Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help for my living room
soft99
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, i live in a small rented appartment, which i just moved in, i need to decorate the place, im starting with my living room which is also a playroom for my twins...im really horrible to decoration, so i need all the help possible.. thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Start with a nice colorful rug that is at least as wide as the sofa. That will set a color palette for you and give the kids a soft place to play. Next pick a piece of art to go above the sofa and some simple drapery panels to frame the window(s) and hang them high and wide and to the floor. Start shopping for a round wood coffee table - no sharp corners for the kids. You need an end table and lamp too. If you run across a nice accent chair that would be great. That should get you started!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:37PM
soft99
thanks for the help, what if a put a dark brown rugm would that be ruin the look..
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:58AM
judianna20
Here is a photo for you that could help you integrate the brown rug with your white couch. Notice the lovely throw pillows that bring some of the brown up onto the couch.
Vancover Home
Decorative Designer Indoor / Outdoor, Suzani Pillow Cover By Loubella1
Smart Round Marble Top Coffee Table
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:02PM
soft99
thanks Judy.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:12PM
PRO
nFORMAL design
Here's some other options for you too. Maybe go with a low pile rug such as the ones I attached below for a more interesting look that will pop out and give the space some energy and character. Artwork, lighting and storage space are also good places to start. Be sure to replace the cacti in the one image with some gentler plants for child safety purposes...ha ha ha! Best of luck!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:35PM
michigammemom
I like the combination of orange, yellow and gray in this family friendly room with comfy glider chair and storage ottoman. Your space looks sparsely furnished, so consider an end table and reading lamp as well.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
JB House Photography
Have to agree with the idea of some sort of area rug. Perhaps some sort of a horizontal painting or photo print above the long side of the couch and some sort of colorful nature print above the play house. Just how old are the twins? The play house makes me think around four years old but then you also have that crib in the corner.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:05PM
soft99
im getting rid of the playpen and the playhouse very soon.. would it be weird to put a small desk where the playhouse is, i need a small space for my computer, what color should the desk be.. any ideas.. thanks
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:35PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
There are so many things you could do but what is your budget?
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:54PM
clementinedesign
Use an area rug to define the adult living space!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:36PM
soft99
still need help with living room décor.. as seen on pictures, I removed the playhouse and playpen, so that area is empty now, I was thinking of adding white desk for my computer or maybe a book cabinet with some wall décor.. would that be a bad idea... I added a brown rug, the pictures are a little blurry, i'll try to add a better picture later... need help with this please.. thank you
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 7:44PM
colonialgp
Are you looking for different ideas than the ones suggested?

You definitely need some color. If you go with a desk, buy one in a thrift store and paint it a bright color - orange, blue, green, yellow, etc.. The use of art on the walls,lighting for reading, and colorful pillows suggested above are all good ideas.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:08PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Move sofa dn towards crib. Put floor lamp next to sofa. Add end table to end by window add tall brush nickel with a black shade. Get black shade for floor lamp same size. Are you on tight budget? Check TJMax nice lamps tables, rugs & art great price.
Ikea also has some great things. They have 5 x7 area rugs for 19.99. Get one in grays white and yellow or red. You need some color. On floor in front of sofa. Art over sofa big could go a black and white city scrape of New York. Think I saw it at Ikea. You Need tall 4 ft get two tall ones hang side by side 5" from top of sofa. I would put 2 sq or round ottomans in zebra print. If don't like that, go a color like yellow or red. In front of sectional.which by the way is very nice. Are you keeping all the toys and crib in living rm? If not have some other ideas.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:23PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Add panels on each end of window. Go gray and black design. Black rod. Pleated blinds good. Just need something to finish window look.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:25PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
The sofa looks gray is it? Also no brown very ugly color sorry.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:26PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Just saw you are getting rid of toys. Great. You could put a large glass and wood criss cross legs. It's at Pier one. It's approx 6 ft long which is fine don't go small. Get nice contemporary chair in a color. Ck Ikea for both. Center on wall but don't sit with back to room. Put back to wall move out from wall 24" get one with glass top so can use anyway. Nice art piece behind chair. Hang low. TJMax or Ikea. You can find this. If desk had chrome legs even better. Add big silk palm where crib was. Take pic of rm shot from sofa. Remember color on floor design.
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 8:34PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
That rug does not work. Color!
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 8:35PM
soft99
The sofa is cream color.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:39PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Place large desk on wall I said you may not be able to center that's ok. You could get tall 7 ft black bookcase look but are squares instead of shelves. Place behind desk chair center with desk. Fill with colorful pots candles. A few books. Every square does not need something keep it clean and simple. Can you paint?
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 8:41PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Cream ok. Area rug can still have red, black and cream in it. Change panels to black with a cream trellis design. Keep furn black.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:43PM
soft99
Yes we are planning on painting next month...
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 8:43PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
A latte would be nice.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 9:16PM
soft99
since the picture I added before were blurry, here are better pics.. thanks for the info travisinteriors..
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 5:13AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
To me this space is fun and inviting.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 5:27AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I think you could use that rug if you add the colorful pillows and curtains. These pillows are inexpensive and the curtains only look like silk. Peacock Jacquard Venetian Pillow Teal Honeycomb Lamp Marquee Shimmering Faux Silk Pinch Pleat Drape
2 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 6:08AM
soft99
hi, wall paper is nice, but i'm renting the apartment, so I can't add wallpaper... thanks
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 6:40AM
soft99
would it look bad if I add this white desk where the playpen is ( I removed the playpen and playhouse) that area is empty now. I would also add this white floor lamp near window. thanks
1 Like   May 28, 2013 at 7:09PM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I don't think white would add much to the room.The desk is very nice though. Does it come in other finishes?
1 Like   May 29, 2013 at 3:46AM
soft99
the desk comes in black and chocolate.
1 Like   May 30, 2013 at 9:58AM
PRO
Terracegallery
So neutral and begging for a nice piece of art! If you want to keep a lighter feel you can go with yellows/aquas/blues...or you can enrich it with darker shades to include some reds. Your sofa is so modern....a smack of blue would work nicely too!
2 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
A Crew of Two
What about a cool wall decal? I love the white lamp and the desk, just think one of them should have color to it.
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 2:06PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Jadeite, love the wall paper. Do you have web site?
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 2:09PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Run rug other way. Don't put under furn. Should have border. Add panels to your windows in the dark gray and cream. Floor lamp on one end and end table on other with very tall lamp in color. Add pillows pick a accent color. Add the desk angled into room so your chair is facing the sofa. Love the tree wall paper above. For wall behind sofa. Center sofa more on wall why is it pushed to window? Use your whole rm. hope toys are gone.
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 2:15PM
soft99
travisinteriors, the toys are still there, my kids still play with them, they are 19 months old.. My sofa is near the wall cause the playpen was on the other end, needed the space for that. but don't worry i'll center it more on the wall. thanks for info everybody, much appreciated ... I hope i'll do a good job decorating the living room.
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Need paint color help
I have purchased an apartment in Greenwich Village...
Want to breath life into my living room!!
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow...
Kitchen Backsplash
Kitchen Remodel- Dark red Mahagony Cabinets, light...
The Kitchen is the New Living Room
Over the course of the past 20 years or so, kitchens...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.