Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help in Living room wall and corner
6kitchen
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our ceilings are very high in the living room. I could use some help with art on the walls and the corner near the back door.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soberg
Use paint to normalize the space. Everything 8' feet and lower one color, then walls and ceiling above a second coordinated shade. Lighter below and somewhat darker above will reduce the visibility of all that empty wall. Then choose art for just the lower painted area and leave the upper one bare, just like a ceiling would be.

The alternative is to find art that can fill that enormous wall, but I'm worried it wold overwhelm everything.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:58AM
charleee
If you are a handy person, these are great treatments for tall walls: [houzz=Family Room]
[houzz=Transitional Living Room View 2]
[houzz=Frisco European]
[houzz=Huxford Bayside]
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:01AM
6kitchen
Thank you for the comments, but our room is high but not that large with big windows. I like the paint color idea, just to get it right, 2 colors correct, lower lighter over 8ft a shade darker. correct?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:07AM
charleee
In your case that would be correct because you really want to warm up those tall walls. In the pics I've shown I just meant to look at the large artwork they've displayed, not the windows :))
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
soberg
Well, I would like to hear some professional designers chime in! And if you take a typical manufacturer's paint strip, I would love 2-3 shades apart so there is a distinct demarcation.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:39AM
cam27525
I would not paint the wall two different colors!! That suggestion is bizarre. You have big, nice, tall ceilings...most people would love that! Do not try to make your ceilings appear shorter by painting them in half when there is no reason to. I like the pictures above of the artwork on the wall.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
trasgorshek
I'm with Bobbi, either large art to draw the eye up or some kind of wall treatment like wainscoting or grass cloth wallpaper to add interest. We have a similar wall and did large art at eye level to keep the eye from getting lost up there. I would also consider lighting. An interesting light fixture will help keep the volume under control.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:29AM
6kitchen
i agree on the lamps, i am in the process of looking for 2 end tables i like, but the lamp, i don't think i can find a match to the table lamp and i like it.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:33AM
Karen Jennings Wilson
*Uplight and TALL plant in the corner.
*TALL black open bookshelf or series of freestanding shelves at the other side of the couch near the doorway. On top of that, put a TALL Plant or arrangement of some sort, again with some uplight. *Above the couch, put a series of TALL art (pictures, mirrors, or art). I drew a long narrow shelf between the art and the couch, but you wouldnt have to put that there, necessarily.
For this room, think: TALL. You will get a dramatic impact from it.

Edit~~It looks as though your ceiling is flat at the top? (Near the fan blades you can see a wee bit of white...the top ceiling.)
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:34AM
6kitchen
thanks for the link to the ehow site very helpful
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:35AM
6kitchen
Thanks for the picture!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:38AM
judianna20
This pix is an exaggeration, but illustrates my idea..

You sofa looks so short against the wall. You need a high art work and if it is in the same theme as your rug, it would be a wonderful focal point.

You sofa looks a little off center on the wall (at least in your photo). If you do tall wall decor, just purchase matching end tables with sizable lamps. The area by the door will no longer look bare.

If an investment in art is not in the picture right now, try decals. They will do the trick.

Art Wall Decals Wall Stickers Tree Decal Winter Trees by Nou Wall
Watermill Residence Interiors
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:12PM
trasgorshek
Wow Judy, love the diptych (I see a line so I'm assuming there's two canvas's). Great use of space, love it! Imagine the wall without it, it would look so empty and sad. Also gives the space a high-end feel. Can't go wrong with original art.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 5:32PM
6kitchen
where does one find art like that? it's very striking
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:48PM
trasgorshek
6Kitchen, this is just from personal experience...You can shop around and find large scale art (single canvas, diptych or triptych) but it will be pricey. Even a beginning artist, because of the scale, will be a few $'s unless they give it away. Really depends on your budget and if you can find original art to scale that you like. What I did was purchase the canvas's and did my own. Art is subjective and truly only has to appeal to you, unless you want to sell your work. I would purchase a couple of canvas's (size will depend on which direction you wish to go: horizontal or vertical) and I would have some fun. You don't have to use oil paint or anything you are not comfortable with. The above looks more like a decoupage, but not 100% sure. I would have some fun and make it personal to you. You could even take a map and wrap it around canvas with paste then put a clear coat over it. So many things you could do to create original art. The pic I have attached is my favorite example. It works because of the space and furniture selections but there is nothing on these canvas's but still looks like art, I love it!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:15PM
trasgorshek
Here is a great example of a decoupage that would be really cool in your space using newspaper.
http://www.ehow.com/how_12060334_decoupage-newspaper-canvas.html
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:22PM
6kitchen
what sizes would you use, my mind is thinkin of creative things to put on the canvas
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:34PM
trasgorshek
Do you want to go vertical like pics Judy and Bobbi showed? And are you keeping the same furniture? If so, what's the length of your couch and what's the height of the wall from the left side (closest to the glass door) of your couch, measuring from the couch up?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:46PM
joanbllt
Use three strips of colorful fabric hanging behind the sofa ending just above the sofa, or even hang a lightweight rug with your colors on that wall. My daughter hung a 5"X 7' Kandinsky style rug on her 20ft high brick fireplace.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:26PM
6kitchen
could you send a picture please
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:40PM
joanbllt
Will have to go get a picture - will try today
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:16AM
joanbllt
Camera batteries died - I was thinking of a rug like this
http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/130573/Momeni/Delhi/DL22/Black.
or http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/121932/Milliken/Pastiche/Remous7425/Ebony24
and http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/163091/Momeni/LilMoHipster/LMT9/Grey

Rugs Direct have a large selection of contemporary rugs - could also check with local rug shops.
The less expensive rugs also are lighter weight - therefore easier to hang.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:06PM
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
My store sells large prints on aluminum. They are light and can hang only one push pin. I think this room will benefit from bright abstraction like this one: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/red-1/products/abstract_print_on_aluminum_-5493 or same art but split into a triptych: http://alexeirebrov.com/products/living-room-wall-design-17
Prints are ready in 3 days and delivered within 2 weeks. You are welcome to browse the store and let me know if you need a custom size.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 8:20PM
PRO
Susan Ellis - Fine Artist
Hi 6kitchen! Could I be so bold as to suggest a lovely floral or commissioned work. Take a look at my page on Houzz! Here is an example. Happy Decorating!
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 6:13AM