestion for rooms..have immense...
Which dining room table for my space?
Hi guys, I hope all is well. Was hoping for a little...
Stainless Replacement Panels?
Does anyone make front panels for dishwashers? I have...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.