powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with landscaping and paint color please!
suzannev1
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have recently moved into a new home. I have had the windows and doors replaced and now need to paint and landscape. I am thinking of painting the exterior a pale yellow color. I am having a problem envisioning my landscaping. The house has 2 brick pillars at the start of the pathway. There was probably a fence or hedge either side previously. There is also a large chicago brick patio to the left of the front door which I would like to utilize. I will be changing the outside lights and mailbox. I live in South Florida and the house faces south. I love bougainvillea and tropical plants and have a fairly limited budget! I'd love some help please!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
suzannev1
2 more photos
February 17, 2013 at 8:25pm   
solraven
I don't have any advice on the landscaping, since I'm in the same boat, but where did you get your front door? I'm in S. FL as well and recently did our windows and garage door with impact rated materials but I'm still looking for a full view, tinted front door that I like.
February 17, 2013 at 8:58pm   
suzannev1
solraven - I got my windows and doors from Charlie at CKW Windows and doors 954 822 6719. He was awesome. I got several other quotes and he was by far the best.. They work very quickly and quietly with minimal mess!!
I hope theres someone out there that can help with my landscaping....
February 18, 2013 at 9:22am     
solraven
Suzanne, I was hoping that someone had some advice for you, since we're in the same region and what may work for your home, should work for mine. Plus, it looks like you're south facing as am I. Do you know what the previous owner had planted in the front of the house? It looks like they removed something that was most likely blocking the home.

For the life of me, I can't think of anything to do with those two pillars except to take them out. If they were wider, or lower, or in front of a two story home, perhaps they would work, but I can't see what to do with them for your home. If the walkway is the same brick, I would repurpose them to make the walkway entrance flair out, like a trumpet, to welcome guests.

On the front of the property and along the driveway and walkway, I would do a bed of low flora, with a softer, inner edge on the interior/grass side. I do think the front needs tall trees, like a Royal Palm or Sylvestri. They should not block the house, but offer shade for your home.

On the front right wall, I think roebelenii, on both sides of the windows, and a colorful low hedged, like Ixora, going across.

On the left side of the courtyard, something similar with roebelenii would look nice to balance it out.
February 23, 2013 at 2:46pm   
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Don't know what those columns were meant for either but they interfere with a good landscape design so I'd just have them removed if I were you. Since you plan to use the patio the first thing I thought of was shade -a decorative pergola with a colorful flowering vine that will cover it and provide the shade. A xeriscape -drought-tolerant plantings -is a must as water is so scarce in Florida. A palm tree, sedums, agaves, drought-tolerant perennials and annuals with some large boulders and a pea gravel mulch would look great and be low maintenance once established. Buy a book on gardening for your zone and visit your local independent garden center for advice. Here's my doodle for your landscape.
February 23, 2013 at 3:25pm     
PRO
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Here is another option.
February 23, 2013 at 4:33pm     
solraven
I like the boulders to replace the curb. I would also do some landcape lighting, especially up light on the palms.
February 23, 2013 at 5:17pm   
PRO
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Maybe soften up the yellow a bit.
February 23, 2013 at 6:32pm     
kathleen MK
The yellow should be more ocher with the terra cotta roof. I suspect there were two palms where those mulch circles are. The brick columns could be reworked into low planters/raised beds. A bougainvillea would be beautiful on a patio covering arbor.
February 23, 2013 at 6:47pm   
estantons
How about a mute orange?
February 23, 2013 at 8:58pm   
solraven
I think orange wouldn't be enough contrast. Shades of yellow, terra cotta roof and white trim are common in this area of S. FL, and one of my favorites. As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm looking at a neighbor's house who has this combination. Of course, it's even prettier now, since the sun is setting throwing golden light. :)
February 24, 2013 at 3:11pm