powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Check out some of these before pictures of this log cabin we just bought. 1965 thre up everywhere!
Victor
February 18, 2013 in Before & After
Wait until the 'after'! lol
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Oakwood Veneer
Are you going to paint the cabinets or completely redo?
February 19, 2013 at 6:34am   
Victor
The plan is to repaint them and add new oil rubbed bronze hardware. They are solid, just need work. Plus in a log cabin it might be a real pain to replace them. We are also doing granite countertops and travertine on the floor. I'm painting them with Ben Moore advanced waterborne Alkyd
February 19, 2013 at 6:49am   
PRO
Dytecture
Hopefully you'll post the after photos in this post so I can follow !
February 19, 2013 at 4:23pm   
laurae1967
Travertine floors in a log cabin? Sounds formal. Also, won't that be cold underfoot unless you get radiant heating?
February 19, 2013 at 5:15pm   
Victor
Def will post after pics. Travertine because its a natural stone and we wanted to lighten up as a contrast to the darker wood everywhere. Also it's a high traffic area
February 19, 2013 at 5:35pm   
PRO
Brown Bros. Masonry
Can't wait to see when you're done. In the 4th pic was able to catch a glimpse of the fireplace...love natural stone fireplaces.
February 20, 2013 at 7:42am   
Victor
I have 80 photos in my ideabook but not sure how you could view them? All of the floor tile is going to be ripped out. The kitchen cabinets remain but that's about it. Doing granite countertops with one side a granite breakfast bar while the other side that faces the living room/fireplace will be a similar bar but rather a large piece of very old natural hardwood (I bought it at an antique place - a former fireplace mantle almost 4 inches thick). I will try my best to match the stain. Bathroom is a gut with the tub being reglazed.
February 20, 2013 at 7:48am   
cimcgrath
I have similar color cabinets in a mountain home which I am thinking of painting or staining. What have you decided? Thinking of off white shade to match granite, but have white appliances. Worried that going darker will be too dark and too woody with the rest of the house.
March 26, 2013 at 2:15pm   
Victor
Hi cimcgrath! I did 2 coats of primer paint then 2 topcoats of Valspar Signature 'Cork Top' satin finish. I'm putting everything back together this Saturday so I'll add pics. Its a cream type color - very nice and will go with the granite countertops and all the wood.
March 26, 2013 at 2:30pm   
cimcgrath
Very nice color. Much like what I have in mind. Was the painting hard to do? What color is the granite?
March 26, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Victor
I wouldn't say 'hard' just very tedious and time consuming from properly sanding and prepping the doors and frames to painting and making sure there are no runs, etc. Granite is pictured (sample). Worth it though when you think of spending about $150 vs what new would cost..
March 26, 2013 at 2:37pm   
cimcgrath
Reading earlier posts you mentioned using Ben Moore Advance? I too have been talking to paint store people about Advance. Sounds like you changed your mind and went to Valspar? May I ask why?
March 26, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Victor
not by choice. I used their primer but we picked a paint color we liked at Lowes figuring BM could just match it with the code... They couldn't and none of the BM paints were close. Thats why. Go to BM first. :)
March 26, 2013 at 2:41pm   
cimcgrath
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing more ...
March 26, 2013 at 2:46pm   
More Discussions
POLL: Carpet or Hardwood?
Do you prefer carpet or hardwood as your go-to flooring...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...
Need help in deciding whether to place hardwood over in floor heating
New addition in cottage on river. I want to create...
Have you bought a new build? - What do you wish you knew?
Have you ever bought a brand new house directly from...
need help with my living room
I am repainting our house. Need some ideas on something...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.