Professionals
Users
Ideas please.....!!!!
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Centerpiece and the art work.....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninibiza
How about some type of an iron wall plaque, or 3-d texture wall art piece, for the table you could look at home decorators, horchow, overstock.com, ballard designs, etc. for art pieces. Another great source is Z-Gallerie.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:44AM
sandra1942
Color, color, color. The dark chairs make the room dreary. The biggest, most colorful art on the wall you can get (and afford). Cost Plus Warehouse Market, don't laugh, has some great ones. Add a colorful runner. Centerpiece of crystal-type bowl (adds sparkle) with colorful orbs. Pier 1 has some new ones. The rug doesn't help. Paint wall opposite mirror a color. Mirror will reflect that back. Lots of candles when using.
7 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:00AM
cdpearman
I love your room!! I just saw a show home that put an iron curtain rod over each window, but extend it further to the side about the same width as the window. Hang drapes to the floor in a light colour , or an accent colour if you wish(sheer cream would go well here. I would match the trim colour). It made the room airy looking, It also gives the illusion that the windows are much wider than they really are An arrangement in the centre of the table would just finish it off. Beautiful .
Diana
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:10AM
nramsey1
The room is great. The chairs are too heavy. Change them out for lighter weight chairs. Perhaps red painted chairs. Or choose fabric for drapes and choose a color from them for the chairs.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:13PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I cannot change the chairs now, I have to work with what I have. Thank you for your suggestions though!!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:34PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
A more modern light would help with the scale of the chairs....like a drum chandelier and it would look more modern. That light is too small for the scale of the table.
12 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:35PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I will change the light for sure.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:38PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I want to find a centerpiece that looks nice, .... Looking for ideas.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:40PM
nancy22032
The chandelier is too small too dated. You need a big important looking modern chandelier to balance the large table and reflect in the morror. The lighting websites have great fixtures at not too great a price. Of course color is necessary and you have lots of good suggestions for that.
5 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:42PM
aksnt11
Try adding some greenery! Your room looks look great, a plant or collection of a few on the table as a centerpiece would bring in a spalsh of green, a large standing green plant in the corner would add great color and some life into the room.
6 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:47PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
On your table, I would like to see two urns or vases or ginger jars, for color. Then when you're having guests, you could add flowers in between the colorful pair, taking your color cue, of course, from them.
By the way, I like the dining room chairs that are in the first photo.

For the artwork that you need, I would move the mirror to the end of the table where it would hung vertically and place a large painting on the wall where the mirror is now. It would be nice if the painting repeated the colors of your rug and your centerpieces. I'd like you to add a recessed spotlight directed toward the painting. Z Gallerie is a good source of artwork at fairly reasonable prices.

Then, for your new chandelier, the drum shade fixture below is a stunner and is from Z Gallerie, but I like the 2nd chandelier also. There are many that would work for you.
Old Greenwich Beach Cottage
Abstract Landscape Paintings
chicago Tuxedo Chandelier Bling Chandelier by Robert Abbey
8 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:05PM
PRO
Elite Fixtures
We agree with Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design! The tuxedo chandelier would look wonderful! You can find it here: http://www.elitefixtures.com/index.cfm/Uttermost-21130-Uttermost-Tuxedo-6-Light-Black-Shade-Chandelier-Tuxedo/p209016
Good luck :)
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:14PM
sandra1942
Sparkling chandelier for sure! Also, every room should have a touch of yellow.
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:22PM
bougiebabe
I love the chairs & table! I think the room needs "Bling"! Window treatments in a gray silk.Curtain just across the windows. A drum chandelier with crystals. Using three long vertical mirrors would make more of a statement. Maybe a real nice wallpaper on the wall where the mirror is located.Bling is not costly if you get one piece every month. Before you know it, it's just how you want it.I loveee the rug! good luck shopping!
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:24PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Any store you recommend?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:09PM
PRO
Elite Fixtures
For lighting choose us! :)
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:11PM
njmomma
The tuxedo light is great! I would use a simple centerpiece like the one below, no runner. Art inspiration below
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:20PM
bougiebabe
I would use Z galleries as my guide of what appeals to you. Then shop at Ross, TJ Max, kind of stores to find at a lower price. This has worked for me. I Am In Love With Homegoods! Would live inside that store if I could! Zgalleries on line always has discounts. Yo may have to splurge on certain items but discount look alikes are out there. Be patient enjoy the adventure of the Hunt! Love getting what I want at a bargain!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:48PM
sandra1942
How about the two end chairs. Upholstered to add color?
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 5:08PM
PRO
I would have all the chairs the same style, with the ski slope arms such as you see in the first photo I posted above. While you could have the host and hostess chairs of the same design but in a different color, I would prefer to bring in color elsewhere, unless you want to use 3 or 4 different colors for all the chairs.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all! I was just going to say Happy Sunday but realized it is Monday!

