powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Does this stone arch look good? Or does it need something?
jdkrebs
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a stone archway between kitchen and living room. We were copying a house we found with similar floorplan. Our walls will be painted gray and we'll have wood beams across ceiling- no brick.
However, we used limestone where the original house had brick and it has created a slightly different look. Not sure this looks "finished". I can't tell and we are already behind on schedule.
We are also on the fence if we like... help! I included our wall and fireplace across from it... Then pic of floorplan we are copying- same builder.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janishill
It looks unfinished. Perhaps if it were capped with a beam similar to that you will be using on the ceiling...or if the entire wall is done in the same stone.
31 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:44PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I really like it, better than the builders. Actually janishill's idea of the wood beam capping the top will look really nice, Also, I was going to suggest a concrete bullnose cap with a little ogee detail (your contractor will understand), in concrete tinted to match the stone, may work as well.
14 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:54PM
jdkrebs
So would you just do a thick wood beam across top of arch? Or all the way across wall?
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:01PM
jdkrebs
So you would do the whole wall? Won't that make that wall to heavy? Huge wall of stone-- I don't even know if wall could support that. Anything else we could do other than tearing it out? We love the rock inside. Just didn't know the final look. What if we put a ledge of small stones along the top- like the smaller stones under the arch? Just to outline it?
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:08PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I would have added a limestone cap to the top to keep the color all the same, but the problem is it won't be able to fit into the left corner. I think that once the ceiling beams are in and the wall painted it will look finished without adding a cap. The wall is already unbalanced and a wood beam to cap it would only emphasis it even more. I think the solution to balancing the wall will be determined by what is on the wall to the right of the opening. I'd like to see more of the wall to the right side to see if some art work or other option will help balance the wall.
14 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:08PM
jdkrebs
I will go back over to see if I can get better pic of entire wall. We were thinking of putting wall mounted fountain- a cool modern one on wall.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Hi, nice room.
But the masonry arch was not necessary to having a nice room in here.

And with the ceiling beams you DON'T need a beam over the masonry too. That would look eye browish and detract from the arch. You don't want to harden the line there anyway.

The ceiling is the star and the fireplace. And hopefully beautiful furniture, case goods, rugs, window treatments, later to come. Dont forget how expensive furnishings are. They add up. Especially in larger homes.
8 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:15PM
PRO
Yes, don't do the whole wall. I first only saw the first pic and not the finished one. I agree. The house would probably not be able to handle that heavy a load.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:17PM
aksnt11
I would paint the wall and get the ceiling beams up, then decide about doing anything more with the arch. It's tough looking at white on white, the gray on the wall will add dimension. Beautiful fireplace !
10 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 2:24PM
jdkrebs
We liked this feature in the builders last floor plan - so we really wanted to keep one arch- she had two entryways outlined in brick ( we used limestone obviously instead) and just did one. But until they were up, we didn't know we would question how they looked. I still like it- and think it will look better once everything else is done. But not sure....and the painter pulled us aside and said he thought it didn't look finished. Now my husband is very upset and questioning what to do.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 2:57PM
PRO
Does the brick get finished? It gets sealed and if this is the same stone at the fireplace that does to. There are sealants that deepen the color and those that do not and are matte. I like the brick lighter. Esp with contrasting brown beams or wood.
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:02PM
collettec
I think paint of a different color will really add the distinct definition. If you add a cap of any type it would continue to cut into the arch on the left. I would add the beams, paint and see how you like it before adding things that might not be needed.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:08PM
PRO
And then I would paint the walls a breezy color that matches the brick. Pick a color from it in my opinion and keep the room looking clean, unheavy and fresh. A creamy white would be gorgeous with beams. Don't listen to a painter. He is a painter -not an experienced designer who can see the entire scheme played out. But seal the brick for sure. Is it limestone?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:08PM
PRO
Bohnhoff Woodworking
The stone wall looks unfinished and will continue to look that way until you cap it. The brick wall looks more complete because of the solider course of brick give termination to the running bond pattern of brick. In other words it stops your eye and moves you toward the beams.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:25PM
Cindy Moore
I think it looks gorgeous and ties in beautifully with your fireplace. Great idea. I agree. Finish painting first and then decide. The paint may frame it enough that it looks finished.
6 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:39PM
jdkrebs
How do we cap it?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:46PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Don't listen to painters. I worked with one for years. I specified all paint colors and finishes. Then one day I came in and found him painting the blue dining room green. I asked him what he thought he was doing..a little elevated, as you can imagine....he asked me what I expected...he is color blind....
6 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:48PM
ann
It does look unfinished
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:48PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
About the arch...I always think things exist for a reason...or did. When I see a ruined archway in an old abbey in England, I think, wow,, that once supported something big. Even fake ruins here in the states, my imagination does that. But your arch is not doing a job..it is new and it needs a job. A beam or some projecting timbers or going all the way to the ceiling. As for support...you have to have foundation under that much stone no matter what. If it is out in the middle of the floor with no load path to dirt, it is going to move...inches. So more stone is probably not an issue. Continue the stone up to the ceiling or run a cornice or a beam or put a projecting course of the same stone (like the brick vertical, but pushed out an inch or two) or some timbers that project beyond the face a few inches....
7 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:56PM
jdkrebs
It's not just painters though--- our interior decorator doesn't like it either. She wasn't crazy about it from the beginning. We like the feature-- just didn't visualize exactly how it would turn out. I don't know how to "finish it". What can we do? People shot down the idea of a wood beam across top. We could do small rock trim along top?? What is solution to this very expensive problem... And is it even a problem?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:59PM
lilion
I think a good rule of thumb is, if you can't tell if something is finished, then it is. Sometimes less is more. Finish the rest of the decorating and then see if you think it needs something. But right now, it looks terrific!
6 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:00PM
jdkrebs
Ok- our messages crossed... So you think putting a row of stones that project out a bit along top would create a "cap" or finish this?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:01PM
PRO
BJL Aquascapes
I would continue the arch to the right and put a mural on the wall, then run a thick wood beam across the top. :)
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 4:03PM
PRO
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
I would suggest covering the entire wall in the stone if you can afford it. It would look so awesome! Very dramatic and a nice statement. Plus, it would look finished...!
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:05PM
Aja Mazin
It looks unfinished and off balance.

The left top stone/brick should be replaced.
6 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:20PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
To continue the stone across the wall would require removing some of the stones on the right side of the wall so that the stone can be layed in a staggered course.

