Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need tips on painting our pine ceiling.
Bonnie Goodyear
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We will installing new cabinets. Possibly white shaker. What color white should I use on the ceiling and what kind of finish. Any tips will be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
In a kitchen on trim I recommend at least a satin gloss. Color of the ceiling should match the rest of the trim in the room. So if the window trim in the picture stays, so with that. Are you painting out your beams as well? No matter, just like to see big pieces of lumber! If you are having any drywall done, have the trim around the the beam, where it hits the wall, removed. Have the drywall finisher flat tape and finish up to the beam. Much cleaner look.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:25AM
aniluap2
I had a similar ceiling, without the beams , installed in my kitchen with white shaker cabinets. I used BM white dove in satin gloss( not too shiny) for it and all the trim ...looks stunning. I agree with Ironwood's comment. The beams might look really interesting left natural depending on the rest of the kitchen.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:42AM
nicki2259
Put your White cabinets up before you commit to painting your ceiling....you may find that you do want to paint after all. It's a nice architectural detail.
9 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:43AM
feeny
I love your ceiling as is, and like nicki, I feel it could make a beautiful architectural accent with simple white Shaker cabinets.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:46AM
aniluap2
The commenters above may have a point. I painted my ceiling wood because paint grade wood was more affordable. However, If your ceilings are not particularly high or the kitchen is dark, painting them might open up the space and make it seem brighter.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:54AM
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Let me add. Save yourself alot of grief, as wood is notorious for " bleeding through". Use a good quality primer / sealer/ stain blocker prior to paint.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:12AM
Lizabeth
If you are doing white cabinets you will need to see that white before you can decide on the ceiling color. And just my opinion if you keep the wood it will look nice with the white shaker cabinets, just like wood floors look great in kitchens with white cabinets and then you don't have to worry about your blue under toned whites and your warm whites clashing with each other.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:32AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Thank you so much. Now I'm starting to doubt my decision on painting the ceiling.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
libradesigneye
I echo those who think you will be happier with your existing ceiling than to paint it out. It goes beautifully with the white shaker cabinets and adds style instead of detracting from where you are headed. Big question is to ask what colors you use in your living spaces? kitchen? That will help guide us as we envision finished space.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:06PM
Bonnie Goodyear
We r planning to change all the colors on this level . We r also planning on changing out the flooring. We hv combination of wood and tile right now. The hardwood is very worn and we thinking f replacing it with new wood. I have a mocha color on my kitchen now and chocolate brown on the living room. I really dislike the brown with the wood . I was thinking of doing my island in a vibrant color like yellow. Not sure how it would go with the ceiling left wood.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:21PM
aniluap2
I do think if the wood on the floor is stained a different color to the ceiling it will be a little much. If yo paint the ceiling ou could stain the beams the floor color and still have some natural wood exposed.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:43PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Any suggestions has to what I can do with my fireplace to make it more interesting? We r changing the wall colors . It's in a corner and walls go up about 20 ft. Everything I put there is lost.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:32AM
nicki2259
Regarding painting your kitchen island bright yellow....ummm....think hard about that one. So far it seems you are heading towards a great re-do with the new cabinets and floor,,,if you want some interest or some texture consider an accent on the island of yellow - but the whole thing may be too much and throw the room off balance. Also, I disagree with aniluap that a different stained floor would be too much...I don't think it would if you do a complimenting stain. I have a log home and we have lots of different woods and tones...seems to work fine.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:14PM
aniluap2
I agree that different tones of wood may look good in a log cabin , but you have to keep in mind that the cabinets are going to be white, with the island being another painted wood color and a different color on counters. I'm just saying different shades of wood in that setting may be different to a rustic log cabin and there might be too much going on. However, it is a personal preference and it's whatever one is comfortable living with.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:14PM
Lizabeth
I can't see that being a problem, a wood floor and a wood ceiling. In fact it gives a cerain symmetry and warmth to the room. I love when two complimentary types of wood are used in a room, such as maple and cherry. Or walnut and birch. There are any number of wood grains and stains that look good together. As for white cabinets and contrast island that should not affect someone having two woods in the room. I have seen this done in very high end homes. Perhaps this is seen more often on the West Coast and in the Pacific Northwest. Look at some of the white kitchens. You will see some with contrast walnut countertops and oak floors. Yes one does have to balance the warms and cools but it keeps the space from looking flat. Everyone has their own preference/ tolerance for these looks. Some women wear all the same color head to toe and others wear a colorful jacket patterned scarf and white pants and look great. It is always about personal choice.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:43PM
libradesigneye
Thanks for telling us more of your vision for your new kitchen. Goal is for you to have the space help you feel happy when complete.

I'm guessing a bit here, but I think the concern above was that even if the ceiling was painted, you will still have a lot of wood which has trouble playing well with bright yellow adjacent. Golden straw is about as close to bright yellow that I could recommend next to a wood floor and then you don't get the pop.

