Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room design and furniture layout
jfalkevitz
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just painted the living room ceiling muted blue/gray in hopes to move away from the gold, red and tans I currently have. The walls are a creamy pale yellow and the floors are cherry. Was thinking dark gray furniture???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamaloulove
REMOVE LOVE SEAT......then there is no issue...
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
Like the ceiling, but all needs to change, including the wall color.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:37PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You have effectively lowered the ceiling with the darker paint there. I suggest you paint it white.

Then I would remove the draperies and replace them with bamboo shades or wood blinds. What you need to shop for is NOT a sofa and loveseat but instead, a sofa and 2 chairs. That combination will fit much better into most homes.

Gray should be an excellent color choice for the sofa and the chairs. Look for a sofa and chairs that both have narrow arms. The furniture you have now has arms that eat up entirely too much space. Try to avoid that look. Buy pillows for your gray sofa in yellow or orange or turquoise.

Pick a wall for the TV and buy an inexpensive console to go below a wall hung TV. Ikea is an excellent source for entertainment consoles.

Find a rectangular coffee table and a floor lamp. Add a round table to go between your two chairs, plus a lamp to put on the table.

A rug will really add life to the room if you choose one with some color in it. Match the rug colors with the pillows.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASIDTraditional Sofas Stein World Wingback Chair Hammary Crossnore 2-Piece Rectangular Coffee Table Set Jaipur Rugs Grant Outdoor GD1 Rug
5 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:39PM
Robyn Eisler
what do you use this room for?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:51PM
jfalkevitz
I was afraid that might happen with adding color to the ceiling(it was white and I didn't like it). I like the idea of getting a sofa and chairs. I'll keep my eye out for ones with narrow arms. Also, what should I hang on the wall that is above live seat if I were to get the chairs and round table ? The draperies are going. It's a bow window and I like the natural light it provides during the day. The room is used for a family room and when we entertain.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
jfalkevitz
One mor addition. The wall as soon as you walk in the room has a wall mount flat screen with a console under it.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:16PM
Debbie Nance
i ti . hink a green floral couch and 2 gray recliners and get rid of the love seat. i think some light green curtains with a couple other colors in them. and a tv on the wall.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 7:26PM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I like the new paint on your ceiling!
Blue is considered a cool and "receding" colour, and will not make your ceiling feel lower like warm colours will.
I also like the idea of grey furniture! I think in the right value, it will tie that beautiful ceiling into the rest of your space.
I have digitally added a grey sofa and a vibrant piece of art to your space.
Have fun with your project!
Caroline :)
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:36PM
PRO
Act Three Designs
Hi there! I think removing the love seat could be an option if you wanted to, but for the sake of not getting rid of furniture if it is practical for your space and purposes, I would suggest a different arrangement-swapping the positions of the couch for the love seat. Placing the longer couch on the wall either flat, with small end tables and tall table mirrors to draw eye up, or forgoing tables and just using 2 tall floor lamps, or maybe a little asymmetry and having one end table with flowers and a decor item and a tall floor lamp on the other side? Really whatever is most practical for your needs.

Also, perhaps changing out the curtains, they look a bit heavy and outdated as does the tan colored wood coffee table. Maybe replacing that for a round, or rectangle glass (or mirrored) table or darker wood I think would have a nice contrast with light brown sofas. You can also do either an oval or any shape leather ottoman.The chair could be turned 180 degrees, closer to the foreground and facing the larger back wall.

Another option is to put the larger sofa on an angle in the room in that corner between back wall and window, depends on how much space you have in other side of room that isn't shown. A good rug to ground the conversation area with accent colors, either oranges and reds, or even a light green would work too with pattern. Once some colors are chosen make sure they are also found in the curtains and new pillows with patterns,texture and different shapes to make it more contemporary. Adding a real plant or palm tree might also add some elegance.

I would also suggest a star burst mirror on the long wall. It will make the space seem bigger and the picture frame there now doesn't maybe show off the space as best as a mirror would. Or you could maybe mix some similar color picture frames in different shapes and sizes and mix it with mirrors if you wanted to still keep some pictures to show off.

Here are some pictures for motivation. I absolutely LOVE this living room with star burst mirror, which is actually posted from a fellow Houzz blogger,mfranc.

ZGallerie,one of my fav stores, as well as HomeGoods might be good stores for you to check out if you have them near you, or their website. Good luck!

Eclectic Living Room design
Eclectic Living Room design
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:38PM
jfalkevitz
Thank you so much Caroline! What type of curtains work best for bow windows? Also is the wall color ok in your opinion? And, I know I need an area rug but want to pick the right mix of colors?
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:39PM
Christine Curry
I would possibly do Roman shades on the windows. I agree that the drapes are too heavy & out dated as is the table.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:47PM
jfalkevitz
What are Roman shades? I know the table and draperies (and everything else) are out dated and that is why I'm looking for advice on updates..
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:52PM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I just suggested this area rug for another project. I think it would look great with your walls & ceiling as well. Because I don't know much about your personal taste of style, I threw in another piece of art that would work with your colour scheme. :)
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 7:56PM
jfalkevitz
Like the rug but like the first piece of artwork you suggested in the prior pic better. My style is relaxed and with a modern touch. I'd like the furniture to be comfortable enough to nap on and also work well with the rest of the room.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:04PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
I like the idea of bamboo or tiny wood slats for a roman shade in a box window.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:46PM
PRO
Above the wall where the loveseat is currently located, but where we hope you'll be putting 2 chairs and a table, I would place either a large piece of art or a pair of coordinating pieces. A single piece needs to be somewhat larger than what is there now, and preferably vertical. A pair of pieces would also be vertical ones but each would be smaller than what is currently there.