What would look really great with the stone is to apply, to the un-masoned areas of that wall, a weathered gray planking.
9 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:23PM
Jayme H.
I think it will look better with paint on the walls, and some trim will do wonders...There is a definite "ledge" look espec. on top...I would get a pro finisher to trim it out all around the edges tapering it to the walls...paint the trim as similar to the rock tone as possible.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:45PM
mdamron61
The arch would have looked better done in "soldiers" not in a stretcher look. Also the last stretcher on the right is shorter in height than the ones on the left. A keystone in the middle of the arch would have looked nice. Other than that it looks nice
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:11PM
Jayme H.
Trimmed out like this
10 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:15PM
mdamron61
Exactly!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:17PM
Jayme H.
I am aware that this is different as your ceiling is higher...However..I still believe a good trim carpenter could trim it out well and it would look great.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:13PM
tomda
I think yours looks nicer than the inspiration pic. I think once the room is finished it will look really good.
12 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:27PM
Christal
I think when you get the room painted it will look totally different. What are you using on the floors? I agree with Jayme Hobbs about the trim. It will be beautiful.
4 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:51PM
jdkrebs
Dark hardwood floors. Thanks for the encouragement. I think it will be ok, too. Although wish there was some way to visually see the end product.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
I completely agree with tomda. I don't like that inspiration pic paint or brick.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:02PM
jdkrebs
What is the "inspirational pic" ? ... Not sure what that is.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:38AM
apennameandthata
Yeah, the inspiration pic looks more like a before pic. I would build the stone right up to the ceiling. That way it would match the fireplace. I agree with the person who said that an arch should at least look like it has some job to do. If the stone wall goes right to the ceiling, then the stone would look like it was functioning as a wall, and the arch would look like it was functioning as door way. Right now, the arch's only function is decorative. One problem with going right to the ceiling is that you would have to rip bits of stone out.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:55AM
Christal
Is your foundation reinforced to handle the extra weight of that much more stone? If not you will have other problems. I wanted to do my fireplace from floor to ceiling, my ceiling is probably 13' tall and my builder said it couldn't be done because the foundation would have to have been reinforced when the slab was poured.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 5:57AM
Jayme H.
This one appears to have a ledge or "cap"...
8 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:18AM
PRO
Yes that looks nice Jayme because its centered. And its off a soffet so it has a natural cut off line.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:48AM
Jayme H.
I would try other options before removing it
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:11AM
Jayme H.
Have you spoken to the installer yet about various capping options if u want to cap it with the same stone?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:01AM
jdkrebs
Not yet-- meeting with builder tomorrow morning. I will see what she suggests. She should have maybe foreseen this issue-- she is the expert. So little bit frustrated with builder. I do think once wall is painted and beams are up, that it will look better.... And I'm not sure we can add a lot more stone on that wall. How would it look if we painted a beam the white of the trim and put it all the way across? From above stone archway to the far right end of wall? That way, it creates a seam? It what if we rounded the archway on top?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:45AM
Jayme H.
IDK if runnning a beam across the whole wall would look right..Also wondering if extending stone all the way to the ceiling will throw it off balance on the wall...the other piece of wall will be bare, and not equal...What are you putting on the wall? I can't see the whole wall and how wide it is..hard to tell from the pic. Just was thinking adding a built in on that wall for balance.....but looks like your focal point will be your fireplace wall...I agree u should talk with your builder for ideas/suggesions. My husband is a finisher (carpentry) for a quality builder and I know magic can be done with trim...I agree this will likely look better once the walls are painted.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:12AM
Aja Mazin
Geeeez....
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:28AM
Jill Coert
I think you should take a deep breath and stay the course. Get the design done and see if you like it. You obviously loved the builder's designs enough to have a house built based on them. Sometimes in the midst of a build we get too focused on one particular thing and can't see the big picture. If something really needs to be done once you get the beams and the paint and the lighting and the furniture in, it can always be remodeled. I think the arch is gorgeous and I really like it better than the darker brick onw. What is your color scheme for the room? Just curious :)
7 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:36AM
PRO
No- You don't need a beam over the brick. But on the ceiling. Who needs a harsh line-an eyebrow where it doesn't need to be?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:45AM
PRO
Rustic Brick and Stone
I think that once painted, it will look more complete. Also, capping it will help define some use for the structure. However, what seems most incomplete to me (my opinion) is the actual build of the structure. I think it would have turned out better with either a keystone or if the stone used on the bottom side of the arch were turned vertical to accent where most of the strength of the arch would need to be. As it sits, it almost looks like the pieces of limestone could fall off the bottom of the arch (ouch). If installed properly, that won't happen, but I feel it changes the feel of the arch to be more decorative than functional. Aside from that, it looks absolutely fantastic. Please add some finished photos when the project is completed!

1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:56AM
trasgorshek
I believe Terri has a great suggestion with the weathered gray planking or even white tongue and groove the rest of the wall. Wood with stone balance each other and would look beautiful. You could mimic the effect with your beams. Instead of a dark stain on the beams do either the grey weathered look or the white to match the wall and tie everything together.
6 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:13PM
jdkrebs
I will update when project is done. Met with builder and she feels like doing much more will add more emphasis to it and it is a detail (not focus) of the room. She told us that the"brick" she added in the original floor plan she built was an after thought and she had the same concern when it was done.. like maybe it needed something else. She brought designers and another builder in and they all felt like it was good as is and turned out to be one of the features getting best comments in the house. We both agreed NOT TO stone the whole wall. The room is not that big and it would be too much of this big heavy stone. We don't want to add stone in a "ledge" at top because that would just create make the rock stick out even more and create more of a ledge. We both think once it is painted and the ceiling beams are in, it will be great. If after we do that, we want to add a wood trim piece over the top, we can. It woudl be similar to a trim piece above a window and would painted to tie in with the stone. My main thought now is that maybe we should have added the stone in the entryway aswell... which the plan originally called for.. that woudl have reduced the attention on this arch. However, when we were starting that arch, we changed our mind because both arches seemed way to heavy.
I included pics of where the arches were designed to go. Keep in mind, we moved our fireplace to be straight on the wall on left and opened up the back wall with all sliding glass doors.
4 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:11AM
Jayme H.
I had the feeling finishing the room, then possibly trim later would be helpful! Glad u got this thing going your way again! Good luck!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:15AM
Donna Van_Atta
I like it!
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:23PM
PRO
Steven Alvarez General Contractor
I am an architectural purist. It is not a real structural arch. You are trying to make a massive structural component a decorative item. Stone arches are not decorations. It does not make sense and looks like a prop from a movie set. I know this sounds like a waste of money but sometimes this happens. Dont keep a mistake just because you are already in too deep. If you want an arched opening then do one trimed in modest but appropriate sized molding that compliments the style of the house theme and is complimentry of the other moldings in the house.

Again sorry,but it the stone arch looks applied and fake. Keep it simple and use architectural items as they were intended. best! I am sure it will work out fine.

