powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on new furniture/ arrangement of family room. I suck at decorating.
Kylie Thompson
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my family room, it's rather long and connected to our kitchen. We are looking for new furniture for this room as well as some decorations. Any advice would've welcome I suck at decorating and arranging. Even color advice for furniture we were thinking maybe a sectional? Has to be kid friendly.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Kylie Thompson
The couch that is in here is 105 inches long so something even a bit longer could fit on that wall.
February 18, 2013 at 12:16pm   
janishill
You will have more flexibility if you purchase a sofa and two chairs.

You might be given advice by 50 Houzzers with all of it different, so the best place to begin is by finding out what you prefer. These little quizzes only take less than 20 minutes and you will end up with a room that YOU are comfortable with - not some stranger you have never met! And you will probably save lots of $$$ in the long run.

Try this one: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/decorating-style/quiz/?ordersrc=google1decoratingstyle_app&s_kwcid=TC|5599|your%20decorating%20style||S|b|21476696098&ef_id=UKQl6AAASjMa@GNg:20130218204153:s

And this one: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/decorating-style-quiz-00000000030420/index.html

Then this one: http://just-for-mom.quiz.kaboose.com/42-what-s-your-decorating-style

Let us know what style you prefer so we can give you some great suggestions!
February 18, 2013 at 12:53pm     
libradesigneye
KT - I highly recommend washable slipcover sofas and sectionals at this stage of your family life. Can't recommend sofa loveseat combos - they are not as flexible longterm as sofa and pair of chairs. Here, a sectional will grow with your family well - with a long sofa and a shorter L.

Lining up couches on each side wall just makes the room feel longer and narrower - I like a sectional with its long leg / back on the left wall / under the bulkhead and a sofa / console / dining sideboard table behind the leg that will face the television (backed up at this end of the carpeted space). Ethan Allan, Pottery Barn and even IKEA have some classic styles that hold your transitional aesthetic. Pottery barn has a nice dark sage green color choice, fyi, and a darker tone will help you through the kid years well.

Then on the right wall you can add another upholstered chair to the leather one you have now - ideally in a print that draws from your color palette - repeats it (something that pulls all the tones together in one - see http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=20&productID=7429&pStart=0&recNum=11 for inspiration). You can use end tables you have between chairs and at far end of long sectional leg. To the sideboard, you can add lamps (which again will visually break up the length of the room) and you would have storage (now toys in baskets, later table linens and special occasion dishes). You will need more storage very soon, and more function too.

Your neutrals are nice, but everything hung on the walls is too high. Top of big item over couch should not be higher than top of windows, basically, and bottom needs to be closer to top of sofa back. Two smaller photos and cross would be better grouped together on one side to left of tv.
Here, think of the tv as your center line and hang things off that axis on that wall. Your large piece of art is wonderful, so you want to pull some soft blue accents as color inspiration into print fabric pillows and accent chair - stick to solids for your new pieces.

With little ones, I recommend a big round upholstered ottoman - you can add a tray for the top when grown ups come over and want another place to put a drink. In the long run, you are going to want a bigger storage piece under your television to better balance that wall.

You might look into having your leather chair dyed - it is a very strong color, so you can add some yellow/gold tones to a pillow accent that will make it blend better or you might like it better toned down to saddle brown- shoe guys dye leather all the time so go find out if its cheaper than a new chair (usually YES).

Consider doing a gallery wall with all black frames and a template for the back/left wall. All cream / ecru toned mats - use your family photos, but print them all out in sepia tones and crop some of them really close in - babies face blown up is amazing. Your wall is big enough you will want to purchase at least two kits and maybe three to fill the space visually. They have these available many places commercially now. A monochromatic thing there would help your big art pop.

Look at Young House Love for ideas on gallery walls - formal and not so formal, and also for how to take a print fabric color inspiration and take it through the house to help it feel unified and yet, beautiful. Go over there and search "lovely napkin" / whole house paint colors. You have a beautiful family space here - and being careful in your selections doesn't mean you are bad at it - if you stick to the colors you've set up - olive /stone greens, aqua/spa blue and tan/sand tones, you will come out alright!