You asked what is a roman shade. Here's a photo of three of them:

2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:32AM
jfalkevitz
I like the Roman shades idea and that look? Would I go with the color u posted? Also, the window those would be going on face the street and would offer no privacy. That wound be my only concern.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:03AM
PRO
The Sofa Guy
How about a clean line sectional? It will optimize your space with few arms and more seating for either entertaining or comfy family room lounge lizard activities. From your original sofas I can see that comfort is important. Look for a deep and comfy sofa/sofa sectional with small arms or even No arms to give you a more open space feel.

Love the ceiling colors, have fun.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:58AM
jfalkevitz
Sofa Guy, can you please post pics of a clean line sectional? thanks for the suggestion!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:02PM
PRO
The roman shades lower to cover the window and give you privacy. But you wouldn't want them down in the daytime as they would block the light. You might want to consider Silhouettes or wood blinds, which would allow you more flexibility.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:35PM
PRO
If you are in the US, Macy's offers leather sofas and sectionals with narrow arms.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:36PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
I just bought the Orso apartment length sofa from Macy's, and I love the style, but am concerned with the quality. It seems flimsy, and so they didn't have it in the store, so I never had the chance to sit on it prior to purchace. Mine is in chocolate.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:42PM
PRO
My son and family have Macy's Milan leather sofa and two Pavia leather recliners and love them. Most of Macy's pieces have reviews.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:47PM
jfalkevitz
Ok, design folks.. All of the furniture I posted in this original pic is gone and I would like some feedback on this coffee table, sofa and accent chair for the space??
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 1:50PM
jfalkevitz
Not the sofa in the pic with the coffee table.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 1:51PM
redheadedwmn
Like the new couch and chair you picked! I would go with a glass table or something that didn't feel so heavy.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 2:01PM
jfalkevitz
Love that table in the middle! Any idea of where that is sold in PA?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 2:04PM
PRO
Which table is in the middle? In the middle of what?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 3:05PM
PRO
I like the chair. The sectional is just okay. The coffee table has a base that goes to the floor which will get kicked and scarred, as opposed to the two on the left of the four that redheadedwmn showed you.I actually prefer the Milan sofa from Macy's: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/milan-leather-sofa-86w-x-36d-x-34h?ID=251084 It could work nicely for you if you got two of the chairs. And if you got the sofa instead of the sectional, I'd probably choose a rectangular coffee table and then a small table to put beside each chair.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 3:15PM
jfalkevitz
Hi Carolyn, when the original pic showed of the tables, it just showed 3 and I liked the one you said would get kicked and mark up the floor but that makes sense and I will consider that in my table choice. As far as the leather sectional from Macy's you suggested, I like it alot however, we have young children and 2 dogs and white just won't look nice after a couple years. Also, in most of my previous comments, I mentioned comfort being a priority.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 3:50PM
jfalkevitz
Ok, so everything in this room is now gone and I have purchased this furniture (in dark gray, although I do love the white!) Need to know what type of chair or chairs and coffee table would work best with this set. Also, need to know placement for it. Keep in mind our wall mounted tv is on the opposite wall (not shown) of the old love seat. Also, want to paint walls now that everything is gone and I have the chance to do it. Suggestions for wall colors please? (I'm keeping the coffered ceiling as is) Thanks
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 10:23AM
jfalkevitz
Backyard biosphere, still having a hard time selecting paint color for walls. The painter is coming Tuesday and my new gray couch is coming Wednesday... Help!! The samples I brought home from SW looked awful.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 1:01PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
OK, since you bought a dark grey sofa, you will be happiest with very light colored walls that co-ordinate with you ceiling color. I suggest that you show your painted the color of your sofa and let him (her?) make a suggestion based on your actual colors. I have found that many painters have a very good eye for color, and that might be your best idea at this point. Just get the super wipeable paint at SW--it is more expensive,but is totally worth it, and then you won't fear dirt.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
BTW--we ended up with SW Maison Blanche, which looks great with my new sofa in a very warm brown
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
Here's my new look--not totally done, but on my way
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 2:13PM
jfalkevitz
Hi BB, I tried a similar shade from BM called Abingdon Putty which SW colored matched for me which I saw and liked on here but the sample I put on walls looked awful. I will ck out the SW shade u suggested. Thanks
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 2:14PM
jfalkevitz
This is what the current shade actually looks like in natural light.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 2:17PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
Actually did LR and DR in same color, and am planning on whole of 1st floor to have Maison Blanche since everything else in my house is so eclectic. Also, could I suggest you look for something different for your coffee table? If your kids are little, get something softer, or with storage. If they are a bit bigger and want to climb on furniture (not that I recommend, just being realistic) get something sturdy, but not new. I am going to probably switch out my marble table b/c it is too white, but my aunt promised me a perfect mid-century danish which might or might not be around, she has to look for it...so I need some more patience. My baby is 6 and she loves this table because it is sturdy enough to sit on while playing games. Also, it is nice and vintage, so mom just doesn't care if she does.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 2:23PM
PRO
Backyard Biosphere
I think you need to pick a tonal white with a blue/grey undertone--ask at the store
1 Like   April 24, 2013 at 2:26PM