Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Green or taupe?
Dawn
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are about to put our house on the market. Should we paint it or leave it this lime green color?
This is taupe
Or leave lime green?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
Neither….BM Linen White or BM Collingwood. You may want to replace those furry pillows. Right now Pottery Barn is having a sale.Is it possible to move the bed to another wall, preferably the one opposite the door?
February 18, 2013 at 3:41pm     
Aja Mazin
White.
February 18, 2013 at 4:05pm     
Jayme H.
Pick a lighter shade...a neutral like..this
February 18, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Robyn Eisler
If you leave that lime green on the walls then you are kissing goodbye a potential sale. And if your house is a family home, please I am begging you, do not paint any wall poo-brown colour - that includes mustard. It is just wrong. Just paint the walls white and use a colour on the bed with a similar colour on the bookshelves.
February 18, 2013 at 4:30pm     
Judith Harlow
I agree, a lighter tan would be more neutral for the general public.
February 18, 2013 at 4:32pm   
DIAspoton
very light neutral color move the bed away from the window and door. replace bedding and especially pillows with a solid, light neutral including a spread that comes to the floor. declutter, open the blinds and listen to your agent,
February 18, 2013 at 4:35pm   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I definitely agree with a more neutral color and if you can buy bedding in a bag from somewhere like Bed Bath & Beyond, that would really help in staging your home. Chrysteen
February 18, 2013 at 4:54pm   
groveraxle
White or any light neutral.
February 18, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Dawn
Did I mention that this is my daughters room upstairs? The picture I took is very light brown like the rest of our house. I should not have said taupe. We are putting in a white twin bed for the staging. I thought since it was a kids room we could leave it a fun color. Does everyone still feel the same? Thanks so much for your votes!
February 19, 2013 at 6:19am   
curacaoblue
No because you have no idea what a buyer will use the room for. White or beige is the best color to paint a room when selling a home. Neutral makes it move in ready and appeals to the largest range of people.
February 19, 2013 at 6:23am     
hamptonurn
Although I love the lime green, I'm probably in the minority. I would definitely re-paint to a taupe or white. Sorry!
February 19, 2013 at 6:28am     
lefty47
HI -- Just paint it with a white primer , then it is all set for the new owners ideas.
February 19, 2013 at 6:34am     
Aja Mazin
What does your real estate agent recommend?
February 19, 2013 at 7:05am   
PRO
The Home Beautiful
I am a big fan of the green for a kids room, just not for resale. Keeping the room as neutral as possible allows a potential buyer to envision what the possibilites of the room is for themselves.
February 19, 2013 at 7:09am     
Jennifer Hogan
What is the market like, what is your competition, who is your target market?

I am planning on selling my home this spring and made a conscious decision to paint color rather than neutral for my home because I have a huge, kid friendly, backyard and am minutes away from some of the best schools.

My competition includes a lot of newer homes that have the postage stamp lots, HOA fees and are further from the schools. Every one of these homes is painted builders beige and white. I need to attract a family with young kids who want a home, not a showcase. If they want a showcase I can't compete with the new homes.

There is logic to the neutral colors selling, but there is also something to be said for being different if there is a lot of tough competition.
February 19, 2013 at 7:32am     
decoenthusiaste
Everyone has covered color very well. I would emphasize the fact that you need to pack up 50% of your own personal stuff and take your personality and thumbprint off the property. Buy a baking fragrance oil (cinnamon, chocolate, etc.) to dab on light bulbs throughout the house just before turning them on for a showing. Be sure bulbs are cool when you dab. Also make sure window treatments are open, lights are all on and they can eat off your floors!
February 19, 2013 at 8:14am     
Jayme H.
A lot of people can't look past vivid colors, wallpaper, things like that...At least with more neutral colors, they seem more able to picture their own style in the home...
February 19, 2013 at 9:45am     
movethisnotthat
this Realtor and stager says.... no to the lime green walls & no to the dark taupe. Your Real Estate agent will know what their buyers are looking for in your area. Ask them please.
February 19, 2013 at 9:59am     
sandra1942
Definitely paint it. Men don't handle intense color well when house hunting. They forget we can buy paint. It needs to be soft. Perhaps an almost white pink. The palest possible. It is a girls room. Men are suckers for pink. Test it. Next time you know the discussion is going to be difficult, wear pink. It works!
February 19, 2013 at 10:07am     
Dawn
I am calling agents now to interview, thx so much for the feedback!
February 19, 2013 at 10:52am     
More Discussions
Help update a long house with a short roof
I want to update the exterior with adding something...
Need help for my mid '90's kitchen!
See post below for explanation.
Calling Houzz Regulars/ Puzzle Lovers: Powder/Closet Layout
New Powder Room and Master walk in closet layout ideas...
Need help with lighting and mirror in bathroom
We are remodeling a guest bathroom. I'd like to put...
Disabled Access bathroom as I am wheelchair dependent 100%
I am a disabled 47 y-o moving to a new house. Want...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.