Steve
16 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:12AM
Aja Mazin
Agree w. Steven Alvarez General Contractor.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:17AM
PRO
Steven Alvarez General Contractor
Thanks Aja, Btw I thought that I am the only one silly enough to be awake at this late hour commenting. Even later for you.. or earlier I guess.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 1:31AM
rouxb
jdkrebs I think you are on the right track with first finishing the beams and painting then deciding. I wouldn't cap it with ANYTHING. The arch looks incomplete to me because the room itself is incomplete and unpainted. And, yes, two of those arches would be too much in that size.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:41AM
Aja Mazin
Steven Alvarez General Contractor,

I am glad a GC [who is qualified to address the problem] said it. It needed to be said.
No sense throwing good money after bad.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:54AM
mandek
You loved it in the first place, you even found a picture! I like the stone you picked better than the brick in the picture. Finish it and then see what it needs, the arch will go with so many things. You could do different things around the wall as well, love the mural idea, you could do some paneling even barn wood, beams to boot! Find a story, is it from an old castle, cottage or barn in England or in the US. I think wood and stone are natural together. Have fun dreaming and theming!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 3:35AM
Aja Mazin
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 4:11AM
jdkrebs
I appreciate all the comments very much and I know that if I wanted to be "design" correct, I would take out the arch and leave the fireplace without a mantle. Both would be aesthetically pleasing changes to make a perfectly designed house. HOwever, I like the stone arch. Didn't turn out exactly like I wanted and I wish it was fitted into the wall so it looked better... but I still like it i think. And I want a mantle on fireplace because I like it for the holidays. So at what point do you put personal preference over design? I'm not sure... and I'm not sure I'll like the looks of this when done... very tough. But I'm not at the point of tearing it down yet.
14 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:09AM
PRO
ID, please keep in mind if Michelangelo had put a picture of the Sistine Chapel along with his painting diagram into a discussion group, it never would have been painted probably not even built if we here got a hold of it soon enough. You will never have group consensus, just read all of the other discussions.

I think the arch brings grand character to the rooms that it opens through to. I work with contractors, like all designers, all of the time. They are, IMO, hardwired to look at construction according to the way they are taught construction should be, and tend to be purists. Which is very often an excellent quality, as they often fall into the position of constructing for someone who does not have a designer (penny wise and pound foolish, always have a designer- IMO) but they can not afford one or want to save money, and contractor's position is definitely fail safe. And, definitely will not cause harm to the subject project.

However, there is such a thing as artistic license. Designers take it all the time with great success. I will give you an example of a television program I am sure many of you have watched on HGTV called International House Hunter, I think that is the name. Anyway, you will see homes, all of the time that have old walls and parts of old walls, and interesting architectural features jutting out and it gives it a sense of charm and character. I have even seen interiors in some of the finest design magazines taking advantage of such charming elements

Your archway will bring that to your room, when, as others have said, it is finished. So, go back in time, regather your original thought, and complete your wonderful room and enjoy it. When your room is done, there will be so many other things to look at: drapes, furniture, pictures, flooring, lighting, and accessories, that every thing you worried about will go away. And, don't quiz everyone you know on do you like my arch? Because when you ask that question people will look for problems, as they start to mentally dissect it, that they never would have thought about before. i.e. my Michelangelo analogy.
13 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:31PM
Aja Mazin
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design.

I would think that a "professional interior designer" would have some small knowledge of the Sistine Chapel.

"The architects were: Pope Sixtus IV, Domenico Fontana, Baccio Pontelli, and Giovannino de Dolci.
Pope Julius II (also known as Giulio II and "Il papa terribile"), requested that Michelangelo paint the chapel ceiling.

Michelangelo was a sculptor. He referred to himself as such, and vastly preferred working with marble to almost anything else that life offered. Prior to the ceiling frescoes, the only painting he'd done was during his brief stint as a student in Ghirlandaio's workshop.

Julius, however, was adamant that Michelangelo - and no other - should paint the chapel ceiling. What Julius wanted, he usually got. "

Your analogy fails and so does your "logic". http://arthistory.about.com/od/famous_paintings/a/sischap_ceiling.htm
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:20PM
steph8058
If you bring an arch onto your fireplace, you will create visual harmony . You can do this by having your mason form an arch over your rectangular firebox opening in the same stone. I have done this on a project I am working on recently and the effect is beautiful.. By the way, congratulations for taking a risk. Normal is ordinary. Pushing for unique can become extraordinary.

Steph Foley
5 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:47PM
PRO
Aja, it is unfortunate that your comment was so mean spirited, totally non-constructive. I see you are a student of law, but you completely missed the point of my comment!

Actually, I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Interior Design and Honors in Art History, and neither I nor anyone here needed your cut and paste history of the Sistine Chapel as that was not the point being made.

This is a wonderful forum. People come here with dilemmas. And, I love anything, anyone has to say, if it is on point and not with the intention of just being personal. I learn a lot from the professionals and the non- professionals alike.

The contractor has a legitimate viewpoint, and it was HIS personal viewpoint. In my opinion, when it comes to questions of construction, we generally defer to them, and when it comes to questions solving aesthetics they defer to us. Of course this is not an absolute, but that is how we function, generally, in the whole scheme of things. But, again, as Designers generally are not the builders, they are ones that solve the aesthetics. And the problem this person was dealing with is one of of aesthetics.

And, as the comments show, there are many here trying to help her keep her arch in a constructive manner. One among many is Jayme Hobbes. She has excellent advice all of the time. And she gave this homeowner excellent advice, in my opinion

It would be nice to keep the vitriolics out of the forum :o)
30 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:12PM
Jayme H.
No picture posted on this site can show what this area really looks like in person. Our view from our screens likely is not a true picture of the reality of the room. Therefore, I choose to offer suggestions and no more.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:19PM
collettec
I love it. Certainly it's a decorative feature but everything outside of the functional structure is - including stone arches when they are used as decorative features. There's no difference between stone framing arches and other framing door arches, including wood framing as arches, except the material. I think you have a lot of vision and commend you for it - it's going to look gorgeous! Please post pics when it's all finished and put together - would love to see it!
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:39PM
bevballew
Definitely unfinished. What about running wood above it? Like a flat paneled wood with same color of stone. Not beadboard but along the lines of a pretty light stained wood, maybe the rest of the wall? What about a beam same color as stone. Or you have to get a stone that acts as the bullnose. One of the above pictures had a beam and it looked great. Run stone to the edge of the wall and then a beam all the way across. Keep us posted. Fp is stunning!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:04PM
Aja Mazin
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design,

Oh course, you are embarrassed!

