Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with floors and layout decor
ashleyrmain1
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We want to replace carpet with hardwood. Was told we would have to replace what is in dining room too, since they couldn't exact match it. Questions is, do I stick with the same color/stain as we currently have or try something different. Those exposed kitchen cabinets throw me off.
Question 2: how can I decorate to make this look better? We will probably get leather couch/sofa in near future. But everything looks so blah now. Not sure how to decorate open floor plan.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
See if rustoleumtransformations.com can help with changing the cabinets so that they will work with the flooring you fall in love with. That's the only to make sure you have what you want. You obviously prefer cherry and dark wood. If you get new leather or other furniture, stick with light so you can go dark and rich with floors.
February 18, 2013 at 11:57AM     
ashleyrmain1
I'd live to paint the cabinets, but my husband would kill me right now. We both despise the nasty carpet, so that's first big expense we can have right now.
I just want it to overall look nice and put together.
February 18, 2013 at 12:46PM   
decoenthusiaste
People are very happy with the ease of the rustoleum product for cabinets and it is an easy DIY.
February 18, 2013 at 1:33PM     
ashleyrmain1
Thanks I will have to look into it.
February 18, 2013 at 1:52PM   
sandra1942
You have very dark furniture. What type of hardwood are you considering? Any flooring other than carpet should be continued through eating/kitchen. Do you not like carpet or just that carpet? Carpeting would give you a chance to add color; get rid of the blahs. And I mean color, not beiges or browns. Not Berber; there are some wonderful carpets with tweed-type look. Just replacing carpet and adding some colorful accessories would make a big difference with less expense. Get some color on the counter and pillows on sofas. I have sage green carpeting. People ask "you have green carpeting" and then they see it and love it.
February 18, 2013 at 2:33PM   
ashleyrmain1
My husband really wants wood floors, not carpet. But I agree, I need to add some color somewhere.
February 18, 2013 at 4:10PM   
PRO
A Vintage Affair
I go with a medium oak, floor that are dark show more dirt/dust. To add your pop of color get a rug for the den area. Pull a color from the rug and use for pillows on sofa, curtains and accessories. I'd paint the trim around the TV the same all white and choose a warmer color for the walls.
February 18, 2013 at 4:38PM     
sandra1942
Sometimes husbands need to be shown a path. They all want white walls and brown furniture; is he the one opting for leather? Does your husband agree with the expense of hardwood through eating/kitchen area? Otherwise, it will look weird. I like the medium oak idea. Then painting wood in kitchen would be a must. You are looking at a great deal of money. Take your time and view all three areas as one total project. And both of you need to be happy with it. That is really the most important part.
February 18, 2013 at 4:51PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
What's the flooring in the kitchen? You might have to bite the bullet and replace all the flooring to match. I'd do that first then see what needs to be done once you replace your sofa (s). Chrysteen
February 18, 2013 at 4:59PM   
Christine Curry
I agree with painting your cabinets. I'd do a creamy white, like your pantry? door. I would then replace the ceiling fan/light combo in the living area with only a ceiling fan. It looks as though you have enough peripheral can lighting for the space. The combo kit looks more dining room that livingroom.

A larger vertical image or design would look better on the small wall between the two rooms. It looks like you have an 11x14 picture there now?
February 18, 2013 at 5:04PM   
ashleyrmain1
There is beige tile in the kitchen and eating area. I really wasn't considering relaxing the floor in the eating area/ kitchen. Is there a way to do wood floors in the living area and keep the tile and still look good?
I do need to find a rug for the living room.
February 18, 2013 at 5:10PM   
sandra1942
I would at least do the eating area.. Different in the kitchen is fairly common. Ask your floor man if you could add the kitchen later. You'll probably want to.
February 18, 2013 at 5:13PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I'd definitely think about replacing your kitchen floor too. That way everything matches, and it won't look like you've patched it up. Then you can select a wood color that goes with your cabinets.
February 18, 2013 at 5:14PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Some thoughts....
February 18, 2013 at 11:24PM     
Donna Van_Atta
I would do just the living room if its a budget issue.My house was open and it had different floors and looked nice.I would find a wood with a medium color to light like your cabinets but have dark in it like the knots and such because you don't want dark furniture on dark floors,it will close it in. plus your cabinets will match and your dark wood too.I would warm up the walls with a golden color. Paint you kitchen separate,like a celery or Burt orange in a soft tone though.get a rug to match paint colors to tie it in and throw pillows too.
February 19, 2013 at 1:24AM     
Donna Van_Atta
Do a brown - gold with a green tone in dinning area that has the big table.put a Burt orange flower Arang. On table.
February 19, 2013 at 1:31AM     
sandra1942
I think the pictures above give you a great perspective. The flow of one type flooring and the look of different floorings meeting up. Of the four, which one apples to you?
February 19, 2013 at 8:40AM   
ashleyrmain1
I actually went to the flooring store yesterday and picked this one. It is light, but still has some darker tones. I think I need to get a few more samples to make sure.
February 19, 2013 at 8:52AM   
sandra1942
That looks good. Is it good with the dining area? The dark shots really add character. I hope you do the entire floor. It will flow beautifully and feel more spacious. The cabinets can wait. Take your time to be sure of every decision. Sometimes we go too fast and end up with what we never intended.
February 19, 2013 at 8:58AM