Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with space in kitchen
6kitchen
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
When our kitchen was remodeled i left a 6ft space at the end due to the fact that i did not want a wall of kitchen cabinets, Now i am not sure what will look best in the space. I thought of a desk type of cabinet but it might look too much like an office, i like a modern open look. Thank you for any help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
0825sam
What is to the right a breakfast area? I have a similar wall to the left of my breakfast area that I am planning to put a sideboard and some artwork over it.
February 18, 2013 at 6:41am   
6kitchen
i thought of a sideboard also, but have not found the right one that would be functional and modern. i have a round table and chairs opposite the empty wall.
February 18, 2013 at 6:46am   
February 18, 2013 at 6:57am   
rinqreation
My best friend has a desk made out of two of these with a fitted wooden panel on top (without the weels):
February 18, 2013 at 6:58am   
hotmholt
For now, I suggest angling the tall plant stand into the corner and placement of chair and wall art will come from that small maneuver.
February 18, 2013 at 7:05am   
PRO
Home Style Redesigned
I would suggest a desk area, you can use a simple parsons style desk that can also be used for buffet or bar service. You could also create the space by using two 24in. wide shelving units and a six foot counter top or desk top. Contemporary floating shelves can be used on the walls above the desk to display glassware, office organization, or decorative accessories.
February 18, 2013 at 7:07am   
Jayme H.
Can u post more photos of the area? Hard to tell what the room looks like/what to suggest...thanks!
February 18, 2013 at 7:15am   
iamchickaddd
How about a corner cabinet...maybe a bar cabinet...http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/storage-case-pieces/corner-cupboards/danish-modern-teak-corner-bar-cabinet-omann-jun/id-f_748438/
February 18, 2013 at 7:21am   
0825sam
I was also thinking a corner cabinet. Love the one above. What is on the perpendicular wall? If you put something on the blank wall will you be left with too much empty space there?
February 18, 2013 at 7:23am   
charleee
A small banquette for breakfast and homework? [houzz=
]
February 18, 2013 at 7:26am     
6kitchen
attached another picuture of the other side of the room
February 18, 2013 at 8:13am   
Jayme H.
I think some sort of built in would fit in there nicely or even a buffet type built in....but I cannot tell what the rest of the room looks like so I don't want to speak out of turn...
February 18, 2013 at 8:15am   
conniedial
What about a huge (wide and tall) armoire repurposed for desk/office use? OR repurpose as a wine/bar for glasses and bottles?
February 18, 2013 at 8:18am     
Marilyn Wilkie
Since you didn't say anything about needing more storage and you want a clean, modern look, I would lose the foo-dads (plant stand, stool, etc.) and hang a nice framed piece of artwork on the left wall, if not on both.
February 18, 2013 at 8:19am   
6kitchen
i attached another photo, i can always use more storage, but i want a clean modern look i like plants, and few foo-dads, i could put always put on a single shelf. Thanks!
February 18, 2013 at 8:23am     
charleee
A baker's rack could hold plants and larger less frequently used appliances, like crock pots, etc.
February 18, 2013 at 8:25am   
conniedial
Consider some builtin "look" of shelve's with a dedicated area for a desk area for writing bills, etc...then you have shelves for you " doo-dads and maybe some LIVE greenery...Kitchens are to LIVED in and living embraces our whims and likes. I have a collection of antique crosses on the upper part of a wall inour kitchen area...blends with my tuscan-ish decor...
February 18, 2013 at 8:30am   
6kitchen
what would that look like? i want to keep it light looking. Thanks!
February 18, 2013 at 8:49am   
Marilyn Wilkie
Maybe a wall of 1' deep cabinets that match yours? With doors, maybe glass?
February 18, 2013 at 8:53am   
conniedial
Choose what makes you happy...I am drawn to things that touch my memories...to fill your shelve's or armoire or whatever you decide on. Point is kitchen's are no longer just a place to cook and eat. They are an extension to living/gathering. LOVE the old world style where people hang in the kitchen more than the family room:) If u decide to do shelving ...you can add textured storage bins/boxes to hide any stuff u don't use readily or just do not want to see ,but still have interest on the shelves..color or texture...
February 18, 2013 at 8:58am   
nramsey1
I saw a picture recently of a kitchen with a loveseat in it. It was beautiful and provided additional seating. Softened the room and keeps people out of the kitchen when you are cooking.
February 18, 2013 at 2:26pm     
Jayme H.
Additionally, I would be very tempted to add upper cabinets...either glass front or open!
February 18, 2013 at 2:36pm   
conniedial
Cost effective may be a desire...can always add expensive additions later on...
February 18, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think a simple solution would be a large bakers rack made of chrome and wood to add a decorative look and functional storage too. With cook books ,plants and some of your nice dishes it would bring your personality in the space. As mentioned in a previous comment. Or a buffet with a nice mirror and a pair of lamps if this is your only dining area in the home. Nice to serve as a bar for drinks or deserts. I think you were right that the wall of cabinets would be to much. A sofa table with 2 cube storage ottomans under the table would be a nice look too and add seating for guests.
February 18, 2013 at 3:25pm     
libradesigneye
Most open shelving is going to end up looking cluttered. I vote for a sideboard to add character - like the west elm options and would send you to Room & Board for more modern pieces or check out this great contrast piece at Sundance http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/furniture+and+decor/rustic+and+vintage+furniture/consoles+and+sideboards/deepwater+6-drawer+console.do?sortby=ourPicks
February 18, 2013 at 6:04pm