Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I leave the ceiling?
Chris Paulson
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our lounge ceiling is tongue and grove, together with the brick wall can make it feel dark.

Should I paint the ceiling white?

Should I get the ceiling plastered?

Should I leave it original 70's groovy?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DIAspoton
the white is too harsh with the brick. a light weathered gray would work well. do some homework on how to best achieve this. probably a white satin or diluted paint then agray stain over that. maybe just a gray stain then drybrushing white in areas to highlight.
paint the door and wall trim taupe.

change the light fixture to a much larger, updated look. add wall decor.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:09AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
If you were going to change your decor back to either industrial chic or modern retro I would say leave it. People would kill for that look! However, if your style is more traditional or gentle contemporary - paint the wood is the most effective option. I have done it for a number of clients. It will take a few coats to do it any colour you wish. I would try for a taupe whic would reflect nicely your furnishings and still add some warmth from above.
Would you gain more light if you got rid of the wood where your curtains are? Is that possible. Visually it brings the roof down lower and cuts the window, making it seem more oppressive than it is.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:14AM
Chris Paulson
Thanks for the help. I'm trying for a modern look, I know it doesn't look like it yet because of my furniture, but they are from my previous house which was a period type house.

The white walls was by my hand I'm afraid. I thought it was better than the green and peach walls.

I've got a plan to paint the whole house white, not sure if that is a cliché for a modern house.

I plan to put black american walnut laminate flooring down to match the dinning room.

I also plan a nice big white Italian (Chinese) designer corner sofa in.

I guess I'm going to need a lot of help, I had to google taupe and industrial chic.

Thanks
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:33PM
Chris Paulson
I've added the glass corner for context
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:35PM
betsyweisberg
I would paint the entire room white even the brick for a clean canvas
Gallery modern feel
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:36PM
PRO
Lauren Gray Kitchen Designs
My original thought was, unless you love the original brick, to paint the brick white and leave the wood natural. Creating that crisp modern feel with a little warmth from the wood.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:38PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
" I had to google taupe and industrial chic." (smile) - anything we can do to help please keep posting!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:41PM
Chris Paulson
I have considered painting the brick white as suggested because I think it's the main culprit for darkening the room. However it requires a lot of bravery and there's no going back once it's done. It is also an original 70's feature I'd be destroying.

It's difficult to be brave when you know you lack taste ;)
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Okay - it is the path of least resistance and also a very effective solution.

We can confuse you with greige and taupes and ochres but frankly stick with what you know - that is the best path. I think this white work fine.

I love your idea of black walnut floors and I look forward to seeing your Chinese sofa.

Be prepared for the visual space you get. It might also seem a little cold. But one step at a time and we can walk you through - it's our pleasure!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:57PM
onthefence
I dig the 70s groovy ;-) I think the new furniture and flooring are your best start. Probably new drapes/window coverings as well? Something with oomph.

I completely agree about not painting the brick until you're 157% committed to that solution.

Poke around at some photos here in the browse rooms section. Use filtering criteria like painted wood ceiling or brick wall. See if anything grabs you. Personally, I think you've got the beginnings of something spectacular there without painting the bricks. Right now, the jury is out for me on the ceiling.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:57PM
Eloïse Bélanger
Leave Leave Leaaaaaave the ceiling!!!! Your brick is gorgeous and your ceiling is gorgeous. Just not together.

