powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help custom cabinets too heavy looking in one area.
breuklyn
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Suggestions/solutions appreciated. The empty space is where a Fisher and Paykel fridge is going.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
standinginline
Can you add photos of the rest of the kitchen area?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:10PM
breuklyn
Yes, here. My concern is that the two closest cabinets are too tall and too deep. One issue is a pipe, another is the radiator below the tall/deep cabinets.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:21PM
standinginline
The cabinets appear large and seem a bit awkward right next to the doorway--is there something to balance those large cabinet on the left side of the doorway? The ceilings are very tall in here too, what are your plans for the the color/space above the cabinets?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:51PM
breuklyn
Yes, I agree. How to change that is my question. 13' ceilings. The color I want to paint is a light/medium gray to work with carrera marble countertop on the island (not visible in this photo). I am considering having these two cabinets rebuilt shorter and shallower, but wonder if this will work. Also think having them broken down into smaller cabinets will reduce the tomb look.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:13AM
intoit
The huge cabinets do look overwhelming surrounding the door. The cabinets to the right of the door appear to be way too tall for that space. If they were much lower the cabinets on the left might not appear so out of portion. The cabinet to the right of the door should be counter height.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:35AM
breuklyn
But how to fix without a complete rebuild?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:42AM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Whats awkward is the door transom which looks over sized and doesn't line up with the unnecessary soffet over the windows in the kitchen. Did you get accurate elevations of the room with the door before signing off on the design?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:00AM
breuklyn
No. Drawings from architect. I did bring up my concern that this area would be too heavy, so I am very frustrated now.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:33AM
breuklyn
The transom and soffit over the window were pre-existing.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:49AM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Indeed. I have empathy. I see this all the time with people who hire generalists. When it comes to the kitchen-the most important area of the home, you pass around the plan to many people-not just rely on one person's opinion. And you have to have a louder voice-because onces its ordered, its yours. If only I had a dollar for every time I see this happen to clients. I just met a lady on Sunday who had a kitchen with the oddest layout. Now to rip it out and change it-move the stove and all of that would cost a fortune. Because now to move the ventilation involves masonry and electric.

Now its done so focus on the finishes of the kitchen.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:00AM
kitasei
If the problem is baseboard heating pipes, I just had a plumber move some sections of mine into the wall, move some farther INTO the room to fit neatly under built in bookcases, and eliminate several walls of "dummy" pipe elsewhere that weren't even doing anything. The cost was very modest, and allowed me to optimize space (and heat efficiency) in each case.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:09AM
walterbelasic
Cabinets and fridge to the left of door will appear as one element, assuming fridge is integrated/built in. Cabinets to the right should be at countertop height- would eliminate "tunnel" effect. Optics of exterior doors would be improved if replaced with single lite door
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:28AM
hormonal
Beautiful kitchen but that cabinet next to the door is going to spoil it. Just have them take the top one off and make the bottom one cabinet heigth. Shouldn't cost much. I can't tell about the other side.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:47AM
Jayme H.
I think it this situation calls for a good finishing carpenter...They can be very masterful at making things fit better and look better...
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:52AM
breuklyn
Thanks all. You are making me feel a little better. I have taken off the lower cabinet and the height is much better for that wall with the fridge. But the lower cabinet is needed to house the radiator.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
soberg
Part of the issue is that you have left no bare wall space! If there's any way to not have the tall cabinet right next to the door, and leave the space bare, that would give visual relief and also actual circulation room. If that's a radiator, leave it without a cabinet surround and it will take less space and be more efficient at warming your space.

Contrary to what the cabinet salespeople have been trained to tell us, there is no legal requirement to fill every square inch or floor and wall space with cabinetry. :-o

Also, it appears you have a large cabinet directly over the cooktop (not sink as I originally thought)? There should be at least 30" (75 cm) of clearance between cooktop and flammable material above, and I'd prefer no cabinet at all because again, it gives a hemmed-in feeling.

Especially with your high ceilings and relative small square footage, it is important not to pack in maximum cabinetry if you can at all avoid it, because you may feel like you're standing in the bottom of a well.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:30AM
mjlb
I don't see a sink in photos at all -- I see the gas line for stove and ventilation hood above.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
breuklyn
The sink is at the window. Not yet installed.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 11:10AM
kitasei
Wait - what do you mean by "house the radiator"?? You will lose the benefit of the radiator if you do that..
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 11:25AM
onthefence
The other problem I see is that it appears you have no landing space next to the refrigerator. Where will you place groceries while you're getting to put them away and where will you put things as you put them in/out of the fridge.

IMO the entire area to the left of the fridge needs to be reworked.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 11:32AM
breuklyn
kitasei - the radiator cabinet has vents.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:10PM
breuklyn
onthefence - Yes, agree about area left of fridge. but how? Especially given that the radiator is there? I am trying to make it work without a massive job of remaking all the cabinets.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:13PM
onthefence
It seems to my untrained eye that your kitchen has a lot more cabinetry than it can really accommodate comfortably.

Looking at the fridge wall - I see 2 tall vertical cabs sitting on top of a horizontal cab. Next to that is one very tall and one shorter vertical cab (stacked). Am I looking at that correctly?

You've mentioned the radiator goes in the lower cab. You also mentioned a pipe. What cab is that in and how deep does it need to be?

Also you mentioned above you've taken off the lower cabinet. Which lower cabinet was removed?

There are a lot of really great kitchen professionals here. I'm hoping one of them will chime in ;-)
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:34PM
rinqreation
Excuse me if I'm repeating someone's post;
Remove the cabinets between the window and the door. (I'm getting claustrophobic looking at it) Leave that space empty.

About the wall with the high cabinets: First meter next to the door should be low cabinets. Don't make the high cabinets wider than they are now, so get a built-in fridge, so all doors will be the same.

And vents or no vents, boxing your radiator will reduce it's capacity. Moving a radiator is not the biggest issue for someone who knows what he's doing.
You could consider a radiator next to your door with a small countertop over it (to throw your keys and place groceries on when you come home)
The empty space next to the door would also be a great place for a (high) radiator.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
aborrouso
i don't think you'll really know till it's installed. I would trust the architect and wait and see,
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:37PM
aborrouso
How did it turn out??
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Need help with hardwood floors
I live in mid century home with hardwood floors. Installing...
What exterior colour.
Help please.... We are repainting our house and are...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
What do you think about the different style of cabinets?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/18946035/Wood-Mode-Brookhaven-Products-traditional-kitchen-houston...
Stainless steel or white
We are redoing our kitchen in our condo. We don't necessarily...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.