Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen granite choice!
lterranova1
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My cabinets are white and the island cabinets are in the picture below. Will this beautiful granite look lovely in my kitchen? It's so hard to decide.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eurocerob
The granite looks amazing :) .
If you have to consider only the cabinets ( changing the color of the island with something brownish or goldish ) , no question -- green light -- .
What is the color of the floor for the kitchen ?
February 18, 2013 at 10:32AM     
lterranova1
Thank you for your response! The floor is natural white oak and the cabinet is espresso. Although it sure doesnt look that dark in the photo. i can't change the cabinet. I'm worried that this granite might not work and that I'm picking it because its just so beautiful, but not for my kitchen? I really appreciate thoughts!
February 18, 2013 at 10:44AM   
onthefence
Are the cabinets and island already installed in your kitchen? If so, I'd try to get a sample of the granite and test it out at home under YOUR lighting. The above photo seems to have been taken with a large number of very bright lights. This granite may well look entirely different in your acual kitchen.
February 18, 2013 at 10:55AM   
PRO
Eurocerob
Sometimes what we fall in love with is the right choice , IMO . The granite doesn't only look gorgeous , it is very delicate and marbleish look and trust me , you will have very hard time finding something similar .

I would say 95% YES and 5% ( may have Antique Brown in it ) no. :)
February 18, 2013 at 11:00AM   
PRO
Chameleon Power
You could use this design tool http://arizonatile.chameleonpower.com and visualize granite and cabinet colors instantly.
February 18, 2013 at 11:12AM   
calikym
I'm not liking it. :( it looks like it has yellow cracks.
February 18, 2013 at 11:14AM     
ladydi105
Darker granite may be difficult to keep from smudges. We just did white cabinets with Santa Cecelia granite and brown subway tile on the backsplash. Looks amazing.
February 18, 2013 at 11:34AM   
PRO
Rebecca Ryan Design
Asking people if they like your granite choice is like asking if they like a specific baby name. Everyone will have an opinion. I understand that this is a big expense and that you don't want to make a "mistake." But you have answered your own question -You clearly love this stone - so get it. It will fill you with joy every time you enter you kitchen. As for "going with your cabinets" white goes with everything, your dark stained wood is just brown (like everything in nature), and the stone is a totally different color from nature. Everything will work together beautifully. Use your paint color in the room to link all the elements together. There are literally thousands of variations of paint colors that you can tweek just a bit to make work with this stone and in whatever lighting you have in the space. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that your cabinets are viewed as vertical surfaces, while the granite is viewed in a horizontal plane. Showing the two together on the same plane is great for the photo - but it's not how they will actually be viewed once installed.
February 18, 2013 at 11:46AM     
kargus
sorry, but it is way tooo much, think about looking at it every morning for years after. Run from it
February 18, 2013 at 11:51AM     
michigammemom
The strong veining and almost acid green color in the stone seem like they would be more at home in a highly contemporary kitchen. I am not fond of the combination with your dark brown and traditional raised panel cabinetry.
February 18, 2013 at 11:55AM     
PRO
Rebecca Ryan Design
It appears to be Rainforest Green Marble. This stone also comes in a brown version. The color and quantity of the veining varies from batch to batch - as does ALL natural stone - even under the same color name. I have had many clients fall in love with this stone, using it as a single large island top, then using a more solid color countertop on the perimeter. If you don't like pattern and movement- this stone is clearly not for you Kargus. But the the owner who submitted the picture and question refers to it as "beautiful" and "lovely", so she must surely embrace these features. It's a matter of personal preference. (like so much in the design world)
February 18, 2013 at 11:58AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
You can't please everyone and this forum is just a small sampling of opinions. You need to decide for yourself. It's similar to product reviews. Some will hate the product and some will love it. But you have to live with your choices for certain amount of time, depending on how much extra money you have.
February 18, 2013 at 12:05PM   
kargus
thank you Rebecca, but I already knew that. I don't know the posters age or how long you intend to stay in your home. My suggestion to you would be to add color and pattern in different areas where they can be changed out, easier, faster and cheaper if you want a change, like I always do. Not all designers think long term and your cost.
February 18, 2013 at 12:17PM   
bdennison
I love your granite and agree with Rebecca that it would be great on an island with solid colors on the counters. Go for it :-)
February 18, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Rita Henry
one caveat....the slabs look gorgeous until they are cut up into 2 foot deep sections...loses the grandeur
February 18, 2013 at 12:44PM