Ornela - Love your dining room. You're getting some really great advice!

I like Carolyn's idea of moving the mirror to between the windows and hanging it vertically. The mirror looks like it has a gold finish -- is that right?

I also love the Tuxedo chandelier but I am quite biased as we carry it in our store (& the Tuxedo collection is one of my favorites).

I'm wondering what is on the walls we don't see - is the wall to the right just a half-wall? Is there a wall to the left of the camera?

If there isn't a wall to the left of the camera - is it open to the living room or the kitchen? Any chance you could upload a couple more pictures?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 5:36PM
PRO
If that is a gold finish on the mirror and I do think that essentials is correct, then I would want you to paint it silvery before hanging it on the wall with a chrome chandelier over the table.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:47PM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Omela,
Wonderful advice on this feed! And, I love your dining room...you have a great space to work with!
It's going to look incredible!!!
I too am a huge fan of the tuxedo light and have included it in this visual for you!
Good luck and have fun!!!
Caroline :)
10 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:56PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I am having some great advices from wonderful people in this site. Yes, the mirror has a gold frame and the wall to the right is a half wall. Open space to living room where I stood to take the picture. I will upload more pics a bit latter. I appreciate all your advices :)
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
Keitha
A suggested look for the window wall? Drapes pulled over to each side... Great center mirror then replace existing rectangular mirror with artwork.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:15PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Don't you guys think the mirror is too big to be between the windows?
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:34PM
smelling
wainscoting the walls, different rug that contracts the space, drapes that start from the ceiling, contrasting table center piece, lighter chairs when you can afford to switch them out
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:01PM
nukiegirl
Caroline awesome picture, loved the red flowers on the table but too much with the urns. Omela Love your dining room set including the chairs! It is timeless and should last forever. No need to get new chairs IMO! Love leather esp for children and sloppy eaters!
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:19PM
PRO
I do not think the mirror is too big to go on wall at end of table, vertically. Why not take it down, lean it against the wall and let us see it before you hang it there. I'm perfectly happy to admit if I'm wrong.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:17AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Thank you Carolin, I'll do it :)
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 7:43AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
more pics
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:00AM
inabunker
I would swap out the chairs. They look too heavy - almost like being in a business board room. I like the lighter chairs suggested by Carolyn Albert. Then a new light fixture with some pizzazz and some color on the walls.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:20AM
sandra1942
The different views help visualize. The corner windows need to be dressed. I like the picture of the drape on each side with mirror (and yes, I agree that mirror is too big) wouldn't work with that corner. Look at pictures, etc., but have a designer help with custom window treatments. Since the mirror is what guests look at when they come in there I would put artwork, one big wonderful piece you love. The mirror placed vertically would add drama and reflect back lighting from the living room, I would only change it to another finish if you don't like it. As is, it's a lovely mirror. The windows can wait if budget is an issue. Your shutters/blinds can provide privacy. Don't rush the windows. Take the time to be sure of what you want.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:27AM
PRO
I think your shutters are lovely. The mirror, which you already have, would add wonderful sparkle between the windows. Then colorful artwork would enliven the area. I like draperies, but not with your windows.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:34AM
PRO
Shakúff
How about some of our lighting? It will add lots of drama to the room. We custom make them to almost any size you need for your space!
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:23AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
What color of drum should I pick? Beige? Black?? Or something else?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:40AM
ceceliarose
I love the table and chairs- where are they from?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:19AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Wickemans furniture
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:30AM
mjmil
You have a great start. Follow Carolyn's suggestions she always has great ideas and is generous with her knowledge and creativity. I think i would do the beige tuxedo chandelier.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:26PM
judianna20
I like your rug and I like the color of the mirror with it. Carolyn's suggestion to move it vertically between the windows will make your room look deeper.

Because of the color of the field in your rug, I suggest more of soft gold accessories, including the metal on your new chandy which will be reflected in the mirror.
It looks as if you have a leaf in the table. if you are not seating 8 on a regular basis, I would remove it and two chairs, until needed.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Thanks for posting the additional pictures. You've done a lovely job with your home.

