Users
Better view of drapes
luvdecorating2
February 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
input?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
karen paul interiors
I don't understand what you want from Houzzers. Is this an after photo?...or is there some sort of input you want? Let us know. :)
February 18, 2013 at 9:06pm   
jimo116
?
February 18, 2013 at 9:09pm   
luvdecorating2
Some input please!! Thanks!!!
February 18, 2013 at 9:20pm   
bevballew
Bring drapery to the ceiling if you can, which you probably can't do. You need to replace the rod. The black stands out. A pretty cream colored one with thick bulky ends would look nice. Bring the two mirrors closer together and a soft green pillow and it will look finished. Otherwise it is nice.
February 18, 2013 at 9:22pm     
Cathy Foss
paint the window trim white.
February 18, 2013 at 9:25pm     
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!! What about a checked green pillow?
February 18, 2013 at 9:27pm   
luvdecorating2
bevballew, I have lots of black in this room. The rod is bronze. Is that ok?
February 18, 2013 at 9:37pm   
cdpearman
I would also paint the window trim white.Not to be rash, but I am sorry to say that the curtain and chair colour and the paint colour are not complementary ,although both are gorgeous on their own. Chair and curtains look dingy next to the stark white. I would be more inclined to cover or replace the chair and change the curtains to match the new chair colours. The white and green is an awesome start. I would also change the lamp to a white shade and put a large black mirror in place of the dated candle holder mirrors. The end table looks a but spindly for the boldness of the large wall trim. A larger-legged table would be really nice.I would also be tempted to take the focus off of the wall outlet by replacing it with white. If you were so inclined to change the paint colour, to match the chair ,I would choose an earthy tone in a burnt orange, olive green, chocolate brown. Take your curtain or arm cover off your chair to a paint store to get just the right shade.Good Luck, Diana
February 18, 2013 at 9:50pm     
luvdecorating2
bevballew, see the black table in the pic? There is more black in this pic.
February 18, 2013 at 9:50pm   
bevballew
The rod just seems to stick out like sore thumb. The room is so pretty and soft and I think a light colored rod will blend well with the soft look.
February 18, 2013 at 9:53pm     
luvdecorating2
Thanks bevballew!!!
February 18, 2013 at 9:56pm   
luvdecorating2
Diana, what about painting the room SW Latte?
February 18, 2013 at 10:14pm   
luvdecorating2
We can't paint the trim white because the windows are vinyl and the panes are inside the windows.
February 18, 2013 at 11:36pm   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Could I suggest one little pop of colour in between the curtains and on one cushion - unless you want a super super serene look? If you are looking for super serene than I think it works fine. Details would be to fix the cord by your curtain, and make a point of hiding your bronze outlet cover as you really don't need to draw attention to it. Your home reminds me of an traditional crafts show home I saw in the UK last year
February 18, 2013 at 11:47pm     
luvdecorating2
How would I add a pop of color? A colorful pillow on the chair? We have the cord tied on the curtain to keep it away from the cats!!
February 18, 2013 at 11:56pm   
Donna Van_Atta
To do it on a budget and easy if u just painted that wall,I would change that lampshade to black and the picture frame. Get a green and black pillow and lose the gingham.
February 19, 2013 at 12:15am   
Donna Van_Atta
Put bunny pillow in chair.
February 19, 2013 at 12:16am   
luvdecorating2
Thanks for your comment!! Paint the wall what color? I've already removed the pic frame and put the paisley pillow in chair (See top pic)
February 19, 2013 at 12:24am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
In the picture I posted I showed a burnt orange or russet coloured lamp. Your colours are soft so I wouldn't go for bright colours like pink or turquoise but more a contrast in a similar tone - It is hard to see but I was wondering if that russet could work? Ah.... cats! Yup, my cat is slowly shredding my carpets in playtime!!!
