Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help going from old stained kitchen cupboards to paint & glazing
Burgess Rv Sales Burgess
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to take my old kitchen cupboards and paint then a white and then glaze with a really dark color as my new floor is a dark chocolate cork planks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I would agree with everything you're saying, except the chocolate glaze. Glazes have gone out of fashion and are not as popular anymore, plus, to me they've always made white cabinets look dirty. In your case, I would look into painting the upper cabinets a light color and the lowers a darker color. Is it possible to add a white panel to your dishwasher to make all the appliances match? [houzz=Kathia's Old Kitchen]
[houzz=Heights Kitchen Remodel]
[houzz=Bosch Kitchens]
February 18, 2013 at 7:14am     
Burgess Rv Sales Burgess
Good points and yes we are needing a new dishwasher anyway so will go with white front. I'm not real fond of the light tops and dark bottoms but do agree now that I have looked at some pics of the glazed over the white. What is a good white shade there are so many? And do you have method of going from the stained old cupboards to painting them.
February 18, 2013 at 11:49am   
onthefence
Before you paint, can I suggest that you remove your current hinges and replace them with something less visible? You'll probably need to do some patching, so doing it now is the best move.

If you do white/cream on the cabinets, the current hinges are REALLY going to stand out.
February 18, 2013 at 11:52am     
charleee
For a kitchen with white appliances I recommend Behr Ultra Pure White. It's appliance white. You will need to degrease/rinse all the cabinets and doors, and if you go with onthefence's suggestion of hidden hinges (GREAT suggestion!) you will need to fill the existing hinge holes with putty. Sand everything. You can then prime the cabinets before you paint, I just used the Behr Premium Plus paint because it already contains primer. Not everyone will agree with that, but it worked for me :))

Just a thought - the open area where the fridge was? Installing sturdy shelving and a power strip will give you a place for all the misc. small appliances and keep them off the counters.
February 18, 2013 at 12:14pm   
jrbell
I noticed the cabinet doors have a dated groove cut in them. I would fill those in with wood putty, sand really well then paint white. Update the hinges and pulls in a brushed nickel. If you wanted a more three dimensional door look apply new trim to the doors. Takes a little effort to miter the strips but worth it. Glazing is not out of style. If a light glaze is done properly it looks incredible but done best if the doors are not flat.
February 18, 2013 at 12:21pm   
LEYA Matalas
A few things. When you remove the doors- try to install new soft close hidden hinges to update the entire kitchen. Blum sells excellent ones, Ask around in your area. Ikea is also good. Don't go for stark white, a softer - light beige/wht will look warmer and sets off dark floor beautifully. Up date hardware. ( handles to a sleek un-embellished handle. the backsplash should marry the colours of the floor and cabinets. Here is an example of what you can do- Enjoy your project.
February 18, 2013 at 12:55pm     
speckledcat
Go to www.painterforum.com/ and check on their message board. DIYers can ask questions that will be answered by professional painters. You can probably find all kinds of helpful advice just by searching, but if you post your own questions, the professionals are very helpful and gracious, and they usually reply promptly. I would pay particular attention to replies from the moderators or old hands.
February 18, 2013 at 12:58pm   
Burgess Rv Sales Burgess
Wow! great stuff, I was really timmid about doing the glazing and not liking it afterwards but now that I have seen alot of pics of just doing white, I think I will stick with that but not stark white I want something just a little no so brilliant. I love the Leya Matalas example with the kitchen back splashes. thanks for everything. Any other suggestions I will keep checking back.
February 18, 2013 at 3:04pm