The colors in my screen are totally off or my eyes are going. I thought your table and chairs were black at first but the additional pictures show they are brown. Is that right - they are brown? What are the colors in the rug?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:24PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Yes, they are brown, and the rug colors are gray and creme. Sorry to confuse you :)
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
A famous designer once said that every room needs some black in it, so I would stick with a black drum shade. But the metal on the fixture can be gold to go with your mirror or you can change the color of the mirror to match the fixture.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:19PM
PRO
ArtHaus Gallery
So many options....
Here are just a few.
Michal Venera, Ferris Wheel, 36"x36", sepia photograph
Carolyn Meyer, Pacific Heights, 40"x40", oil on panel
Marc Lambrechts, Nowhere To Go, 36"x36", oil on plaster on wood w/metal
www.arthaus-sf.com
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:49PM
sandra1942
I just looked at your pictures again. It looks like the window end of the table is too close to the wall. Can someone get in and out of that chair comfortably? Have you placed the furniture to accommodate the lighting? Someone asked if you had a removable section of the table in place, but didn't see your answer
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 4:25PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I do have a removable section on that table. The chair is close to the wall but still comfortable to go in and out. The good thing about these chairs, they are lightweight eventhough they might look heavy in the picture.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:40PM
sandra1942
We have a tendency to think because we have something we have to use it. Try taking out the extra table portion and a chair from each side. I think you'll like the openness. My previous table looked wonderful with six chairs, with eight it wasn't inviting. I kept the extra chairs in a closet. Unless you plan on eight people a lot, they don't need to be there. The room will have a freer feel. It's easy to try. If you don't like it that way put everything back. Give yourself a different perspective. If you're still wondering about your mirror hanging vertically, put it in the end chair to get a better look, though I think the drama would be terrific. I'm a devoted color person. You have such dark furniture I think black would be cold. A soft yellow on the walls is lovely with the dark furniture, or soft blue, or soft whatever, but color, not beige or grey. I really think you can move forward rather quickly. Art should be something you love and know you will love seeing every day. If cost is a problem, see if there is an artist coop in your area. There are many talented people who do beautiful work. Our library displays art for local artists and some are hard for me to pass up, but my walls are full and I can't give up even one. I have other ideas if you need more.
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:18PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
If I put the mirror between these two windows, how high or at what elevation should it be? Windows are 3.5" taller than the mirror. Help please:)??
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:32PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Either some art work or if you do go with a mirror I would keep it in line with the other mirror.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:38PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I will move the mirror that you see in this picture to the wall at end of the table and put art work where the mirror is now.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:17PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
That would work by turning it to fit the space and as you state it frees up that nice sized wall.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:28PM
PRO
Calzphotography
bright colors
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:35PM
bevballew
Center the mirror both ways between the windows.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:39PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I will hang iit vertically but my question is if the top of the mirror should be at the same level as the top of the shutter or lower....
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:43PM
Linda Anthony
As a notable designer once said, "Don’t hang a mirror between windows (distracts from the view).
I at first thought it was a board room... I didn't read all the suggestions, but I have a second one. Remove two of the chairs from the side and angle them in the corners, or one on each side of the mirror, or at the other end of your room - wherever there is enough room - less stuffy that way.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:58PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I like the idea of some crystal bling and the sheerness of organza over this table, as long as the shade is dark to balance it. The room needs some softness and sparkle!
9 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:00PM
cyn222
I'd add a raised rectangle stand to match the table. Bling it up with the crystal light. Something bigger or longer. Art or sculpture for the wall and accessorize from there. Good luck and have fun.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:02PM
bevballew
I thought one of the designers said to put the mirror between the windows? Didn't you? Did you lean the mirror against the wall? You can be the judge of that quote. Maybe so but I never heard that before.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:09PM
Dawn Nakaya_delk
How about a couple thick brown shelves? Maybe reclaimed wood. Add a few items on the shelves like trinkets/antique store treasures. I bought some really cool distressed reclaimed shelves that were pretty decorative.

I would add a really cool chandelier. They have some really neat chandeliers with smooth tear drop crystals. For the table I would add a couple glass domes with some succulents with wood bases and a couple candle sticks with a similar wood color to bring some green and life into the room.

