Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating our bedroom!
Andrea Prasch
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We sold all of our old bedroom furniture and have the 2 nightstands and bed I have attached on order. I've always wanted some mirrored nightstands but I am having a hard time designing around them. I would never buy a whole set of matching furniture especially mirrored because I believe they should be accent pieces. I would love a tall chest of drawers for storage and some accent pillows and rug. Suggestions?
(PS my walls look green in the picture but are more grey with a green undertone and flooring is hickory.)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Andrea Prasch
This is our wall color and how it looks in person
February 17, 2013 at 9:37PM     
yvesun
What size is the room and could you attach more angles of the room? its easier than to guess what's on the other two walls. thx
February 17, 2013 at 9:43PM     
Jayme H.
I love your idea...I do think u could do mirrored nightstands AND chest of drawers...It is a very elegant look...
February 17, 2013 at 9:55PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Dimensions of the room are 131" x 150" and the area I would like a tall chest of drawers is 35"wide. Here are additional views and as you can see my chi weenie is enjoying the fact that the bed is on the floor.
February 17, 2013 at 10:05PM   
Jayme H.
Unless u are looking for a contrasting look..I think the mirrored units throughout would work very nicely. And I think your chi weenie agrees! LOL....Seeing the white trim and shutters..a white unit may work..but I love the look of the mirrored pieces and the unity of all matching would be very nice.
February 17, 2013 at 10:09PM     
Jayme H.
I like mono & duo-chromatic looks...I like the simplistic elegance...depending on the look u choose...u could add in one or two, patterned pillows incorporating the wall color, beddding color and an accent color....just my thoughts...
February 17, 2013 at 10:13PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
This was my inspiration for the room but I would like more texture and maybe some rustic elements that my husband loves. I love elegance and monochromatic especially in a bedroom :)
February 17, 2013 at 10:25PM     
Jayme H.
In that case...I possibly would look for a rustic wood chest of drawers..to tie into the flooring.....Your inspiration photo is lovely..but does not convey rustic.
February 17, 2013 at 10:40PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I know and thats where I need help finding my textures. My inspiration was the grey walls, white bedding and matching mirrored nightstands but this room is a little cold for me.
February 17, 2013 at 10:44PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I love this to pieces but have a very modern bathroom (previous homeowners) so it has to flow.
February 17, 2013 at 10:47PM   
Jayme H.
Area rugs can soften areas...and add in a rustic piece, as in the chest of drawers...hard to exactly visualize it without more pics...U have a good start..
February 17, 2013 at 11:00PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Im getting my nightstands later today I'll post the picture
February 18, 2013 at 9:32AM   
0825sam

Was about to say rustic so I'm glad it's something you were thinking of. I love this bedroom from houzz and the desk on the left is what I'm thinking as a dresser.
February 18, 2013 at 9:37AM   
0825sam
Another shot of that bedroom

February 18, 2013 at 9:38AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Oh yes I love that desk too esspecially with those nightstands. My problem is my master bathroom that is open to our bedroom is very modern so I don't know if that would look odd? Maybe more of like an esspresso wood?
February 18, 2013 at 9:48AM   
0825sam
I think you'd be ok - the nightstands already mix it up from the modern bathroom. You could always add something ornamental to your bathroom to pick up the bedroom. For example I also have Modern bath but am going for a look like those pics I posted in the bedroom. So I got these gold/silver mercury glass holders, soap dispenser etc for the bathroom to bring some of that in
February 18, 2013 at 10:08AM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Nightstands have arrived! Waiting on the bed!
February 19, 2013 at 12:41PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Thanks Sam075 thats a good idea
February 19, 2013 at 2:11PM   
vanins
I love the juxtaposition of glam & rustic. Mix it up in bed & bath. Sparkle a rustic old chest of drawers w/ crystal hardware & some flash on top - a silver photo frame, mirrored candlestick holders, or pull in mercury glass like sam suggested. Some glass or simple crystal bedside lamps needed. Just don't overdue the accents. In the bath, add some history w/ a weathered old wood bin w/ pure white & pewter towels, an old chair w/ a plant, something like that.

Is the white bedding new? What's the bed look like? How about a nice pewter-colored throw neatly angled across the bottom of the bed - a raw silk would have texture w/out competing w/ the duvet. For the floor I'm thinking small flokati (sp?) rugs where your feet hit in the mornings, w/ another area rug in the middle of the room, or a bigger one to encompass more space. Something thick & delicious & in pewter tones. Consider painting just the wall behind the bed 200% whatever the color is now.

Keep accessories to a minimum esp. on nightstands, and ZERO clutter. You want to walk into your bedroom & sigh w/ contentment, not look around @ all the picking up you have to do. Use new flameless candles, as I think I saw a wee one in your bedside photo & you don't want to worry about burning down the house while enjoying your new retreat.