If I were you I would "whitewash" the brick to make it brighter but still see the details of the brick. Instructions here: http://www.beneathmyheart.net/2012/08/how-to-white-wash-brick-bathroom-update/

Good luck and tell us how it turns out. Some people (including I) would drool for your place. Please don't destroy its features, it's so lovely.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 1:58PM
Chris Paulson
Here is a room which I've already painted the ceiling and put in the flooring. It was an easy decision with the dinning room because it was like a cave.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:08PM
Darzy
I think I'd leave the groovy brick and go for industrial chic. I'd start by painting the wood on the walls and cornice box antique white (leaving the ceiling alone for now). That area alone may be enough to brighten the space. If you love the look, you can decide to paint the ceiling, or not.
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:08PM
Rachel Miller
Maybe "whitewash" the wood as it is easier to strip. Love the brick!!!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
Darzy
PS...I think I'd paint the walls the color of the mortar of the brick. :)
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:11PM
PRO
Lauren Gray Kitchen Designs
While I love the idea and look of the whitewashed brick, after seeing your picture, I think you've changed my mind. I love the brick and that floor together, I think white wash the wood ceiling would be the way to go..
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:54AM
sandra1942
I had a kitchen with "bleached" wood cabinets. It was done before we bought it so I don't know the process, but regular wood would have been awful.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:03AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would not paint the brick or the wood. It is a great contemporary look as it is. While I do not particularly like white walls, I think they are OK here. I do not however like that white panel at the bottom of the brick in the first picture..what is that. If it is wood, I would have it match the other wood on the ceiling & wall. What I see as what is wrong is there is no color and all is hodge podge. The new sofa sounds great, add a very large colorful patterned rug with a light background after your flooring is in. Your dining area also needs a rug. Use colors in your new rug for sofa pillows and accents. New drapery..not so drab..lighter in color. Modern tables & lamps. Then art work...over the glass door with the peak, maybe a large metal sculpture. On the brick wall, hang some large colorful art & or groupings of good sized art framed the same. A larger wall unit for the TV with storage and shelves. Art work on that wall as well. And green plants.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:11AM
Chris Paulson
Thanks for the ideas.

The white panel is a radiator, a very large one...
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I think it's a matter of preference. Personally, I love the brick and wood. You could add some art or a different light fixture to brighten up the space. Maybe some lighter drapery. I'd also consider painting those white walls to something softer. I'm thinking an earth tone would be nice.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:28AM
onthefence
Chris, your dining area with the new floor and painted ceiling looks great!

I second Darzy's idea about painting the wood on the wall and the cornice box white. That, combined with new floor, furniture and other decor items may give just the light you need without having to paint the ceiling.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:29AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Cheers, Chris -- Get thee an electrician! Even if silvered conduit has to show, adding to your industrial chic, your architecture needs to come out of the shadows. If you can run lighting inside that wooden valence, imagine the up and down glow you'll get on your wood and curtains, which I'm showing all the way to the wall. A dramatic white modern chandelier and sconse by the door, your white couch, some funky art, your new floors and a shag rug...Austin Powers eat your heart out, baby!
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
Chris Paulson
Yes there is already the wiring waiting for a light in the ceiling. Guess the previous owners didn't like the light.

I'm hunting for the right kind of light to put there and have the bravery to stand on a step ladder and wire it in.

There is already lighting in the valence. At the moment it's 2 x 6 foot florescent tubes. Hoping to replace with an LED tube or with some LED tape. If I use LED tape hopefully I can get it to got under the other valence/cornice.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:38AM
Chris Paulson
These are the 3 sofas I'm considering.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:49AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I tend to go for angular so I would go for the last one you posted. I have never been a fan of rounded corners so the second would be my last choice. Also do pay attention to how they place rugs. This will come in handy for your next challenge!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:00PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the sofas..my favorite is the first one.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:04PM
judianna20
I am with Darzy. I would try the lighting route first. You are going to need overhead lighting, anyway. That might make all the difference in the world with the ceiling.