February 19, 2013 at 12:30am   
luvdecorating2
Here is the pic without the frame
February 19, 2013 at 12:30am   
luvdecorating2
Put that color russet in a pillow on the chair?
February 19, 2013 at 12:34am   
luvdecorating2
And add that russet color in a picture between the two curtains?
February 19, 2013 at 12:37am     
PRO
Khrome Studios
Cheap and cheerful. Mirrors 1.5-2.5 in apart, 1 3 inches higher larger square fun pillow rust oleum spray paint the rods crystal finials Fatter tie backs. Larger (taller) image or mirror with personality, wainscoting? DIY Great bones. It looks like you just want to tweak vs re-do. Have fu!
February 19, 2013 at 12:42am   
luvdecorating2
Thanks for your comment Khrome Studios. Not sure I understand it. Yes I just want to tweak, not redo!!
February 19, 2013 at 12:48am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Correct! russet picture between the two curtains! It just adds a touch of warmth
February 19, 2013 at 12:54am   
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!! Would a canvas work?
February 19, 2013 at 12:59am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Why not? I think you put something up temporarily and then keep it as a target to find the right piece in due time. You can visit flea markets, pull something out of a magazine or old book and frame it - hundreds of possibilities; but make it yours and something that means something to you.
February 19, 2013 at 1:06am   
luvdecorating2
What about something like these?
February 19, 2013 at 1:08am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
The second one - is more muted - I was thinking of something even more low-key
but in the short term it ties the colours together - print it out and hang it up to see
February 19, 2013 at 1:20am   
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!! I can keep looking.
February 19, 2013 at 1:24am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
have fun - it should be!!!
February 19, 2013 at 1:34am   
luvdecorating2
What about this pillow?
February 19, 2013 at 2:29am   
rinqreation
The rods are too short and too dark, if you'd ask me.
When I sell rods I always ask what type of fabric a clients curtains are (and if they have rings in them or not), because they look best when the curtains can be completely open next to the window. So add the width of the curtains opened to the length of the rod.
If you want to stick with these rods and those curtains, find rings with clamps, so the entire rod is visible and the curtain opens wider. The dark ends now look odd.
February 19, 2013 at 2:52am   
rinqreation
And considering color, I think the browns and whites look good. It's the green that doesn't fit in the picture..

A darker/greyer shade of green would look better. Or a buttery yellow or a classic pale blue. Or darker if you're willing to go there, just not this apple-lime-ish.
February 19, 2013 at 2:58am     
luvdecorating2
Would ring clips make the curtains longer? I don't have any browns, just green and ivory. Could I just spray paint the curtain rods ivory?
February 19, 2013 at 3:04am   
carole
that is a nice pillow,if you want the stronger colors then this is a great start,it will tie in the black you already have with your tables and i would change the lampshade to the one in the 2nd pict asv put in,
and if you want to keep the curtainpoles as is then frame your art in black/choclate,and paint the walls the color of the second circle in this pillow,that would bring in all the colors,it is already a lovely room,you just need to make your mind up about which colors it will be,and as it is just paint and soft furnishing,you can change that easily and every season if you like!! in my house every april the rugs and curtains go and i put different pillowcases and cremecolored curtains in,my wintercollection never really changes but the summer one has different theme or color every year!!helps with the springcleaning!!!!
February 19, 2013 at 3:04am   
rinqreation
Would ring clips make the curtains longer?
- Yes, part of the ring and clamp are added to the length.

I don't have any browns, just green and ivory.
- I meant the windows, the curtains, the furniture.

Could I just spray paint the curtain rods ivory?
- Sure, but they would wear faster than coated ones.
February 19, 2013 at 3:11am   
luvdecorating2
I don't want to go that dark, I like the pastels. Maybe the pillow is too dark after all!!!! Thanks for your response!!!
February 19, 2013 at 3:17am     
luvdecorating2
Thank you Ringcreation. My curtains are celery green and my walls are sage green.