blah, blah, blah.....
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 9:09PM
bevballew
I looked at the link given above and to go to the ceiling would take away the beauty of the arch. I think as you decided to get the beams up and then you will be able to tell. Having stone finish by turning the direction of maybe the same stone or a stone same in color will finish it, or I still think a beam would work as I thought it looked good above, of course painted the same as the stone. Not sure if a good idea to go straight across to the right might work. I think the beams up will solidify the final decision. Can't wait to find out what works.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:28PM
PRO
emzc You described it perfectly. I agree in this case it is being used as a framing rather than a support/wall. Makes total sense!
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:38PM
Jayme H.
Thank you for the compliment Mary Poulos. I just try to go with the basics and then panic...LOL..Working with what a person has is not always a bad thing..many things are in the eye of the beholder. My work has taught me much about how I view things. And also that we all have something to contribute.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:31PM
PRO
I have noticed you often in the discussions as one of the people who does great research and brings back the very answer that makes me think "she is right". I like the pictures you select, they are perfect.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:56PM
PRO
builper.com
It's beautiful, just not finished yet.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:15PM
PRO
Serra Design Inc
I have not read all of the comments, however if it has not been said 100 times before I would flush out the surrounding wall with studs and sheet rock and give the appearance of having a really fat wall. I think you should beef up the other door casings left opf the fireplace so the door does not look so wimpy by comparison to the stone entry.
7 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:32PM
Jayme H.
@ MaryPoulos, thank you-Trying to learn as well as contribute. This site has a lot of bright people with varying experiences. I love it when people work together and the "posters" end up with some help or at least good info to help guide them.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:23AM
Jayme H.
I imagined something like this...maybe not the same color, etc...Not trying to re-start a debate or anything!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 2:17PM
jjandhk
Aja...are you for real?
9 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:01PM
Jayme H.
I hope I didn't incite any problems...I didn't mean to...My work makes me a problem solver..Trying to make logical suggestions that do not entail destroying something before it is even finished. Did I miss something today here?
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 3:22PM
twylahaj
One of the posts by jdkrebs, the one with the design dliemma, asked "So at what point do you put personal preference over design?" My answer would be when you are the one paying the bills and living with the results. Trust your own instincts a little more and remember that things look very different when they are finished. When you envisioned your arch and your fireplace with mantle, you didn't picture them by themselves but in a room completed by paint, window coverings, furniture, lighting, flooring, and both decorative and functional items. When you consider your arch, consider what it will look like with all that in place and with your family living in the room. If, when the room is more or less complete, you find that the arch is overwhelming, you can always balance it out with built-ins at the other end of the wall or massive artwork alongside it. After everything is in place, if you still think the top looks unfinished, you can add to it then or soften the top by how you accessorize. And if all else fails, you can always add a top of some sort in the future. You wanted the arch for a reason. Don't let people scare you away from it. And just think of all the wonderful conversations you can have with folks you are entertaining in your new home about all the various suggestions, insults, ideas, and encouragement you got when posting about your arch.
5 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:24PM
lessismoore
Why am I sure I'm going to regret this? However ...
In the "visualization" of the arch (the computer generated one) It does not have a "chip" out of it in the far left corner near your ceiling. It squares up. In "reality" it has that chunk out in that corner. and it is visually disturbing! In a perfect world (where you get your arch, and I get great proportions ... and a winning lottery ticket) all of this would be "centered" on that wall. If for reasons of electrical/plumbing it can't be, and you still want the arch (with the brick) could you live with a smaller opening and drag the whole thing at least a foot to the right? I don't think any kind of trim will ever make it "square up," it needs to move to the right. The more trim you pile on, the more it will feel "squished" in there.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:34PM
lessismoore
Or even arch the arch and balance the width on the sides?
21 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:03PM
bevballew
After other things are completed, as has been done already at the bottom edge of the curved part why not just finish the top the same?
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 5:56PM
bevballew
Great look lessismoore. I would vote to do what you just did! How smart! Gorgeous!
4 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:10PM
builder00
Where is this house located? Do you have an exterior picture? It looks very nice! I am working on similar arches in a custom.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:09AM
builder00
The lessismore photo would look great. The stone mason just needs to put a stone ribbon around the top of the arch like the picture above. It would actually look like part of the wall and therefore, giving the idea of serving as support.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:34AM
Jayme H.
The curve looks great...how about a mason weighing in on how to do it? The stones are large and thick, irregular..curious as to how that work work out.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:27PM
jdkrebs
Lessismore.. how did you do that picture??? That is amazing and boy, would have helped us. That is great idea and I really like that. Not sure they can make the change, but I'm sending it to builder and husband.
Everyone's comments have been very helpful and I read them all.

Serra Design... we did consider building the wall out so it would be "flush" but builder felt like that would take away the 1 foot extra we built into the room and make it seem smaller.. plus, she was a bit afraid that it would look like a "veneer" instead of actual rock.. i don't agree with that. We can always frame that wall out if we decide to, although the dust doing it at the end, woudl be a nightmare.
Anyhow... all the comments are really helpful and we are still in discussion on what to do. Now I promise, I will send completed pics at different stages on the whole house... so I can get commnents of other rooms.

