Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need design ideas for new kitchen
Lauren Michaels
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just moved into a new apartment and only have this brown table with chairs for the kitchen. The walls are pure white and the space is 10' x12'. I'd love to add bright colors and fun patterns into the room.

I'm looking ideas on artwork, rugs, tablecloths, placemats or any other suggestions. Thanks for all your help! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
Your table will not accommodate chairs; there is no room for legs. You need white, pedestal, and chairs that will allow you to sit comfortably.
Docksta Dining Table | IKEA
Wrap Dining Chair

No need for a rug in this space.

Mum Napkin Ring Antonia Print
February 18, 2013 at 7:55PM     
Lauren Michaels
Thank you. I'll look more into these types of chairs for the space. The yellow is great!
February 18, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Mike Slater
What colors do you like? Do you have other pictures of your apartment.

I think you have the start of a Scandinavian look. Try searching idea books with Scandinavian as the search term.

Have you looked at Marimekko?
February 18, 2013 at 7:59PM   
Lauren Michaels
Hi Mike, great suggestion! I'm going to search this now and look into Marimekko. I can get more photos too. I like bright colors like, yellows, orange, blues.
February 18, 2013 at 8:12PM   
gielliott
I think a colorful runner on the round table looks fun, one that hangs over the side with some edge treatment like fringe or something, and a basket on the bottom shelf you could fill with napkins and placemats and colorful linens. A row of three small square pieces of colorful art lined up below the trim line on the wall with the skinny door and then two taller skinny pieces on the other wall to balance out the skinny door would be nice for artwork. I cant seem to figure out how to post pictures from my voluminous ideabooks or I would!!
February 18, 2013 at 8:19PM     
Mike Slater
Hi Lauren,

Here are two websites that sell Scandinavian textiles, dinnerware and other items: http://www.finnstyle.com/ http://www.fjorn.com/?gclid=CIXV_MfQqbQCFaN_QgodDkMAHg

Room and Board (www.roomandboard.com) is a popular furniture store for a mid-century look. Good quality but more expensive.

If you want to add some vintage pieces, www.etsy.com is a great source. Search under "Danish Modern.'

If the Houzz ideabooks don't give you enough inspiration, here's a book on Scandinavian decorating: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Scandinavian-Magnus-Englund/dp/184597977X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361249114&sr=1-1&keywords=scandinavian+design
February 18, 2013 at 8:47PM