Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
curtain color
pearlydog
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Pale yellow walls, natural white wool rug, brown leather chair, aqua love seat and brown and white slipcovered chair that is not friendly with other fabrics ... want to introduce a little orange/tangerine. What should I do for curtains? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soberg
To pull together disparate colors, I like to make an anonymous fabric designer from the past do all the work. Just go to a well-stocked fabric store and look around 'til you find a fabric incorporating all or most of those colors. (You have to like the fabric of course.) Wallpaper can also work. Buy a piece of the fabric or paper and use it as your color guide, for shades, balance and possible additional accent colors. You can then make pillows or a throw, or back your bookcases with the paper.
February 18, 2013 at 7:22AM   
joannpb
I like your color sense - that vase of flowers by the window is exactly the right note! Go fabric hunting for something with those floral colors (think poppies and/or tulips) and be sure to get that tiny touch of blue - Perfect.
February 18, 2013 at 7:39AM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning Purl,
I think tangerine would look AMAZING in your space.
(Which, - by the way - already looks amazing....you've done a great job!!!)
I've digitally added a few tangerine items to your room to help you visualize!!!
Have fun and please post photos once your project is complete!
Caroline :)
February 18, 2013 at 7:56AM     
pearlydog
You are all amazing and wonderful to take the time to give me some advice ... thank you!!! Caroline, thank you for helping me visualize - I think I'll do it!
February 18, 2013 at 8:13AM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I agree Caroline has done a great job, and what is more it brings out the colours of your blue and white ceramic jug collection.However, instead of stripes I would go for a more subtle geometric pattern

February 18, 2013 at 8:26AM     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
ASVInteriors hit in on the nose! Thats a perfect fabric and then maybe add a kidney pillow to your sofa that has a touch of orange and some blues and chocolates too. What a great space!
Starburst Mirror
Glenwood Residence
February 18, 2013 at 8:36AM     
joannpb
Caroline, Nice! And, I agree with ASV - a little softer than stripes.
February 18, 2013 at 8:59AM     
sandra1942
I would add curtains to match walls. A great background for the wonderful colors in the room; it's a small area to draw too much attention to. You have dark furniture. Add color with coffee table accessories, tops of large cabinets. Move some of the pitchers to open space and add small touches of color. Yellow and blue are soft. Use soft coral to compliment.
February 18, 2013 at 9:07AM   
pearlydog
Thanks again! I appreciate your thoughts so much!
February 18, 2013 at 12:27PM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
My pleasure! Have fun with it! :)
February 18, 2013 at 5:32PM   
cjohnston
pearlydog, I love your rug! Could you tell me the manufacturer and/or where you got it? thanks!
February 18, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Sandra Huston
I like the idea of the tangerine - but I would be more apt to add that with your accessories. I would look at more of a linen drapery panel - something with some texture. Then pull in the tangerine on your throw pillows or in some accessories on you table!
February 18, 2013 at 6:29PM   
Sandra Huston
Also, after looking at your picture is there any way you can shift your cabinets over in order to hang your drapes a little wider to make your window look a little larger? It would be nice if the panels could hang just at the frame to make your window. Little more substantial. I would also consider breaking up your collection of jugs in the shelf. They are very pretty but might be more impactful if they were not so jammed up on your shelf!
February 18, 2013 at 6:33PM   
rachealy
Hello! Nice colours, you should put shutters! Simple white ones would look nice from the inside and outside.
February 18, 2013 at 6:36PM   
eogorman
How about a valance incorporating the tangerine and some soft sheer panels underneath? This way you get to incorporate the tangerine without it overpowering.
February 18, 2013 at 6:55PM   
pearlydog
cjohnston, the rug is a Spectrum Cream wool rug from CompanyC.
February 18, 2013 at 7:02PM   
cjohnston
Thank you, pearlydog!
February 19, 2013 at 4:32PM   
hepphouse
Some of your furniture looks like rough surface and I would compliment with a burnt orange burlap or textured wide weave for the curtains.
February 19, 2013 at 4:41PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.