Using bright yellow as a tabletop / appliance accent when you have pine tones echos the wood and gives you the bright tone you love. That might be more powerful if you would consider punching the island bright with a more classic robins egg (muted blue blue-green) or denim blue if your palette wants true blue, might work stronger for your overall look with white cabinets, yellow accents and wood floors - no matter what you do with the ceiling. There are other choices but these are most perfect with sunshine yellow.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:55PM
cyn222
With white cabinets I would totally just leave the pine. Gorgeous!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:59PM
aniluap2
My iPad limits my ability to upload pictures and I have to be out the door shortly, but you might want to search bead board ceilings on Houzz. I just did that and they had some stunning rooms. Most were painted but one had a dark stained ceiling so it may give you a better visual of what it will look like.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:23AM
Greg Jackson
Personally, I would leave the wood as is as a great overall accent to all of the painted items. I just like that country "flavor" of the wood.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:48AM
Bonnie Goodyear
Ok here is another issue to add to the ceiling dilemma 'to paint or not to paint the ceiling'. You see the ceiling in the top of the pic, well that's my living room that is open to the kitchen in the bottom of the pic. Both ceilings do not run together but you can see both at the same time . We do not want to take on the task of painting the living room. Can I still get away with painting the kitchen ceiling? Oh we r planning on changing out that railing and changing the wall colors. Thank you so much for all this help.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:27AM
bevballew
Oh my gosh. Your ceilings are gorgeous. You should go through the houzz kitchens. I believe it is called the beach or cottage look. With white cabinets it is stunning! Then I believe black accents would be introduced. Your ceiling is gorgeous. Once you paint it is never the same. If you are planning to get new cabinets I would wait to do anything with the ceiling. Do look at houzz kitchens and you will see what I mean. You have a cool house! Then you paint the railing going upstairs with white spindles and the black railing.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:40AM
Greg Jackson
I don't see why you couldn't still paint the kitchen ceiling. I'm guessing you'll be using basic ceiling white.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:43AM
nicki2259
I say with much more certainty.....don't paint the ceiling !
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:30PM
justmejoanne
Don't paint!!!! The ceiling is gorgeous!
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:54PM
lydiaf
Wow, I love the wood ceilings. If they were mine, I wouldn't paint at all. The wood has pretty grain and knots, but still has a very clean, almost scandinavian look to it that will look great with simple shaker style cabs.

I really really really think you should do nothing to the ceiling until you have the cabs in. As someone said above, once you paint them, it's nigh unto impossible to go back.

I would definitely change out the stair parts - they aren't in character with the rest of this space and look dated. I would go with simple square lines. You could do wrought iron balusters with wood newell and rail - they could be painted white to pick up on the white cabs - you have a lot of options.

If you still feel compelled to paint, perhaps consider a milk paint or more of a pickled treatment on the ceiling. As someone mentioned earlier, unless you have paint-grade wood and a proper prep job, knots and woodgrain easily bleeds through.

You have a great space, and wonderful wood 'bones' - have fun.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:12PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love the wood as it is I wouldn't change it.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:14PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Oh my I love all these suggestions . I think I am almost convinced to leave the ceilings. At least I will wait till the cabinets are in . The process is begun. I have had one cabinet company here and I am waiting on the quote and drawings. I have also contacted a woodworking co. that does stairs. Just waiting on his suggestions and quotes. I will keep u posted and will have many more questions as everything comes in place.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:06AM
Micky
Have you heard of white washing?
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:16AM
PRO
lewis + smith
I think the ceiling looks great the way it is. I am in the don't paint it camp.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:26AM
lisacabinetree
White cabinets and a medium to darker stained wood floor will look amazing with that ceiling!!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:42AM
Bonnie Goodyear
I have heard and seen white white washing. Wasn't sure how it would work where the ceiling is already stained. I also thought it would the kitchen a more country look which I was staying away from. Does anyone have any suggestions for wall paint colors. Keeping in mind the white shaker cabinets, wood ceiling, red cedar stairs, possibly slightly darker wood floors, and I would still love a colored island( painted).
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:06PM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Despite the painted ceiling, here is an example of how natural wood, wood accents, and white appliances are complimentary and can work well together with the ceiling you have in place. Consider upgrading your kitchen in a way that integrates universal design, which is a value add, if you have the room. This kitchen was not expensive, using alder/birch cabinets, laminate counters and a sheet vinyl floor. If you want to upgrade your floor, please consider that darker stained wood shows wear, especially with indoor pets. I would suggest a honed stone tile or slate in a complimentary hue would be a nice upgrade.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:41PM
Denice Shuty
Tile your floor, not wood. Also, have you looked at the cool new click-together linoleum floors? Great colors, easy installation over your wood floor, eco friendly I think (see recent episode of Hometime). You might want to look at some examples of Scandinavian "primitive" style for your kitchen and living room.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:57PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Thank you DMH design. Not sure I understand what you mean when you mentioned if we have room?? I think I am not loving that particular look in the pic. Maybe I'm too stuck on the white shaker. I think I'm also too tired of looking at the light wood cabinets that I have.
We really hadn't planned on a really dark floor but thought it would be nice to match the beams and staircase.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:49PM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Your welcome. No idea is a blanket fit. It was simply to convey how a bold wall color can work with other warm wood colors and white appliances (or cabinets). One of the reasons this color combo can work is that the kitchen is open to other rooms, and gets a lot of natural light. A darker color for your walls, maintaining the ceilings as is, with a similar (matching) floor color can work, as the kitchen appears to be open to adjacent spaces. My floor comment was reinforcing your reservation about dark floors. My "if you have room" comment was based upon the idea that if you are replacing cabts, you may want to consider modifying the layout to increase functionality and maneuverability within the space. I do like the open staircase, and I think a railing that has square ballistrades and corner posts would be more in keeping with the overall style of your home. A panographic photo from a lower angle, showing the kitchen, (nook?) and dining would be helpful, in terms of giving you better advice than I can offer from the photos I see. I hope this helps. Best Wishes.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:39PM
Bonnie Goodyear
DMHdesign here r a couple more pics. Also I had a early post with some better pics. Don't know if u can see them.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:51PM
Bonnie Goodyear
Here's a better one showing the dining area.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:53PM
bevballew
I say you bring in a more white for the beach, cottage look. I am unsure why tiling over a wood floor. You need to look at some cottage style houses on houzz and see if you like that look.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Leave the ceiling as is...but put up the white shaker cabinets!! I love that ceiling the way it is....good luck...
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:14PM