Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
BACKSPLASH FOR DARK GREEN VERDE BUTTERFLY GRANITE
Meg Rogers
February 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
pLEASE HELP! i LIVE IN A CRAFTSMAN COTTAGE NEAR THE OCEAN... KITCHEN IS WARM CREAMY CABINETS AND VERDE BUTTERFLY GRANITE... NEED HELP WITH CLEAN, MODERN SUBWAY OR OTHER TILE BACKSPLASH! sUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
oakleyspanky
Love your cabinets, what is the colour?
February 17, 2013 at 10:59pm   
cdpearman
Beautiful house! With the ocean proximity, I would be inclined to use a "sea glass" colour in a glass subway tile. Maybe something like the attached images :) Good luck! Diana
February 17, 2013 at 11:04pm     
janesflame
Hi Meg, My Verde Butterfly should be installed at the end of the week. My cabinets are painted Sherwin Williams - Creamy. I've decided on a 2X4 glass subway tile and the color is greenish/blue I guess. It just blended really well with the green gray colors in the counter. I have looked at so much tile it makes my head hurt but this is the one that I felt looked the best with the countertop. We painted the trim the same color as the cabinets and the walls are another Sherwin Williams color called Conservative Gray which sometimes looks blue gray and sometimes green gray depending on time of day. Of course none if this is completely put together yet so I'm leaving myself open to changing the wall color since I'm not really a gray person. I can see the sea glass posted by cdpearman above looking really good with the verde. Not so much with the river stone though. Anyway, I'll post a pic of the subway tile I'm using though in real life it looks much better. I ordered samples online of several different colors of green. Most online stores will send samples for a couple of bucks. I'll be posting pictures of my completed project in a few weeks. I already started a thread on my re-do a while back looking for advice. I ended up going in a totally different direction though! Here's the link if you want to check in a few weeks for my "after" photos. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/266519
February 17, 2013 at 11:36pm   
spmm
A glass, polished steel or mirrored backsplash could work well. Grout in backsplash is hard to keep clean.
February 17, 2013 at 11:37pm   
Meg Rogers
Thank you so very much... so helpful.... do you think there is enough room between the existing granite backsplash to place tile on top of it... see how close the windowsill is to the backsplash? Also... should I just remove the existing granite backsplash and retile it? Is that risky?
Some seem to think that the seal of the granite next to the counter is better (tighter seal and more waterproof) than tile against granite. Thanks to all.
February 18, 2013 at 11:25pm   
janesflame
There is certainly enough room for a backsplash as is. You'd have to do some trimming of tile to squeeze it under the window sill but you'll be trimming tile in other areas anyway. Ideally, a backspash would go all the way to the counter. I would ask a granite installer about removal of the existing granite cap. I'm not sure what type of adhesive they use or if you'd have much success doing it yourself without harming the sheetrock underneath. Perhaps they'd do it for you. We've installed a cement board backing in the area so that later removal will be easier. I wanted to have the option of replacing my backsplash later if I needed change. As to the seal between tile and countertop, a silicone caulk properly applied will give you every bit as much a barrier to moisture as you have now. If you're really worried about that seal and are able to remove the existing backsplash, then you could place additional bead of caulk between the granite and the wall before you tile. If you seal your grout well, it's every bit as easy to keep clean as any other surface. I'd much rather clean splatters off of a non porous tile than a painted wall!
February 19, 2013 at 7:41am