You can also get help at Ethan Allen if you purchase there. . .
February 18, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Kylie Thompson
I took the quiz and looks like I like traditional decorating . Thanks for the input. I will move around a cpl of my pics;) and hopefully make a gallery wall I love that idea
February 18, 2013 at 2:37pm     
janishill
The first thing to do is create a focal point for your room. Would it be possible ot move the TV to the wall between the windows?
February 18, 2013 at 8:11pm   
Kylie Thompson
We could move the tv? It would take a bit of convincing my hubby, he says no b/c then he wouldn't be able to see the tv from the kitchen. We need a fireplace umber the tv , but unfortunately that's not in the budget:/
February 18, 2013 at 9:00pm   
janishill
Just thought I would ask, but I figured that TV wasn't going anywhere. :-) That being the case make that wall your gallery wall. Use black frames (to match TV) with white mats (for graphic interest) and black and white photos.

My next question is what is your favorite color and what is hubby's favorite color?
February 19, 2013 at 3:59am     
Kylie Thompson
Favorite colors. I love yellow and grays. The hubby likes navy blue but as far as decorating beige everything .love the gallery wall pic on the rt.
February 19, 2013 at 1:02pm   
janishill
How about a navy, gray, and white color scheme with a few yellows accents?

The walls could be painted soft white, with gray furniture (it will hide dirt well) with a navy rug & navy printed drapery panels, bits of yellow as an accent.

Or soft gray walls with navy furniture, printed drapes, etc. and red accents. BM has a color called 'Winds Breath' that would look beautiful with your carpet: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/windsbreath#ce_s=wind
February 19, 2013 at 8:06pm     
decoenthusiaste
Here are some yellow, gray, beige traditional rooms for you both to love. Just use kid proof fabrics like leather, washable slipcovers and indoor/outdoor rugs to mimic a style you love.
Decor by Jennifer Inc
Marina Living Room
Parkwood Road Residence Living Room 2
Modern living
February 19, 2013 at 8:17pm   
Kylie Thompson
Love love the last pic @decoenthusiast. Wish I had an unlimited budget :)
February 20, 2013 at 8:41am   
decoenthusiaste
Start with a rug. homedecorators.com has indoor/outdoor ones at reasonable prices.
February 21, 2013 at 3:17pm   
katedurant
As a mom I share your concerns about decorating for a kid-friendly, budget minded wallet! You have the same rectangular livingroom as I do and it certainly isn't easy finding the right fit. You have some considerable wall space that could be your friend or your enemy. I see potential and agree with your husband that you should be able to see the tv from the kitchen. You probably will spend considerable time in that room as well as entertaining during the holidays. My only concern with sectionals is they tend to fill the center of the room and then everyone has to walk around them. If you were to put a sofa facing the tv and kept the sofa along the wall to the left, you could continue to have more seating space and get through the room easily enough. You could also put a few smaller chairs to the right wall and have a table in between them. Perhaps a couple of nice, moveable storage cabinets would be nice, especially if you need to store kid toys away when you have company. Perhaps along the tv wall or on the left side? Invest in a nice big mirror and that can also fill wall space nicely. The vent over the left side of the wall definitely brings the height of the wall down when compared to the right side of the room.
We chose a neutral, monochromatic scheme that had a solid sofa. That way I could switch out the pillows, slipcovers, and throws as the years go by. One thing that is cool, so many pillows have an array of patterns and colors that you can definitely spiff up your room with coordinating colors in a area rug, throws, and pillows. If you tend to decorate with the seasons, I found monochromatic isn't so pretty with Fall decorating as Christmas. While filling the room, I also checked out Craig's list used furniture section for cheaper pieces to stay within my 4,000$ budget. I was able to find a complete dining room set with buffet and split the set into two different rooms and it looked fantastic. I revamped some of my own furniture and found some local talent to create a painting for me. It took a whole summer to decorate and Houzz definitely gave me great inspiration- Love the photos everyone has attached.
March 2, 2014 at 6:23am