Then, enjoy! Our mbr should be a haven.
February 19, 2013 at 2:41PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
vanins I love all of your ideas! Especially adding in a silk throw and a wood dresser with crystal hardware. Yes the bedding is fairly new and the bed frame we were thinking of is the one I have posted at the top of this thread. A linen with silver nail head trim. The nightstands only have all that stuff on them for now until we get the rest of the furniture. I hate clutter too! What are flokati rugs and what print would you suggest for the space?
February 19, 2013 at 6:17PM   
mcbriec
I think Vanin's suggestions are outstanding. Getting a shabby chic, distressed grey dresser would mix things up, provide a rustic element, but still be visually harmonous with silver mirrored furniture which I totally love.
February 19, 2013 at 6:38PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Vanin I just googled flokati rugs and I'm in love! That looks like perfection and would add so much texture and contrast with our hardwood :)
Jamiete I can't wait until our next home to have a wallpaper accent wall!
February 19, 2013 at 11:50PM   
yvesun
I love the glam of mirrored night stands too! You could had a bit of rustic charm by purchasing an iron bed frame.. Martha Stewart used to have a polished metal one in her collection. Adding a new Hudson Bay blanket to the end of the bed and wooden bench with a white velvet cushion. Pottery Barn has some wonderful ideas for incorporating both styles.
February 20, 2013 at 12:43AM   
vanins
Andrea, for some reason I couldn't see your bed pic 'till today - I love it! Was thinking about your room @ 4a.m. when I couldn't sleep, lol. If you don't want nightstand lamp clutter & DH is handy, you could do 2 wall mounted swivel lights like Ralph Lauren Anette Swing Arm or stick w/ 2 ceiling recessed you already have.

Another idea I had for painting the bed wall is the 200% of the current color, but w/ a bit of purple thrown in. By print I'm guessing you mean for over the bed? That means relocating the mirror (which I support) maybe over the chest you're going to add. You don't want anything too distracting above an upholstered headboard ... what about an old (or old looking) architectural wood fragment to pick up the wood tones of the floor? Or something organic pulling the subtle colors in & lots of movement, but no obvious 'picture'. Understand?

Foot-of-bed benches are all the rage, but I have to tell you I have an old English bench in my mbr & it's become a dumping ground, + from the photos it doesn't look like you have the space. I like mcbriec's idea of a weathered grey chest - you can buy an old or new one & do it yourself, DH will be proud.

Instead of painting the bed wall, you could also paint the ceiling a pale greige-purple. Not too dark, but would add interest. Also, see if something can be done w/ electronics above tv - maybe a recessed shelf, & tv can also be recessed into the wall.

Please post pics when it's done, can't wait to see it!
February 20, 2013 at 5:33AM   
Lyndsey Rose
Love the bedroom! What is the name of the paint color?
February 20, 2013 at 7:43AM   
PRO
Alcove Decor and Furniture
Andrea - based on your taste - I would like to share these ideas with you - notice the flokati rugs
February 20, 2013 at 8:38AM   
PRO
Alcove Decor and Furniture
here is the link for an album for pictures of bed with flokati rugs that you may like (for some reason i am not able to upload pictures here) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=466755633392536&set=a.466755613392538.109188.217859828282119&type=3&theater
February 20, 2013 at 8:41AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! We plan to sell our condo in about a year so I'm trying to keep all the walls and ceilings pretty tournkey. In my next bedroom I wouldd love a matte black wallpaper accent wall! But this home I've kept the walls very neutral and appealing to the next home buyers except my daughters room which I'll post when that's done! I love the idea of swivel table lamps but again don't want to drill into the walls since we won't be here much longer. I was also thinking of doing a tufted ottoman at the end of the bed. Right now it's downstairs but I may relocate. It's from restoration hardware and is like a light brown velvet with raw wood legs. As for the tv and components it is one of my hugest pet peeves with my husband. It's been an argument I cannot win lol
February 20, 2013 at 9:32AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Thanks Lyndsey Rose its called "artichoke" by valspar
February 20, 2013 at 9:33AM   
Lynnie
Good to see that you are not afraid to mix it up! I get what you want in your room and I think it is a good idea. You are right when you say that one (or maybe 2) table(s) might be nice in glass, but not all the pieces. In fact, not matching can be very cool looking.

I would get a dresser in glass, and have your night stands different. If you light white, get white wood, or a darker color with glass on top. Don't look at the prices, this is just for ideas. I will post some ideas for you:

Worlds Away Cary Silver Mirrored Chest

Ideabook: Take a Seat at the Vanity
Newlywed's home
Ellen Grasso Inc
Beach Cottage Chic bedroom with custom-built in office
Glamorous Bedroom Redo
March 1, 2014 at 9:54PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Over a year later and here is our bedroom. Someone just commented and brought up this old post and I realized I never posted an after photo so after a year here it is! Thanks to everyone in this post that helped me through my design journey :)
March 27, 2014 at 10:26PM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
After pictures!!!!
March 27, 2014 at 10:32PM