But all along, what I needed was Lessismore's computer skills. I'm sure it's a simple program available.. but not one person in our builder process suggested or provided any of that and I feel like I'm paying 50 people for every step of this project!
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:39AM
bevballew
I think the stone itself is gorgeous. Your fp is beautiful. And yes it is what you want and not just what designers think. Hopefully you can round it and your problems will be over. Like someone said it is not finished. I watch hgtv all the time and people get scared and designers say wait till finished and they are right. So once you get the beams up you will be able to discern what to do. Sorry you are going thru this. Will be fun to see end product. Carolyn above always has beautiful suggestions. Top notch!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:14AM
jdkrebs
Builder00---- this house is in Arkansas. I can send you pictures of rest of house if you want... not sure how to do that, but will take some and upload them here.. woudl that work? Not sure when I'll get over there.. some time this week though and will add some pics. What specifically did you want to see?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:17AM
lessismoore
Hi - I used photoshop, but in this case, it could have been any photo editing software. I'm glad to hear that you liked it and maybe it was useful. I don't know how much prep your stone folk put into calculating materials for the arch, but I think that they needed to calculate that more carefully. From your initial design rendering, there are those subtle differences (the depth of the bricks too, your final stone juts out more than the rendering) so that too makes it feel a bit off. Plus, the brick in the rendering is all similarly sized, especially for working with the height, while the limestone is far more random. You would almost have to grid that out, piece by piece, on the floor to not have it go a bit "off." But hey, the fireplace looks perfect!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 8:33AM
PRO
I think your builder was correct in thinking if the stone was flush, it might look more like a veneer. For me personally, given the size of the room etc., I like seeing the mass of the stone. In the inspiration home with the used brick, it did not have enough mass, and it looked just like a veneer. Do like Lessismoores arch, and I am great with the way it is as it mirrors the rectangularity of the fireplace. I think arch makes the two not work together as well.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:48AM
collettec
I agree with Mary. The arch isn't there by itself, and mirroring the arch of the doorway - it's mirroring and balancing the large stone fireplace which is rectangular and has a squared off top at the ceiling. I think going with the square was the right choice and don't think it would work as well in reference to the fireplace with a rounded arch. If you round it, you are tying it visually to the arch of the doorway instead of to the top of, and shape of the fireplace stone surround. I would consider working with what you have and finishing with painting, etc. If you don't like it you can always remove stone to reshape, but it would be harder to rebuild and reform.
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:03AM
Aja Mazin
Because of the nature of stone versus brick, this seems to be a standard design for a stone arch.
4 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:31AM
collettec
There is no standard. There are pictures. They are not a "standard". The nature of the stone fireplace in this room is square. The nature of design is balance.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:35AM
PRO
Penny Construction
My Two Cents: The original used a 4" brick, it appears that the stone sticks out maybe 7 or 8 inches. The original one had the top of the brick coming out of the "line" where the wall and the ceiling meet, so the "line" of the room follows the line of the brick. The new one is 6 inches or so above the wall/ceiling line. So the thickness makes it look bulky and then the room line does not flow. Don't know the plan, but if you put a 10"deep bookcase on the right side, that would make the stone look recessed. You could mortar between the stone and the bookcase or put a piece of cabinet trim on the side of the bookcase to hide the "joint". On the top, you need to re-establish the line of the room of the wall and ceiling. The top of the bookcase could extend over the top of the stone to intersect with the wall ceiling line, an L shaped piece that on the bottom would re-establish the wall/ceiling line and tall enough to give the top line some strength across the top of the stone, the bookcase and beyond.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:39AM
builder00
Jdkrebs i really like the rustic floors from the house with the brick arch from above. Do you know what kind it is and brand. As far as the photos, just curious to what the exterior looks like and the over exterior style.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:54AM
PRO
lewis + smith
I think the real problem is that the archway opening has no real relationship to the actual architecture of the building. the opening seems somewhat arbitrary when taken in context with the rest of the space. While capping it with something might make it seem more finished, I don't think it will make it seem any more resolved from a design point of view. I would probably skin the entire wall in the same stone to avoid the half finished feel of it.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:00AM
Aja Mazin
jdkrebs.

You previously stated that:

"It's not just painters though--- our interior decorator doesn't like it either. She wasn't crazy about it from the beginning."

What does your interior decorator think now?

You are paying her for her expert, experienced opinion.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:09AM
Aja Mazin
emzc,

Rather than "standard" or "usual", I should have said most commonly used when architects and designers choose stone to be used in interior arches.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Since the arch is not in the center of the wall and there is a funny transition from the stone to the ceiling I suggest making the entire wall of stone. THis will make a much more successful design statement.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:31AM
mcbriec
I think the stone in its current configuration makes the room look extremely unbalanced and that the stone should either continue all the way across the wall at its current height, or most of the stone should be removed, leaving only stone "trim" around the arch. If you keep the stone as is, I would definitely try to put something very high and substantial next to it to make it appear less unbalanced.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:34AM
Aja Mazin
Here is a design ending the stone BELOW the point where the inward angle of the ceiling begins and uses trim to give the design a more "finished" look.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:26AM
Rosemarie
Penny Construction has the perfect solution, if you still think it looks incomplete. I love the stone and think you had a wonderful idea . I also know that it has cost a small fortune so tearing it down is just plain impractical and if putting in the bookcase adds too much to the cost then skip that too. You have what you like--stone--its your home, love it ! So much changes your perceptions during construction--first it looks small then big, back and forth..to plain to not enug. Just take a deep breath , changes during construction can add up to big dollars. I loved my design work but what I loved equally was helping the client get thro the build, a little hand holding is called for :) Trust your Designer and builder and yourself a little more--they have done this a hundred times or more and know how emotional this build and remodel process is. You will love it when you're done and have the final accessory placed !
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:29AM
Amy Stanley
I have to admit I was wondering what solution your interior designer was suggesting? Since the room is incomplete I don't see how you can decide what to do or if you need to do anything to the arch. The beams and paint will make a difference. Where is your design photo I am thinking there must have been a completed plan showing a finished space?
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:03PM
Aja Mazin
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design,

"At some point the owner felt convinced by a designer and/or a builder that this would look great in her home. I believe that was the builder/designers true opinion, and probably is still now."

We can not assume this.

To be factually accurate and for the record, the owner previously stated that:

"It's not just painters though--- our interior decorator doesn't like it either. She wasn't crazy about it from the beginning."

My take away from this is two-fold:

1.] there is an inherent danger in attempting to recreate a specific design in different materials and expecting to achieve a similar effect;

2. ] although architects, builders, and interior designers have different functions, they must work as a team
to produce the home desired by the client. A disagreement should act as a red flag, indicating that more
consideration is needed.
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:17PM
Sue So
Nothing like a visual to help you decide. I would use software to 'paint' the picture and see what helps define it, including decor on the wall to the right (when looking at it) to balance it out. No use in tearing it down b/c "it could have been better" otherwise. There are some things that can't be saved but this doesn't seem like one of them.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:29PM
Tarey Cullen
Ironwood Builders made an excellent observation. " things exist for a reason" . The eye wants to complete the structure, and, as you have not finished the construction it is even more difficult to see the finished wall.
Because the archway is to the left of center, it will need balance on the right side. Perhaps a bookshelf or an area framed with same wood as beams with a set of cabinets below ( wet bar ?) and add large framed object inside that framed area with proper spot lighting. The arch will work with the future ceiling beams you mentioned. Framing to blend will complete the connection.
Although it's rough sketch you can get a sense of the balance with wood added. Hope this helps.
Good eye ironwood. my guess you know where I'm going here.
6 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:32PM
Sue So
Tarey you rock! Nothing helps like a visual! p.s. what program do you use?
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:34PM
Rosemarie
Tarey---excellent !
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 2:36PM
Aja Mazin
I wanted to see a comparison.