Maybe consider another rug. It seems a little dark in there. Maybe a chevron chocolate and white rug from pottery barn. Similar look but a little bit cheerier.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:35PM
Stacy Lane
Maybe I'm the only one because I don't see any other suggestions like it, but the walls are what are speaking to me! What about a chair rail and boxes below it (the boxes could be the same color as the wall, or white) or board and batten trim?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:37PM
PRO
Anita Levine Interiors
Yes the walls. Chair rail decorative molding and art wok between windows.
Try sconces flanking the mirror as well.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:25PM
Linda Anthony
perhaps this would be useful - 101 Decorating Secrets from Top Interior Designers
http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/ideas/how-to-match-color#slide-53
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 5:47AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The Shutters look fab!! I agree with most you need a more modern chandelier.
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:27AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
with 6 chairs...
4 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:28AM
sandra1942
Normally I would say align the top of the mirror with the window. See how far down the mirror ends up. Make a template of the mirror with paper trash bags, easier to change. You don't want the mirror to be where people watch themselves eating. You can also hang the mirror to tilt a tinny bit forward which solves watching yourself. I still think 2chairs on the sides and one at each end would be better. You an do the tilt trick on the mirror where it is to resolve people looking at themselves. Try the tras bag template, use the blue tape, put it up and we'll all have a look. As soon as you get comfortable with the balance you can go on to the fun stuff.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:16AM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
I am in dilemma for the chandelier drum color. The table and chairs are dark brown. The rug: gray, creme and black. Should I go with black or lighter color?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Omela, do you see the suggestion I made for a light? I like this one for the sheerness, the sparkle and that it also has the necessary depth of colour to balance all the visual weight of the table and chairs. I also think you need a piece of art between the two windows that opens the room by adding depth, such as a pathway or gate, anything that leads the eye into it. I am making a suggestion for you to get the idea, art is so personal you have to please yourselves.

The room needs some sparkle, some fabric and some depth, here you go...
5 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 2:31PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Oh thank you Susan Mills Design. I will move the mirror to the other wall and put some art work where the mirror is now. I like your suggestions:)
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 2:44PM
sandra1942
I think chair rails aren't right for the contemporary furniture
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi again everyone!

Ornela - take a look at this thread - the dining room layout is almost the same as yours -- http://www.houzz.com/discussions/351089/Chandelier-suggestions

I didn't really think of this before - not sure why since it is also one of my favorites - but what about the Alita Drum Pendant:

Living room
Transitional Basement
www.essentialsinside.com: alita champagne pendant

You can see the gold better in this picture featuring the alita mini pendants:
Knot On Call

There is also a black version:
www.essentialsinside.com: alita black pendant light

Hope everyone has a great night!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:03PM
Dawn Nakaya_delk
I took a picture of my chair rails and it definitely gives charm to my room and I have a lot of dark wood furniture and similar colors in my house. Just so you have an idea of what it would look like. I would take out the leaf on the table and remove some of the chairs. I think a nice small buffet under the window with a circular mirror would look great or maybe a unique clock. I hate canned art. But, that's just my opinion. I buy vintage posters and buy prints from local artists. Etsy is a great resource for art. I had a custom mirror made for $200 and she re-created a mirror from Anthropologie I couldn't afford.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:19PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Is this way better?
7 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:25PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Need some nice art work now for the other wall.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Yes, this is better! Once you add artwork will look very nice!
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:38PM
bevballew
That looks great! Look forward to the artwork! Very very nice!
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:02PM
Linda Anthony
Love that you've removed two of the chairs - better fit in that area. Again, designers claim no mirror between windows; secondly, between the size/height of the windows. with the mirror, your room is now 'heavy' on one end - what do you have to balance it out? Balance is very important in every room - think of your rooms as a row boat - all about the balance.

I see you only have two walls to work with AND the half wall contributes to the unbalanced, oblong look. Put some VERY shapely artwork on that wall (not necessarily another 'square pic') and the mirror back on the other wall, hung vertical, just like you have it now between the windows. Then put a couple pictures or items embellished like the mirror, on each side - something 'roundish' or odd shaped or unique artsy-type hanging. What the problem with the mirror is, in your original pic, is that the mirror is hung 'oblong' JUST like your table, thus it adds no interest and makes the room look long and boring.

If it's hung as I noted above, it will help balance out the two very tall windows at the end of the room AND your room will appear bigger!

So, balance is important AND as it stands now, all the edges are 'square' there is nothing of interest in the room to round it out. You need some soft/rounded edges and I see none!