February 19, 2013 at 3:22am   
rinqreation
Oh, sorry, they look beige and apple on my screen :)
February 19, 2013 at 3:57am   
luvdecorating2
That's ok, screens do change colors!!!!
February 19, 2013 at 4:06am   
luvdecorating2
Maybe this pillow?
February 19, 2013 at 4:17am   
Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza
I see what you were going for with the curtain rods but it's not working.........they look very "Dollar Store" and not very substantial. In fact, they even seem to be sagging a bit in the middle? You need to beef up your curtain rods and raise them up a bit. Your other black accents (like the mirrors and the table) are a bit spindly looking too and may be working against you. I love the celery color but your curtains and your pillow just seem to fade into the background. If you have budget concerns, perhaps you could add a bit of interest to your curtains by trimming them out with a bit of grosgrain ribbon, tacked on an inch or two from the edge. Maybe trim out your lampshade with the same color ribbon for some continuity? Or try your hand at stenciling and stencil a simple pattern along the edge of the curtains to make them stand out a bit. To make those mirrors stand out on your wall, consider painting a larger diamond shape on the wall (black) where they will hang. It will give the illusion of a more substantial piece.
February 19, 2013 at 4:21am     
luvdecorating2
I appreciate your comments and always wanting quality, that makes me feel bad. One of the curtain rods was missing a grommet and that's why it looks like it's sagging. The table is an antique from my mother and that space isn't largeenough to hold the one that goes with our coffee table (see pic below). I think I can ask a friend to sew the ribbon (are you talking about the 5/8" grosgrain ribbon you get at the fabric store?). What if I moved the sconces closer together, would that help? What else can I do? I appreciate your help!!! Does just one look like it's sagging or do all of them look that way?
February 19, 2013 at 4:40am   
LOVE the pattern in the picture that ASV Interiors posted earlier (picture on right) and if you could find a similar fabric with a bit of weight to it, they would make fabulous curtains. Then you could make a matching accent pillow (or cover the one that you have) Sorry if my comment about your curtain rods seemed harsh - I certainly didn't mean to sound 'mean'. I still believe that your rods should be more substantial and I think that you could go with a beefier wooden rod that you could paint, or perhaps silver leaf so that it matches some of your accent pieces. I stick by what I said about your table and the mirrored sconces in the earlier pic - I can appreciate that it's a table that's special to you but perhaps you could use it elsewhere, or lighten the color to match the color of your sofa cover? I like the picture that you've posted above and it makes me think that maybe you should forget about using black accents. I have nothing against using black with your color scheme....I just think it's unnecessary.
February 19, 2013 at 5:50am     
looking at your antique table in another pic, I can see that it's not black like I thought it was. Don't paint it. It looks fine as it is. Stick to simple fixes first......beefing up those rods, spiffing up those drapes or making new ones (you can make simple curtains from a nice heavyweight bed sheet if you can find some in a pattern that works for you). You've got a good start on the room, I feel it just needs tweaking. Change out your plug covers to white (they stand out like a sore thumb!) and swap out some of your wall art. Pick a direction and go in it......maybe some shabby chic accents?
February 19, 2013 at 5:59am   
carole
glad that the pictures made you realize that you dont want to go that dark,the pillow that you have chosen now is a much better match to what you already have and like,i agree with the others to changing the curtainrods and adding more color will make the room as you want it!!
February 19, 2013 at 6:01am   
luvdecorating2
Sandra, thank you so much for your help!!!! The table is black, and my husband can certainly paint it white. Will that work? Will look for some wooden rods but we just spent a great deal on these. Do you think if we got the grommet for the one that's bending and painted them, they'd work? Also, we JUST spent a great deal on those curtains. What if I got some colorful tassels and tied them back? I can't sew, and would have to depend on a friend to sew the ribbon. Asfar as the sconces, what if I moved them closer together? Would that work? I like mercury glass, and want to add some more to my coffee table. See pic of art below. Thoughts?
