Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Could really use some help on my kitchen
annonmd
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I finally have a budget (a small one but it's a good start) to update our kitchen. I'm doing the countertops, backsplash & cabinets for now. The floor was relatively new when we bought the house & frankly, I can't afford to replace them.

I found myself getting drawn to Bianco Romano whenever we go out & look at slabs. My second choice is giallo ornamental light. The Bianco is almost twice the price of the giallo - there alone is one dilemma. Should I splurge or go with giallo as it is already an upgrade to our laminate one?
We have no plans of moving anytime soon.

As for our cabinets, should i paint it or just restain it?

Attached are pictures of my existing floor & cabinets and the slab that I reserved. The cabinets are the ones above my cooktop. I'm thinking of removing the shelf and putting a tile mosaic (?) there

Oh, and what about the sink? Stainless or something like blaco's silgranite? I have black appliances right now but am planning on going to stainless steel. My cooktop is black with stainless steel border.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I love Bianco Romano, one of my favorites, but I don't care for it with your floor which you plan to keep. You may want to paint your cabinets rather than restain them so that you don't darken the room too much. Of the two stones you have mentioned, the Giallo Ornamental would be my preference in your room - but only if it is the more brown tones rather than a slab with yellow undertones.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:08PM
aksnt11
I would try toning the grout of your floor to be darker, I think that would enhance the whole floor dramtically. Painting the cabinets an earth brown- gray to match the slab you picked out and the floor you have would look fantastic, and be budget friendly. Time to remove the old cabinet hardware too... go for something new and in keeping with the wonderfull new sleek look you are developing in the kitchen. The only thing left is the white tile backsplash, and if you remove the shelf to do a mosaic you could pull all together the white and gray tones plus an accent color in the slab and floor, maybe that rust color I see? I'm sure it will look great!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:22PM
PRO
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
Your oak cabinets will be a challenge to paint. The grain will show through, which may not be bad for something that is a beachy, casual look. Just know that they won't be smooth. A light soft creamy glaze may help tone down the browness of the cabinets. Take a door off and sample your ideas on the inside of a door so that you know what you will getting. With that change, I'd say go with the granite you love. From the photos, it looks like it will mix well.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 3:29PM
annonmd
Thanks for all the input! Would glass subway tiles work with a glass mosaic?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:07PM
Natalie
Hi---paint the cabs a soft warm gray and add a glass tiled backsplash---nothing busy, no need with that particular piece of granite.
Good Luck!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:17PM
PRO
dezign interiors, llc
I know you're anxious to have a "new" kitchen, but I don't think it's wise to put the effort and money into an older kitchen. I would keep saving and replace the cabinets and floor once you have enough saved, especially since you'll be there for a while. It will be worth the wait. In the meantime, change out the hardware and add some fun throw rugs. You'll be happy you waited. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:01PM
Angela Wolford
Paint isn't too expensive; paint the cabinets black. Post pics after! :)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:48PM
Elaine Hicks
I have had disappointing experiences with silgranite, definite staining after a year or so..
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:13PM
cnobleco
If those cabinets over the cook top are not vital for storage, I would get rid of them. It sounds like you want to put something up there that is eye catching and creative. Go for it! It will really open up your space. I like your floors, but agree with an earlier post-the color seems off. It seems too light to compliment, rather than compete (maybe it's glare?) go for something warmer, rather than cool, in tonality.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:36PM
violinist3713
I would paint the cabinets white and get rid of the tile backsplash. Also, black granite looks great with white cabinets
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:52PM
annonmd
Here's a pic of the tile floor next to the granite. Does it clash?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:23PM
annon
I apologize... that one doesn't really show the tile. I don't know why. On my picture, I can see the whole tile.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:11PM