IMO the stone extends up too high.
It should end just below the "ceiling line" as does the "inspiration" design.
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:40PM
Aja Mazin
The "inspiration" design compared with the existing arch.
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:50PM
rouxb
Yep, the stone is about a course too high-my only issue with the application. I like it and think once the room is complete it won't be all that egregious. And I like it much much better than the round top suggestion for this room.
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:22PM
soberg
Your pale stone arch is 50x better than the awkward brick example from the magazine. Still, I am seeing that architecturally, all is not quite well. Form should follow function. Stone supports beams, pilasters or dome, not just drywall. I don't know how to fix this and if it were mine, I would call it done and love it as it is. The stone is beautiful and well-executed, just a bit extracontextual somehow....
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:41PM
yvesun
I would have just arched it and not have made it square or made sure when they installed the arch it was centred. I love the fireplace!
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:50PM
Jayme H.
I still think the pic is making it look awkward than it prob. does in person...it is at an angle and making the left side look more cramped than it prob. looks in person..the white, unfinished wall isn't helping the appearance either...
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:01PM
rosiegabby
I have not read all the comments but the curved line created by the arch seems out of balance with the ceiling angles. Doesn't work. I think the more you enhance this you just draw more attention to it.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 10:15PM
Caitlin Crosse
I think it's great. You've made the design your own. And, it sounds like, it is going to go with the colours that you have chosen for your walls.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 11:12PM
PRO
OnePlan
I think that the stone you have chosen is quite beautiful !
The arch - as it stands right now is the only curved item in the room - that's because the room is empty !!
When the room is finished and you have furnished it you will wonder why you worried about it !!
2 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 1:58AM
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Jd. I am a Master Mason. I've built many unique masonry structures. The craftsmanship of the stone looks very nice. I also agree with Ironwood and Steve. These things need a reason, an arch needs to hold something up. The brick arch is not appropriate either, it doesn't serve a purpose. I don't like the idea of tearing it down rather enhance it's purpose. Tary with Ironwoods suggestion posted a drawing that suggest building out the wall above the arch and beefing up the right side. Don't discard this, it is a good idea. I suggest spending some time searching and talking to the others on this particular idea. Don't despair, these ppl are good at what they do. Even Aja has a an idea every so often.
5 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 10:43AM
anne dee
Redundant....
2 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 11:03AM
apennameandthata
If you lay some railway track the arch will look like form is following function. But then some pedant would ask where the train was and whinge that, from an architectural point of view, form should follow function.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 4:34AM
bevballew
Love the word pedant. Looked it up in the dictionary. I need to use it in my vocabulary. I hear ya!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 6:56AM
Aja Mazin
There is excessive whinging on Houzz.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 9:50AM
jjandhk
Aja--how true.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 9:59AM
bojaby
I think it is beautiful! The limestone gives a light feeling to a heavy product. Gray or charcoal will be the perfect wall color. My only question is, do you really want beams? I am afraid they may distract from the focal points in the room. If you do choose beams I would have them just a bit darker than the walls and not wood. However, I think the bottom line in building and decorating is to go with what you love. Your painters and masons will soon be gone and you will be left to live there. I learned the hard way on a remodel when I let the contractor make a lot of decisions. He made choices I would not have..
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 10:23AM
PRO
Eagledzines
I would do the whole area behind the structure, as marked in red, the ceiling as well, in the limestone, that is, behind the wall. It would make it look like the building was built around the cube and the fact that it is a course or two higher than the whole would not then look so out of place. Everyone seems to be looking at this in 1-D, at the wall itself. Look at it in 3-D.

I would not cap or put a soldier row across the top since that would draw attention away from the cube. Also, use stone face floor in that cube. Also, I don't think that balancing the wall is the solution. The solution is creating a space within a space, a cube that gives the eye a cohesive reason for the stone to be there.

Any bookcases, balancing, paint issues are secondary and come later to the construction at this point. Once this is solved, the interior decorators can do their magic.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 11:19AM
bevballew
I wonder what stage they are at now? We have not yet seen the progression of work so far completed. Some things must have changed.
5 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 12:21PM
Jayme H.
I want to know the status of this work of art!
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 11:14AM
PRO
Southwest Greens of New York
Is there any progress on this project? I'd like to see the finished details! :-)
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 12:40PM
bevballew
This soap opera needs an update. What a fascinating and interesting project!
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
Brown Bros. Masonry
I would continue the stone up to the ceiling so that it looks like a structural stone bearing wall.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 4:49PM
PRO
MyCraftWork, LLC
Looks beautiful!!
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 5:49PM
Jayme H.
Wondering where this thing is at
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 6:03PM
Aja Mazin
Over 3 weeks ago, jdkrebs commented:

"Anyhow... all the comments are really helpful and we are still in discussion on what to do. Now I promise, I will send completed pics at different stages on the whole house... so I can get commnents of other rooms."
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 6:37PM
sweetnoor
No.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
jdkrebs
Sorry for no update in awhile--- was getting overwhelmed on feedback. Things are rolling along - will update pics soon when farther along. We like it and as paint and rest of beams continue to go in, we are really pleased. This arch in limestone - instead of brick- was our idea and so we weren't sure how it would turn out-- probably would have framed wall out to bulk it up so arch would not stick out as much if we could do over and made built in niche on wall to right maybe to take advantage of the framed thicker wall...but overall love the arch and so glad we didn't tear it down. Builder suggested we wait and see when interior is done-- good advice. It would be a pain to frame out wall now probably-- but let's see when done.
Will update with pics... Right now house is full of paint fumes. Thx again for all the help and I will update.
6 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:49PM
rouxb
And the feedback was certainly overwhelming so I can appreciate the need to step back. In the end the only thing that matters is that YOU love it so congrats! As to the new photos, it would wise to remember that if the homeowners love the result there is no need to re-hash whatever it was that wasn't to our own individual style, taste or expertise. Climbing down...
3 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:26PM
jjandhk
thanks so much for the update!!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:26PM
Jayme H.
Sounds like you are happy, glad to hear! Would love to see pics!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 7:33PM
Madeline
Like Jayme, jjdesignkloos and everyone else, I'm anxiously awaiting photos. I've bookmarked your post. I'd actually enjoy seeing anything that has to do with your build. Good luck and try to find time to relax your brain.
1 Like   March 15, 2013 at 8:35PM
Aja Mazin
Perhaps we will see stalactites and stalagmites and other beautiful formations that are commonly found in limestone caves.

LOL
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 10:17PM
drpetemcd
I would have ferred the wall out to make it look as though it actually supports the structure rather than slapping it on the outside of a wall. Ie. the outer surface would be almost flush with the wall minus an inch or two which would be achieved by the thickness of the stone
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:01AM
Aja Mazin
jdkrebs,

Hopefully, your home has cleared of paint fumes!

It has been over 3 months since since we last heard from you.

Houzzers are waiting on pins and needles for photos and updates as you promised!
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 9:44AM
Aja Mazin
jdkrebs,

In view of the tornadoes Arkansas has suffered recently, I think houzzers are concerned.

