Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Landscaping...starting from scratch!
m5askqu5
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We took eight bushes out from under the front window and along the sidewalk. I am not sure where to start, limited budget...will do a bit each year. Maybe $1K this year to spend. Live in KS. Dry. This is a shaded area. Please help us! (we'll be painting the house this spring FYI!)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I don't know why we're not giving you input - possibly due to the poor quality and lighting of the pic.
February 19, 2013 at 7:26AM   
PRO
Dytecture
This is a really open ended discussion. Best thing to do is to come up with an overall scheme for the entire yard and divide them into sections so they are more manageable as far as budget.

February 19, 2013 at 7:59AM   
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Here's my two cents worth -a doodle of a lawn-less landscape that would compliment your home's architecture.
February 19, 2013 at 2:07PM   
PRO
P.S. to the above : Kansas is dry so a drought-tolerant landscape without a thirsty lawn is the way to go. Do it in stages - slowly remove all existing grass, a little at a time. Since you have shade you could plant 'Annabelle ' hydrangeas (blooming deciduous shrub ), azaleas ( evergreens ) and ornamental grasses as a project for the first season. The idea of an attached arbor with a tiled patio underneath is more of an expensive project if you're not handy so if you like it you'll need to budget for it in the future
February 19, 2013 at 2:51PM   
decoenthusiaste
February 19, 2013 at 2:57PM   
PRO
Very pretty decoenthusiaste but those are all sun-loving plants and this garden is shady.
February 19, 2013 at 2:58PM   
m5askqu5
Thanks for your input. I know the pic is a bit dark. But again- we're painting the house this spring (will make a huge difference!), we planted new grass seed in the fall, so most of the front yard will be grass, it came in nicely last year (what was there) before we planted new. I'm looking for ideas under the main set of windows on the left side of the pic...it's a shaded area. Then (I know the pic is hard to see) in front of the porch swing is a small garden area about 2' wide, along the rest of the front of the house. So...looking to start simple, I don't want to do a huge landscape- simple shrubs/bushes/flowers...all perennials.
February 19, 2013 at 3:59PM   
m5askqu5
I love the arched arbor idea...
February 19, 2013 at 4:00PM