They often used mirrors in the dining room (in the olden days) because of limited windows and lighting. With those windows, I wouldn't hesitate to move the mirror out of the room altogether, or get a smaller mirror with a 'star-burst' surrounding it (like in Keitha pic) - that would help 'round out' some of those hard corners (from the table, the windows,the carpet the half wall, the mirror)

The top of the half wall needs something 'large' or some type of divider which would create more interest on that side of the room.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:13PM
curacaoblue
I think the room was much more balanced with the mirror on the other wall. It's too large to be on the wall with the wi does. Even if you get artwork for the other wall it's just too much.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:19PM
hockey456
Pick you light fixture first, then the centerpiece. I like this one for the contrast it would bring to the dark table and chairs.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:25PM
Linda Anthony
What did you do with the other two dining room chairs? Put two on each side, and one on each end (again it's about the balance) and then put the other two in the corners by the windows, which will soften those windows AND the corners! I think, until you do something to soften those edges, it will continue to look like a Board Room...
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 9:27PM
mainstreetschool
You have gotten a lot of info here. Table looks like it fits better with less chairs and extensions removed. Please pull the rug away from the window wall! Tuxedo light in cream or soft blue. Paint the window wall soft blue, as suggested to bring that wall into the room. Brown and blue are great together. You can find art in this combo at all price levels. I like the mirror between the windows.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:34PM
bevballew
Like the centerpiece!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:36PM
hockey456
Like the mirror move.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:38PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Metal Rim White Chandelier://www.houzz.com/photos/2967363/Venice-Beach-Pier--Los-Angeles--California--USA-Photographic-Print-by-Richard-Cu--Venice Beach Pier, Los Angeles, California, USA Photographic Print by Richard Cu://www.houzz.com/photos/1804223/Starburst-Mirror-in-Mirrors---Crate-and-Barrel--Starburst Mirror in Mirrors | Crate and Barrel://www.houzz.com/photos/2967460/Ideas-please------------Houzz--Ideas please.....!!!! - Houzz 1://www.houzz.com/photos/2967467/Ideas-please------------Houzz--Ideas please.....!!!! - Houzz 2 You can begin with a coffee can and twigs for a table top accessory. Centerpieces & Tablescapes
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:00PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Omela you asked for advice on centrepiece and chandelier, and have received so much more than that. I do hope you are not getting overwhelmed with all this advice. As long as your table is centred to the chandelier, and the rug centred to the table, you will be doing the best you can with this room. I would not advise on drapes as the windows are too dissimilar and the drapes would be too much for the corner areas. You have blinds, they work fine! I think the mirror is fine there too, once a large piece of art is placed on the wall where the mirror hung previously. A sheer shade over sparkly light and the depth created by the right piece of art and all is well.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 11:05PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
What do you call soft blue? Can you please post something similar?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:10PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Omela, Karen Paul here...I posted a few photos above. I like the idea of pulling up the orange from your living room for your art in the dining room. I posted a chandelier with a light shade in the same configuration as has been suggested and felt the lighter feel works well with the brown and darker pieces. I posted a starburst piece for some light reflective quality that is in a shape that runs counter to all your straight ahead angles in the room. The centerpiece I posted is something you can contemplate. I thought it is a clever idea to mount sticks around a coffee can, using it as a vase. I always enjoy the organic aspect to a room wherever and whenever it's possible.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:31PM
PRO
Anita Levine Interiors
I think I'd start with a painting. Abstract with reds and a centerpiece. New lighting andcI think that should do it.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:12AM
PRO
nancy22032
You might look at Palladian Blue from Benjamin Moore or their Morning Glory or Heavenly Peace or Spring Rain. All soft blue colors. You were right with the mirror in the first place - it is way to large for the end wall. That gauzy sparkly light from Susan Mills would soften and brighten. A table runner would also soften the "Board Room" look and say "Dining Room" instead.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 5:57AM
Linda Anthony
Love the light from CMR Interiors however, in that room, would it fade away? Like others better posted above. LOVE the 'star-burst' mirrors shown as well..
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:35AM
bevballew
I have a starburst mirror similar to that above my bed. It is so stunning and when you walk in the room it just says class,class, class. Maybe replace the mirror now with a starburst? Or the starburst in your family room?
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:41AM
Linda Anthony
Certainly, all the basics of a great DR are there - it's the finishing touches which will say 'class' and am sure it is why you wrote for advice. Finishing touches need to soften and balance the room.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:49AM
sandra1942
Terrific! The mirror looks great (no starburst), the chair arrangement not only adds balance, it makes the table more inviting. Now have some fun finding art work you love. There are so many chandelier options. Me, it would be a sparkling chandelier. Drums look great other places, but crystal reflected by that mirror is my favorite. I like drums in the entry, in lieu of can lights in dull halls. There are some very contemporary crystal pieces, it's just a matter of budget. Benjamin Moore has nice soft blues. Someone said leave the extra chairs in the DR, no, no, no, that just jams the room up again. You're getting there! Looking at art work is fun, find one you both love. I'll take a look at soft blues and get back to you.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 8:44AM
sandra1942
P.S. I just looked at Carolyn's "Bling" chandelier. I do love that, though I shudder at what the cost will be.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 8:49AM
Genevieve
Looking at your rug I thought of something like this
http://www.allposters.ca/-sp/T-G-I-F-posters_i1638317_.htm
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:59AM
danduna2
I think a center price like the one in the pic I attached bellow will give some shine to your dining room and give it some neutral color.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:00AM
danduna2
I also think something like the room below will work very nice with your dining room and give it a nice and modern yet homely feel.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:04AM
sandra1942
The "bling" is $869. I was surprised how reasonable the price was. It may come in gold finish, if you think it necessary. Some here think it is, I don't.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:33AM
sandra1942
On a different thread, What color(s) go with brown, Mary Poulos has a photo of a lovely blue room, take a look.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:50AM
erdmajar000
I am not sure if this specific example will work but something along this line for the design maybe with some browns but this a possibility for wall art.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
erdmajar000
Also if you look closer to the picture above it is textured adding a nice touch and sorta "dimension" to the room. :)
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
Just back from trip to Florida, catching up on all the suggestions here. Ornela, I love the mirror between the windows. It looks fabulous. Thank you for moving it! With a chandelier hanging in the center of the table, I like to have either a long centerpiece, or two items, separated from each other on either side of the chandelier. That way they are not in competition with chandelier.

