Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
dated living room remodel help needed
Julie Dvorak
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
just bought this house. any ideas on updating besides new flooring and wall coverning/paint
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdamron61
New window treatments and chandelier. Stone fireplace surround looks odd. Can you demo stone and redo the fireplace?
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:10PM
Sandra Huston
Well, I would do wall to wall drapes mounted at the ceiling. And definitely a new chandelier! I would either do a nice hardwood/laminate. And keep your paint color neutral. You could do crown moulding around the room also. I would love to see another picture that shows your fireplace. The room has huge potential! It's just way out of date!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:24PM
Julie Dvorak
I wish I had more pictures, but I don't. Thank you for your comments.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:39PM
libradesigneye
Assuming this is your most formal room, take down the existing baseboard and crown and put up bigger trim in here and repaint all the existing whites in a ecru / creamy off-white. Use steel gray curtain rods and new chandelier / spray out your favorite antique find in gunmetal gray spray paint.

If possible, carry the gray plank flooring suggested through here. Decide on the color by looking at it next to the stone fireplace. Carry the mid-tone muted spa blue tone from the kitchen on all the walls in this room save the fireplace - paint it the middle toned gray taupe you can find in the stone - worry over those swatches until you find a greige that is a great match. Then hang a beautiful large single square piece of art in camel, white and a bit of aqua - ideally a modern unframed wrapped canvas. Look for a berber bound carpet remnant in a sandy tone with gray and camel elements.

Furnishings in sand, camel. Drapery in linen tone - long panels hanging at each end and between the three - velvet would be best - something very texture rich - you can find these at PB.

Paint at least one piece of furniture you now own (perhaps a sideboard) in a charcoal gray / a different tone than the greige needed for the chimney wall. If you have an old wooden chair or two (or all your dining room chairs), paint dove gray. Add silver framed black and white art on the wall near the dining room table (rub&buff existing wood frames for the driftwood echo), print fabrics with camel, aqua, cream for pillows, recover / slipcover a really comfortable chair for by the fire. A few natural wood elements that you already own - coffee table, diningroom table, a straw ottoman / seat pair for by the fire - voila . . . .
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:58PM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about these nice drapes? Paint your walls neutral and you will have more options regarding the color of drapes. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page or our website!

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: sales@cheerycurtains.com; nophie@cheerycurtains.com
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:00PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would remove the stone off the fireplace and just keep the dry wall and paint it add a new floor tile at the base hearth on the floor. And a large mantel shelf. Then a new fireplace screen and tools. I'm trying to figure out why the light fixture appears to be off to one end of the room. Is this a living/dining room ? If it's all living room i would rewire that electrical run to go to the fireplace with 2 recessed lites there. Or just remove the hanging lamp. Unless it was for dining then just replace it in something of a biger scale for over the table. I would go with floor to ceiling drapes on each end of the two small window and a bamboo roll up over the center window. I would go with a hand scraped walnut laminate flooring. Check them out beautiful , tough wearing & easy on the budget. I would freshen all the trim in a satin white and paint the walls in a nice eggshell pale grey or taupe. Retired Decorator, Kevin
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:08PM