1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:13PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Your location and that chandelier and sconce I showed you made me think of a B&W of the London Eye -- or is that just too "American Tourist-y?"
Here are some images -- I particularly like those with just a portion of the eye -- the one with fierce storm clouds, or with Parliament in the background: http://www.bing.com/images/results.aspx?q=london+eye+black+and+white&form=MSNH14&pq=london+eye+black+and&sc=1-20&sp=1&qs=AS&sk=
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:16PM
Chris Paulson
I'm not near the London eye. But there is this within walking distance of my house something which is pleasing if you like buildings: -
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=quarndon&hl=en&ll=52.959952,-1.536536&spn=0.002637,0.008256&hnear=Quarndon,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.960063,-1.536521&panoid=UoNeokbFcFMRKSJfAiHtBA&cbp=12,152.19,,0,7.81

Like the bridlepath interior - like the lighter bricks.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:30PM
judianna20
wow, Chris, Downton Abbey :>)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:32PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Hmm not sure that quite goes with the direction you seem to be going - unless you like a touch of irony! But hey, if it works.
Do you like buildings? Or what would you like to see on the walls in terms of prints/photography etc
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:34PM
Chris Paulson
I quite like the ready done pictures from a certain well known Swedish shop.

Something like this Banksy: -
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:46PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I love Banksy (and would so go with the look you seem to be heading for). Saw his exhibition in Bristol a few years ago!

Try to avoid the Swedish shop - although again path of least resistance
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
If you're going for the Banksy look then leave the brick and be original just like the pictures and paint the ceiling any colour you want to match your decor! Those couches are very big and white.....the ceiling would be a great way to tie in with the picture you pick. I really like the Mona Lisa one. Tone down the cold leather look with some textures.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:06PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
You could even do some of your own graffiti on the brick!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:19PM
bubblyjock
We have a pine t&g ceiling and I despise it. It makes the room dark and sucks up all the light, ugh.

If you want a white ceiling, imo don't bother trying to seal and paint that wood - better to rip it out, or just drywall over the top of it.

Sealers are expensive, and eventually often even the very best ones allow a leeeetle bit of the pine sap to stain through, which looks horrible.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:21PM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I would take an opposite approach--I would darken the wood (with wood stain) and paint the brick a lightcolor such as gray --also paint the heating unit (Iassume that is what it is) to match the painted wall. Then you can replace the existing wall sconces with halogen sconces pointing up to light the ceiling and provide some drama. Finally I would introduce som additional color and pattern with new curtains and area rug.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:32PM
PRO
Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
I would leave the brick & ceiling. It is a nice contempory look! Would paint the walls and get rid of that stark white! Make sure the white is painted below the brick and on the door. Bring in some colorful window panels and add artwork and it will really make a difference.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:41PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Banksy is brilliant for your space!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:08PM
bumbles12
It's a lovely room. I have seen these ceiling painted in a semi gloss and they look fantastic. Maybe a soft creamy colour or a soft grey?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:20PM
PRO
FN Design
Leave the brick and ceiling, they're awesome looking. Paint the rest of the wooden walls and add lighting... natural light wood be best but not sure if you could add a couple of sky lights? Sorry for the crappy pshops of your original pics but it gives you an idea of having just those sections painted.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:02PM
Chris Paulson
I've managed to move the room on and thought I'd share some pictures.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 2:17AM
bumbles12
The light furniture has made a very big difference. Looks really great!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 2:42AM
DIAspoton
looking good
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:41AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Love the painting!!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:49AM
rredpenn
the maid is perfect for the room, but maybe putting her ground level makes more sense? love the room!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:01AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
You went for Banksy good for you!!!! Really looking good (and glad you kept the wall and the ceiling)
Here are some cushion ideas http://www.debenhamsweddings.com/product/we-love-cushions-banksy-inspired-pulp-fiction-cushion-48x48cm/304061802280/
and you need a bigger rug
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:37AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Thank you for posting an update, Chris! Looks great!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Request design advice from the Pros for an inspiring exterior!
Here is my colonial stucco home. I am changing the...
kellychipley
Help! Teens Color Bedroom
hi I would to ask what color suits on the wall and...
sheena_
Dining room options..
A few different design options (true-to-life images)...
VANGUARD development
Bathroom style and color
Here are some bathroom designs..
VANGUARD development
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.