Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Laminate or Vinyl plank?
gina3530
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi Houzz Community,

This is my first posting. About a month ago I bought my first place. Its a townhouse style condo that is a bit of a fixer upper. I'm on a budget so I want to put either Laminate or Vinyl plank flooring on the main level but I feel like every store I go into tries to steer me toward one or the other without helping me weigh the pros and cons. Right now, wood is outside of my budget, and I don't think its worth it to put the wood floor in a relatively low priced condo, plus (the main reason) I have a dog and I don't want her to ruin such a big investment. But I still want the warmth of a wood floor so I want as close to the look of wood as I can get.

The first floor is an open floor plan so I want to use the same flooring throughout. It would cover the living room, dining room and kitchen. So, since its going in the kitchen, is Vinyl plank my only option? I found a lamniate that I like but the last two stores I've gone into have pushed me toward the vinyl.

The picture has the Laminate that I've picked out next to the tile that will be going on the fireplace surround and hearth, ignore the old peachy tile at the top of the picture, its already gone. I've already the tile but not the flooring. Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was taken on my iPad.

Thanks for the help!!

Gina
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmldml
Love the fireplace tile. What would you think about floor covering that was less red and more of a grey oak, to pick up on the tile and contrast with your stained trim?
February 18, 2013 at 5:35PM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The vinyl plank should do well.
February 18, 2013 at 5:44PM     
gina3530
Thanks dmldml! The grey is a good idea I should look into that.
February 18, 2013 at 6:00PM     
acsamuels
We have had vinyl plank throughout our entry, living room, nook, and kitchen for four years now and have loved it.
February 18, 2013 at 6:38PM     
gina3530
Thats wonderful! I'm glad to know people are happy with it. Its not really a DIY project though is it?
February 18, 2013 at 7:06PM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Love-DeCHATEAU is perfect with this tile. Find the nearest dealer. Their vinyl plank is by FAR the nicest I've seen out there. It looks so real -and would be perfect with this tile. Esp the driftwood and cerused finishes.
February 18, 2013 at 7:10PM     
Jay Van Daley
I have laminate flooring throughout my house. I love it...except for one thing. We had a washer hose blow out in the laundry room, which has tile floors, and the water flooded the hall floor. Laminate does not handle that very well, and neither would an engineered wood floor. I've never worked with or tried vinyl plank flooring, but it seems to me is should be quite durable.
February 18, 2013 at 7:11PM     
PRO
Here is their link for their vinyl. The pics don't do it justice! Looks way better in person. I'm using in my next house because of the pets. http://duchateaufloors.com/collections/vinyl-deluxe/
February 18, 2013 at 7:12PM     
gina3530
Thanks for the product recommendation! I will look them up!
February 18, 2013 at 7:42PM   
acsamuels
II stalled it all myself. We used an allure traffic master floor
February 18, 2013 at 8:41PM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Laminate has limits in a kitchen/wet situation. Leaky pets (slobbery dog bowl, small bladder, call it what you will) is a difficult mix when it comes to laminate. You can also look at cork flooring...but the size of the dog may make this too much of a "scratch" issue (just like hardwood, cork can be scratched...it's just easier to fix).

Go with a vinyl plank that is water proof and you can put that thing EVERY WHERE! A good rule of thumb: your floor is only as good as the underlay! Many people want to save money on the underlay and then wonder why laminate/vinyl floors feel/sound so horrible (vinyl planking has come a long way so don't worry too much about that aspect).

If your floor height allows for it, have a look at a 6mm cork underlay (1/4" cork underlay). Icork Floor/Cancork Floor sell the 6mm cork underlay for $0.67/sf ($99.99/carton = 150 sf). The sound properties alone will make you very happy! Plus, the warmth under foot will be quite impressive.

My cork floor of choice for your tiles = Taupe Leather or Brown Leather. They both sell for $3.89/sf. Have a look at the photos.

If you can afford it, a floating Stone-Cork floor (yes real stone) for $5.99/sf.
February 18, 2013 at 10:08PM   
PRO
Healthy living has the best underlayment I've ever used . See it here: http://www.healthierchoice.com/residential.aspx Their carpet padding is the Rolls Royce of padding. The 7/8ths. I wont accept any substitutes from the carpeting store and clients love it. It also dulls sound and quiets the house in split levels. A must in kids bedrooms, theaters, etc
February 19, 2013 at 6:52AM     
sms9758
Both laminate floors and vinyl plank as in allure are do it yourself. We have done both very easily. They look fantastic afterwards. Note I used laminate and my daughter chose allure. With both of us having pets she made the better choice. Also don't get a glossy finish unless you want to clean every day. I learned this the hard way. Her allure has been fantastic with three dogs three kids and on messy husband.
February 19, 2013 at 7:23AM     
calikym
@CRM, what makes it the RR of padding? Thanks.
February 19, 2013 at 7:32AM