Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with doors
Genie
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to have my old farmhouse doors restored. The carpenter sanded them and repaired with wood putty as best as he could. Now I have doors that can only be painted and not stained. The problem is that the door frame and the floor trim can be stained and should be stained to match the rest of the house. Would it look wrong if I paint the doors white but stain all the trim yellow pine color? Can anybody offer me any other solutions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcgrcondo
I think it would look better if you painted the doors and trim white. I think you can still get the farmhouse look without wood doors.
February 18, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Lizabeth
Have you tried working on your doors to sand and remove the paint? It is tedious work but going slowly you can get it done. I have used a infrared heat tool wearing a mask due to lead paint fumes. Be careful. You can also buy a festool sander and vacuum cleaner which sucks up most of the dust. Best to do this working in the garage with doors on sawhorses, I read that using linseed oil and steel wool also works but have not done that myself.

On another note I have used painted trim with wood doors that have been stained. Never done the reverse.
February 18, 2013 at 7:42PM   
PRO
Of The Essence Designs
If you have access to a good faux finisher, you could faux bois the doors to match the wood grain in the rest of the house. We do this all the time when dealing with these types of situations. The pictures attached are an example of how good a painted wood grain can look if done correctly. Very cool door, by the way!
February 18, 2013 at 7:50PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Don't know where you are, but that door looks like some trim I ran into years ago. Best the paint store could figure out, it was some sort of berry juice stain. Bled through six coats of stain blocking primer and oil based paint. But for a farmhouse look, paint it all back to white. The knotty pine will need a stain blocking primer too. Try Coverstain. It wasn't around when I did the last job like that...we used Kilz and Bull's Eye for Bins. and enamel undercoater and white eggshell oil and finally pink eggshell oil. Sheesh!
February 18, 2013 at 10:54PM   
Genie
Thanks. I live in Sullivan county, NY. We inherited the doors and much more unfinished work from the previous owners. On the bright note, we got a large farmhouse on a tight budget.
February 20, 2013 at 4:36AM   
charleee
You could also look into having the doors dip stripped. This is where the doors are dipped in stripping material and all the paint comes off.
February 20, 2013 at 5:07AM   
Judy M
I think you're going to have to paint them because of the wood putty, I don't think the putty will accept stain or other treatments, unless there is some new putty I haven't heard about.

I think the white door and trim will look fresh and nice in your farmhouse.
February 20, 2013 at 5:29AM   
Genie
Thanks. I may have to just do that.
February 20, 2013 at 4:54PM   
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Need help updating the exterior of a brick ranch
Hello. I am hoping that some of you will have some...
What color should we paint the walls?!?!?
We are adding black bar stools soon. We are also wanting...
Hallway office
I really need help to make this look pretty, but calm....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.