Hope you are safe!
2 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 11:14AM
indianpatti
Agree with Jan Ishill .. would stone the entire wall.

Not sure why the builder didn't use L-shaped bricks to line just the arch.
3 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:28PM
Brenda
any photos to share yet jd? is your house complete?
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 3:33PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Love the limestone instead of brick. Good job. Once paint goes in it will be amazing. Firepl. To die for. Some bold big art over it.
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:39PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Never mind I see TV going in.
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:40PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Take heavy beam across whole wall.
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 3:40PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Or just put rock on whole wall to ceiling? That would be dramatic.
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 3:43PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Aja,
Long time ! One solution that may be less expensive - or more depending on how high in quality/authenticity you want to go - would be to have some (large) stone based art - or even faux-stone possibly (cheaper there) that's vertically rectangular - just to the right of the archway to balance it out. It would of course be the same height as the archway AND to look right, you'd want something thick enough (cost enters in there maybe) that it would protrude out from the wall and really even out the archway effect.

This could possibly keep you from having to do an overhead beam over the archway.
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:37AM
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
It just looks silly. Like you are trying to ... anyway, an arch would help soften it.. I do like your fireplace. Not a fan of fake rock.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 4:51AM
Connie
leave it, paint and dress the room-I think once its dressed it will look fabulous-but at the moment its the only thing to look at. and if the archway "needs a purpose" as someone said - I think you have created a great ledge for artwork. as someone who has been agonising over ever minute detail of her own renovation for almost 2 years (and we are yet to even break ground) - it is not worth agonising over everything. It will work out, or else you will find a way to make it work. good luck. looking forward to the finished photos
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 5:11AM
rouxb
Why does a suggestion need to include an insult? Does it add a little "pop of color"?
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 11:01AM
Aja Mazin
HELLO @Frank Bright ,
[who entertained and educated us with his pillow dilemma in one of Houzz's most beloved longest running threads!]

You are looking good!

Why am I not surprised that in addition to all of your other talents - music, decorating, and all the grand qualities of a Southern gentleman - you are an artist!

Check out his work at http://frank-bright.artistwebsites.com/

I especially love your birds, particularly the egrets and cranes - I live only a block from a mangrove swamp and often see them strutting in the sun.

So glad to see you again!

Incidentally, do you have a sledge hammer I could use?
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 11:13AM
Aja Mazin
Hey! @travis interiors,

We have yet to see another actual photo since March, I believe......
I do believe rouxb, as proxy for jdrtebs, is preparing us for no photos of the end result.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 11:21AM
rouxb
Well, Aja, with the number of careless, rude comments she has received I can't say I blame her. I just don't understand the need to be snarky and, BTW, I cast only my own vote.

The project is undoubted finished by now and I hope jdkrebs has many years of enjoyment in her new home.
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 12:23PM
Marilyn Wilkie
@Connie, I quit reading the thread and scooted to the bottom. I was so glad to see your comment. Sometimes I think people are sorry that they exposed their ideas to the commenters here. I agree with you. When the rest of the room is finished it may make a lot more sense. And if it doesn't make sense to the commenters here...so be it! I find it very interesting and quite beautiful.
3 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 12:59PM
Aja Mazin
@rouxb"

"Snarky and rude" are judgments you are making and applying to the comments of others
who are offering advice and opinions at no charge.

Please keep in mind that soliciting the advice and opinions of others is the purpose of this forum.

Is it your place to call out others, in general, as rude, careless, or snarky?

Is it your place to continually hijack this thread?

jdkrebs has received a great many comments from pros who have taken their time and effort to offer their expertize?
Some have even done computer mock ups.

I think they deserve gratitude, not criticism.

And welcome to Houzz!!
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 1:01PM
Aja Mazin
Marilyn Wilkie,

Wise words indeed.!

I think that you have explained the psychology in a few words, quite well.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:07PM
labbcstx
I have no opinion. Just been reading others input. Looking forward to seeing pictures of completed project. Just hang in there and "inspiration" will eventually come to you.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:35PM
tessaway
Sorry arch looks too heavy and out of place.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:41PM
Connie
@aja mazin

constructive criticism is one thing (which we all ask for, by submitting questions) Plain rudeness and insults are not.
Just saying
5 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 1:48PM
rouxb
posting against my better judgement : )

@Aja Yes, they are judgements and no, they are not being applied to those offering positive advice and helpful opinions at no charge. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Absolutely

Sometimes. Sharing design dilemmas can make a Houzzer quite vulnerable. Having people make thoughtless or unkind comments ( i.e."that is hideous", "that looks silly" "what were you thinking"-sorry can't resist-"do you have a sledge hammer I could use?") makes me feel bad for the OP. Right or wrong I sometimes feel the need to remind posters that there are people on the other end of their comments. Houzz is an island of relative tranquility in the sea of ugly on-line communities. I value that.

Thank you, though I am not new to Houzz. Hi-jack done, climbing down. YMMV
7 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 2:13PM
Aja Mazin
z z z z z ......
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 2:27PM
PRO
Tuscany Builders
HI! The reason this is looking different is because of the vaulted ceiling. Please look at this photo of an arch room divider with a flat ceiling. It may give you some insight on how to proceed.
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 2:32PM
pbkelling
If it were my house, I'd beef up the floor below (if needed) and finish the entire wall with the stone. Then again, I love stone.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 2:37PM
gypsyrose17
Personally I agree with some of the others who advise you to leave it alone for now, paint add your beams, flooring, etc. and then see how it feels. I like it "as is".
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
JWinteriors
The problem is, the height of the stone goes into the sloped ceiling. Create a built out fireplace mantle look that covers the top courses so that the "beam" look goes all the way to the wall, with a small bevel. Build it beafy with lots of details in the layering. Then, paint it white or stone color.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:12PM
joots07
I'm no expert, but what occurred to me is to finish the arch in a triangle that touches the ceiling on the left side and parallels the ceiling on the right side. I think it's gorgeous, by the way.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:24PM
PRO
Cheryl Khan
I think that you would need to see more pictures of the house. It depends on how this arch flows with the remainder of the house. If you are shooting for an eclectic collection, then this could be a great way to add a cultural influence. Not sure just how big the home is, but if it is limited on space, the arch may be a over bearing. Just something to think about. Hope that this helps!
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:36PM
rouxb
The room is done.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:57PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Awhhhh. At last. Hope it's great.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:15PM
Brian Shelton
Some sconce that hold candles and frame the top up the width of the stone or a little wider or smaller...that lip is unfinished or like above cap with beam like cypress which would be like 600 bucks and done but the beam would have to termanate at the end which would look odd like why does it stop. A fake box out beam would be crap because you have real stone like why faux it.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:38PM
Aja Mazin
I think we would all like to see some pictures, as promised.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:43PM
incubus_of_habit
The one beef I'd have with that arch is that it's clearly faux--as a true stone arch has, well, an actual arch of stones that are physically transferring the load to the walls. But if you like it, then that's great. It really is a bold element and if it works for you, that's all that matters.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:47PM
buzzersma
Do the whole wall. It seems this stone is floating there in between the two rooms and stone doesn't float. Putting stone on that entire wall would confirm the need for the arch. Did you think about putting in a keystone? Or using larger stone on the arch itself? Those are the stones doing the work. Check out the Aqueduct in Segovia.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 5:27PM
buzzersma
How about a heavy column on the right?
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 6:09PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Aja, sometimes waiting is hard, but something later may pop into place that means something more to YOU, and it wouldn't have come any other way than by letting it come naturally at its own pace.
1 Like   October 25, 2013 at 3:54PM
Aja Mazin
My eye is immediately drawn to the top left hand stone and the expression "square pegs and round holes".

