Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Light or Dark?
busu
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What colors would you do this library? paint or stain? all shelves or paneling and shelves? there will be a spiral staircase centered on window
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What is the size of the space? Is the house all new construction or is this an update? Is it open to anything? What all will you & who else do in this space..book storage, reading, TV, computer? Is this room connected to any other rooms? What is the decor in the house to be? Need info.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:09PM
michigammemom
A majority of design dilemmas are from homeowners/buyers who wish to lighten up their interiors by painting stained woodwork. Instead of paneling, you might consider classic, painted wainscoting combined with built-ins for book and media storage.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:38PM
busu
Thanks so much for your input. The space is 16'x16'. The spiral is to be 6' with bottom exit/entry on left. The project is a two story addition. This room is part of a connector between old house to new first floor master and basement entertainment area. The pictures are taken from a wide hallway. Existing house is traditional. I'm thinking of refinishing natural red oak to walnut stain. I appreciate that point on regretting dark stain. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:03PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree with "michigammemom" but want to add that I would choose the trim color that matches the rest of the house. I think it is a great idea to do this project. We would like to see the finished product.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:26AM
busu
Thank you. I love those old English looking libraries but felt deep down it wasn't practical or airy in real life. Drywall today. Ill send pics as we go.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:49AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Consider faux beams across the ceiling, painted trim color. It would give you a little of the look you want.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:51AM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is a more contemporary example.

0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:14AM
busu
Thank you for that contemporary pic. I initially glossed over that bc railing was so modern. I hadn't noticed that big print. That's a good idea bc another one of our issues is we have come to realize that with kindles and online streaming, we don't have that many books or DVDs as we used to.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
bathroom wall mirror size
5ftx5ft space with 60 vanity ,, what would b smallest...
Tile backsplash for kitchen - stainless steel?
We are currently renovating our kitchen. We have oak...
BEDROOM IDEAS
I need help with my room I have the bedspread and everything...
What to place??
Hello fellow Houzz-ians, So my family and I have been...
Kitchen Backsplash - what color and material?
I'm almost finished with a total kitchen remodel and...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.