An easy centerpiece is the repeating items centerpiece, and the items can be pumpkins, or single flowers in bud vases or candles or whatever you can dream, from artichokes to balls of yarn.

If you want to do the two items I mentioned, then Z Gallerie has lots of things you could use, as does Home Goods. Two of the modern turquoise ginger jars such as the oneshown below would work well. They are big ones, about two feet high. Don't be afraid of getting something big. You can remove the items at dinner parties if they are two big to see around. rentfluff.com Aquamarine Filigree Urn
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:54PM
sandra1942
You really need lots of color on the blank wall. Be sure you love it.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 4:27PM
shortped
I was reading all the posts and thinking runner with long centerpiece, and the last comment was right on!! I also like the idea of a long box with colorful floral straight sprigs...pull the color from whatever artwork you choose....I also like the chandeliers that have a lot of larger glass orbs hanging down...everything u have chosen so far is rectangular and u need variation...you are doing great!
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:47PM
shortped
You could also use multiple candleholders of varying heights along the length of the table as a centerpiece.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 4:51PM
shortped
I would also add an awesome clock
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:02PM
faithliv
You need a bigger chandelier, and it needs to be hung lower,get a painting with a lot of red in it and a red table runner.Get a big beautiful silk floral arrangement with red and white flowers for the middle of the table. You will be amazed at how
the red pops the room!
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:15PM
PRO
I think that a dining room is the place to savor good food and friendships and not think about the time, so a clock would not be on my shopping list. I also would prefer fresh flowers for parties, and something else for daily display.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:27PM
Ornela Gorreja-Hasa
Yea I would like something for daily display and I don't really like fake flowers.
I like the turquoise jar Caroline suggested. 2 of them might look nice.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:21PM
sandra1942
Ditto Carolyn on the clock. I like the photo of the plants Carolyn sent. The art should be next, then use colors from there for the table. Nothing says you can't have ginger jars for a while, then different, then back to jars. I have to move things around. I enjoy variety.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:39AM
PRO
Variety is great, and rotating accessories is wonderful if you're blessed with too many. My trip to Florida this week was to visit friends who have a lovely home there. We had fun moving accessories around, putting some into storage for later use, and generally getting my friend into the world of "less is more". She and her wonderful husband like to travel and that sometimes includes the acquisition of a beautiful item or two along the way.

It's great to have a set of shelves in the garage or basement, where you can store some of the things that the new items will replace. Then every few months you can change things around.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:10AM