powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tiny room...lots of ideas...zero cohesion!
tessepp
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I live in an older house with charm. My furniture is lacking the charm due to lack of money. I have contemporary pieces mixed with modern and varying shades of wood. Nothing goes together like it should.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rachel Miller
If money is a concern I would first try to sell the matching chair on Craigslist. I understand you have to work with the couch you have so why not a navy slip cover? If nothing else drape a fun patterned blanket over the back and add structured throw pillows. If I were you I would invest in a good rug to make the room cohesive. Rugsusa.com is having a really good sale right now. If money it tight....switch the couch to the opposite side, turn the bookcase on its side where the couch is now....use this to display your tv on. You can take some of the middle shelves out and just leave the ends in to hold dvds and books stacked. You can put different heights vases/ tall leaning art on either side of tv.
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:43AM
PRO
Dytecture
The main issues are the 'daylight' fluorescent bulb and the wall color. I would invest in a larger TV stand and some accessory cushions for the sofas for a more finished look.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:23AM
mjlb
It would help to know your budget for the space, and also how the room is used. Is it a living room, living/dining, or living/dining/sleeping.

If your budget is nonexistent, and you live in a metro area, you probably could pick up items for free or near-free using craigslist. In more remote areas, you'll need to let friends, family, and every one you run into know that you're looking for furniture, curtains, fabric, artwork, etc.

If your budget is $100, I would look for a rug -- even some indoor/outdoor rugs look great and are in that price range for a 5 x 8, or maybe even larger. Assuming you own, or landlord allows, you could paint your walls a fresh color that relates to the rug.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:07AM
rinqreation
Are you allowed to paint walls? Yes? Paint the wall behind the couch black. No? Put up a really large panel in black. The mirror in it. Get some jeansblue and black pillows. And see if you can change one of the curtains for yellow(-ish) ones.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:24AM
tessepp
Thanks for the great ideas! Do you think laying the bookshelf down under the shelves that are attached to the wall would work as well? Our cable lines only come out of the current spot or the wall the shelves are hanging on. I don't think we want cords running all around the living room. Would it be difficult to drill a new spot on my own if we wanted to?
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 5:44PM
mjlb
You don't want to cover the heating vent in the floor. Also, it looks like the bookcase might be higher than the window sill, even when flipped on its side.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:00PM
rinqreation
Cable lines? Drilling? (I see your tv in the oppostite corner, what cords do you mean?)
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:42AM
tessepp
Our line to connect to our cable tv comes up through our basement. There are ports where the tv is sitting now and then at the opposite wall, next to where the bookshelf currently stands. In order to put the TV on the wall across from the window I would either need to run the cable line from one of the existing spots or drill a new spot for it to come up through the floor. So I wanted to know what you all thought of having the book shelf lay on this wall...(ignore the pom-poms, I'm hosting a baby shower :) ) thanks!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:19AM
rinqreation
Can you get another one of those bookcases? Or switch it for a larger one, so the tv will also fit in? (and remove the wall mounted ones)
Smaller rooms can look great with large furniture, be it chosen wisely.
And yes, it is possible to drill a hole yourself, just be careful and look where you're going (better safe than sorry). But I guess you won't need to drill, since there are not many options to place your tv, are there? Good luck!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:04AM
handymam
raeleemllr, great ideas for little money! That bookshelf idea is genius if she can get it to work.

tessepp, you could paint the coffee table black and it would be more cohesive with the bookcase and shelves.

If you can't paint, you could make some large panels for the wall using artist canvas stretcher strips and fabric. Hang them up behind the couch after you choose a slip cover (like a Sure-fit one) for the couch
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 4:33AM
PRO
Amplio
HI!
I agree that you should try to do something about the TV corner.
Hope you are a DIY fan, buy the looks of the pomp’s you might bee☺

I would get a new cover (if money will allow), gray or navy blue.
Liked, your lamp so went from there.

Rug is as already recommended usarugs.com
Curtains and floor lamps IKEA
Candles from traget.com

I would paint the bookshelf dark grey and so the coffee table. (same color as curtains)
The wall shelf, paint them yellow and place them in one line over the table.
The big chair if possible I would sell and get something lighter.

Well here are some mood-boards.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 5:44AM