Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What is this hole...under my cooktop?
hez2u
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Wondering what to do to make this look better. Everyone that comes in the kitchen asks what it is for and I have no good answer. One idea is to have a door built for it. My husband thinks I should fill it with pots but it pretty much looked like pots in a cavern. Perhaps the idea was to store firewood for the non-existent wood burning oven?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
It looks as if you have a gas cooktop. What is the electrical outlet for? Who was your builder? If this were my house, I would call the building inspector (who gave the occupancy permit for your house) and have him explain this. Someone with more expertise than I may have an explanation for this, but it makes me very nervous.
February 18, 2013 at 8:14PM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
likely a plug in for electronic ignition on gas cooktop. I'd get a nice wrought iron rack to sit in front & fill with some cool copper cookware or nice crockery
February 18, 2013 at 8:22PM     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
You could make it a wine rack .... Removable in order to access the plug if needed ... Just. Though
February 18, 2013 at 8:26PM     
bumbles12
Could of it been and oven?
February 18, 2013 at 8:32PM   
Christine Curry
My first thought was for an oven as well, but I really like the wine rack idea.
February 18, 2013 at 8:38PM   
bumbles12
Yes a wine rack would be great there. I would still be interested to know what they had there lol
February 18, 2013 at 8:40PM   
Darlene Rantala
good ideas,,,wine rack or wine fridge with a shelf on the top would look great, gas fireplace shelves with a kage cast iron frying pan or large potter bowl..lots of great options.
February 18, 2013 at 8:41PM   
kldinsb95949
Just thinking that the heat from the cooktop would not be good for storing wine... Maybe some shelves for pans?
February 18, 2013 at 9:12PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Put in some shallow drawers and store your posts and pans in there. We usually do that in an enclosed cabinet under the cooktop, no reason it can't be open.
February 18, 2013 at 9:22PM   
PRO
Nip Tuck Remodeling
That is a very interesting cubby. I can't quite imagine why they would have built an arch and it looks as if they drywalled it? You do need to be able to access the gas shut off, so anything you put there will have to be fairly easy to remove.

If you can find an owners manual for the cook top, it should tell you what and how far away you can put below it and if there is any heat that might travel down.

The easiest solution is to find something decorative to place in the space. The more involved solution would likely involve a local finish carpenter that could help you modify this area. Many custom paint / stain shops can do an amazing job at matching your existing cabinets and if you are lucky, you might be able to find the cabinet manufacturer for matching skins and some doors as I assume the cubby area is likely about 33" or 36"

Best of luck with your design dilemma.
February 18, 2013 at 9:35PM   
Kat Sheridan
If it weren't for the "floor" in it, I would have suggested it was a knee access space for a person in a wheelchair. Any chance there are other universal design elements in this kitchen?
February 18, 2013 at 9:43PM   
cdpearman
Looks like a kitchen pizza oven. Why not make it look like one? Would be totally cool to have a rod iron rack built in and stack firewood underneath. Add a wooden pizza paddle and the look would be complete. No one needs to know that the pizza really comes through the slot at the front door. But seriously, would look good. Pizza ovens are all the rage in kitchens right now. You could also put in double iron spindle doors(similar to fireplace doors, maybe even use fireplace doors) and use it for pan storage.
Diana
February 18, 2013 at 9:46PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have never seen a low pizza oven. They need it chest height to place pizzas in and out. Don't let an Italian see that post! ;-) http://www.lifeinitaly.com/decor/decorating/brick-oven.asp
February 19, 2013 at 1:52AM     
underedenx
Haha! im Italian! Italian/Latvian actually but us Italians don't much care how low to the ground the pizza's cook just so long it gets to the table and its accompanied by lots of Pasta!;-D it looks like the lower half of a brick oven tho! could of just put it as a design element with no purpose? i like the idea of using double iron doors! that would look sensational!
February 19, 2013 at 2:17AM     
charleee
Could you hang a pot rack inside and then hang your pots from it?
February 19, 2013 at 2:29AM   
underedenx
although im having a hard enough time finding a pic of one with doors.... one should assume this would be a $$$$ solution!
February 19, 2013 at 2:33AM   
underedenx
shelves!!
February 19, 2013 at 2:39AM     
rinqreation
A fake ovendoor! It does look like a pizza oven! Or just a shelf, the shape adds something to the kitchen, I like it.
February 19, 2013 at 3:06AM     
hez2u
Thanks everyone for your input. I love the pictures with shelves (why didnt i think of that) and I will also contact a contractor about a price for wrought iron door$. The doors might add a little more to the existing look of the kitchen but I suspect they will also cost more. I do love this house!
February 19, 2013 at 6:50AM     
underedenx
not sure where u are but you might be able to find antique iron doors? love the tumbled marble back splash btw!
February 19, 2013 at 2:47PM   
carole
would have been for the gasbottle,but i would put a nice door on it!!
February 19, 2013 at 2:50PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.