It reminds me of a chipped tooth in need of repair.
1 Like   October 25, 2013 at 4:03PM
Aja Mazin
Frank,

True, indeed.
We must have been writing within minutes of each other!
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 4:07PM
bevballew
We are so very anxious to see the results and it may be we never see the the completed room so asking sometimes prompts a response.
1 Like   October 25, 2013 at 5:29PM
bevballew
Why do those who did not get caught up in the drama miss out on the finished product. Best thing is to ignore the drama and enjoy the discussion.
1 Like   October 25, 2013 at 7:28PM
rochound
Hi Aja, Thank you for your support. I guess we should both be locked up. That girl goes out of her way to provoke people I've noticed. At first I thought that girl was a teenager because of her lack of manners and internet etiquette. She was correct that I had not read the comments; I believe a person's opinion is none of my business. I felt you were attacked wrongly as well. I don't believe animals should be in cages on a day to day basis. The idea of putting a kennel in a workshop or laundry room is as absurd as having a 2 story home with all of the bedrooms upstairs and the laundry downstairs. I'm sure the builders meant well, hoping to maximize space but it's a bad idea if you are doing the laundry. Birds belong in the air and 4 legged animals need to be 'free' to run about. I love your plans to put in an arch. With the grayed walls and wood beams you already have I agree with you in that the photo's bricks and patters do look a bit too finished. A more rustic French Country kitchen design may be worth looking at. I have a few references with some very nice photos if you are still shopping for ideas. Drop me a note and I'll get you what I can.
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 11:50AM
Marilyn Wilkie
@rochound, you said..." as absurd as having a 2 story home with all of the bedrooms upstairs and the laundry downstairs." It isn't absurd to me. I don't spend my time upstairs in the bedrooms waiting for the laundry loads to finish. I'm down where the action is, collecting laundry as it finishes. Why walk up and down the stairs multiple times to change the loads over??? That is absurd to me.
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 12:30PM
Aja Mazin
@rockhound,

You were brave to speak out!
Insults and name calling are prohibited, and that was clearly violated.
Your comments showed more wisdom and patience than I possess!!

The above home is not mine
My home has no brick or stone, save 2 small fireplaces and all of the walls are "white".
My oriental rugs and furnishings add the interest to a blank canvas.

Now about positioning the laundry!

It is not about checking on the laundry, but carrying the laundry for 5 people up and down the stairs.

Pity my poor mom who is the mother of triplets - me and my brothers [who are identical twins.] Our bedrooms and a small playroom were upstairs, with the bathrooms and other bedrooms.

My mom used cloth diapers for us [six dozen] and with crib linens, blankets, clothes, etc. , my mom carried a diaper pail and laundry baskets up and down the stairs.
She did 5 to 6 loads of laundry 5 days a week!
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 2:29PM
Keitha
Hi Aja, I see you are up to your old tricks again..... Your mama is quite a woman!!!
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
rochound
I don't think the arched wall 'fits' in the room in the photo. It appears a bit disjointed but it's not finished... As for the room Aja described (grayed walls and wood beams) I agree that she may want an arch that is more subtle with weathered stones and/or a different pattern. Gray tones and wood can work with beautifuly with a variety of materials. I just painted a mural on my arch instead of adding bricks. It turned out great. Plus with paint if you get tired of it you can always paint over the mural and add rounded moldings or something different. Brick is more permanent. I like doing as many projects as I can myself. I'm not a contractor by any means but I'm good with color and I've collected a lot of photos of great decorating ideas. (None with laundry rooms farther from the bedrooms than the floor they are on!)
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 5:07PM
rochound
Hi Marilyn, Thankfully all homes are not built the same! We each are individual with our own routines. With a house full of boys plus their friends and teammates adding to the laundry and overflowing hampers I was grateful to have the laundry room away from the 'living areas'. Doing laundry once a week was enough for me when my house was full. Now, we have downsized a bit and have a single story home. My husband didn't want to deal with stairs in his golden years so we bought now rather than later. I do have a lot more room for my art studio and a fabulous workshop for other projects. He takes care of the vehicles and motorcycles so that leaves lots of time for my club and projects. Needs change over time and even though I dreaded laundry day with my son's friends asking me to wash their uniforms too I also loved the fact that the kids felt comfortable in my home. I miss cooking for lots of hungry people but I don't miss the laundry!
2 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 5:20PM
rochound
http://www.houzz.com/stone-arch This link has some beautiful designs. I like all of these photos Houzz posted under stone-arch. I like Modern designs also but these are very soothing.
0 Likes   November 23, 2013 at 6:01PM
rochound
These arches are from sites other than Houzz
1 Like   November 23, 2013 at 6:03PM
Aja Mazin
Keitha,

Thank you on behalf of my mom.
1 Like   November 24, 2013 at 12:20PM
PRO
bryght.com
Yes! LOVE!
0 Likes   November 24, 2013 at 1:53PM
PRO
Mint Design
I really think you should make that entire wall limestone and I also think the beams will look fine but you will need to make your trim all around the room heftier to pull it off. Keep us posted and enjoy the process. :)
0 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 3:37PM
Aja Mazin
WHERE ARE THE PROMISED PHOTOS?
0 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 4:25PM
my1gmail
This is an old discussion. Original post was over a year ago. How do these things get resurrected?
0 Likes   May 21, 2014 at 4:27PM
builder00
Should have done something like this picture.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Ideas for new house!
Just moved into a new house and want to make it a bit...
Do people in USA likes cement tiles?
I'm thinking of opening a time business based in Texas,...
Vinyl windows, white or beige/tan?
I'm trying to decide between white or beige windows?...
Length of drapes
My husband and I are in month five of rehabbing our...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.