February 19, 2013 at 6:22am   
luvdecorating2
Thanks Carole!!!
February 19, 2013 at 6:30am   
luvdecorating2
Just talked to store where we got the curtain rods and they sell center supports!!! That will fix the bowing, and we can paint them ivory. How does that sound?
February 19, 2013 at 7:01am     
bevballew
I agree then paint the rods. Idid not think you wanted to redo. Maybe can you replace the lamp? That one print you have by the tv looks nice but needs a frame. There is a picture above with three mirrors above the sofa. That is very nice. Your chair is a bit dated but looks fine and I think a soft green pillow will make it look nice. I liked the check pillow. I would try tie backs on the drapes with greens to blend the wall and drape.
February 19, 2013 at 4:51pm   
luvdecorating2
Hi Bevballew!! Which lamp are you referring to? I love my lamps. Thanks for the compliment on my art but we like canvas without frames. I had thought about tie backs, thanks!!!
February 20, 2013 at 3:07am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
So many suggestions. i agree with changing out rods. They are just wrong in color and proportion. Drapes are a little bland. can you add some trim in the green color with perhaps another color to tie the room together. Add some pattern to the room with pillows that are of the same value as the rest of the color in the room and they will add dimensions without saying" Hi I am the accent item in the room." Color blocking is trendy right now but in the long run a cohesive room where all the elements talk to each other would stand the test of time.
February 20, 2013 at 3:25am   
luvdecorating2
i know. I feel like I can't do anything right with all these sugestions!!! I will be adding the ikat pillow above, maybe that will add interest. The drapes are actually beautiful to me in person. I love them!!! Simple, understated. I am probably going to add curtain rings which should help them hang better. As far as the rod, I actually like the bronze and agreed to paint them because so many people said to. When I went to the website where I bought them, they had many views, several in white rooms, with dark rods just like mine. I agree mine are not high quality, and I do know quality, but they were all I could afford. They are 28-48, and we stretched them to 48 because the curtains are so wide. I called the store and they have a center support which should help the bowing. I know I asked for input, and I do hope I'll continue to get it!!!!
February 20, 2013 at 5:10am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Hi there luvdecorationg2. - I think you are getting too much input which can be overwhelming. You cannot apply everyone's advice, you need to work out what you like from that advice. And bear in mind everyone has a design eye (some will like what you have and others will tell you to change it one way; someone else another etc etc).

I think you need to look through all the comments and say to yourself - what do I (emphasis on I) like. I think you like your drapes and your like your checked cushion. Then they must stay. So you work with them. Take small steps and make one or two changes - then live with them for a day. THEN Ask yourself if you are happy with it. YOU are the one who lives with it. If not, try another of the suggestions. I suggest small steps will help you and give you some space to assert your own identify on this room. Best of luck
February 20, 2013 at 5:38am     
luvdecorating2
Will this green ikat pillow help add interest?
February 20, 2013 at 5:38am     
luvdecorating2
Thank you SO MUCH ASV!!!! You are SO KIND and SO RIGHT!!!!!
February 20, 2013 at 5:44am     
PRO
love the pillow
February 20, 2013 at 6:19am   
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!!!
February 20, 2013 at 6:26am   
cam27525
Love the green ikat pillow. It makes the room feel fresh and new. Also, not a fan of the wall color. Can you paint it a more neutral greige color?
February 20, 2013 at 7:25am   
PRO
I bet paint color is OK
February 20, 2013 at 9:57am   
luvdecorating2
Thank you both for your comments!!! Cam27525, the wall color is sage green and in person goes well with our decor. I do appreciate your comment though!!
February 20, 2013 at 10:13am   
bevballew
I think the green I kat pillow is great! Nice pizzazz.
February 20, 2013 at 1:47pm   
luvdecorating2
Thank you!!!
February 20, 2013 at 2:17pm   
Teri Loper
May I ask, where did you find the red pillow? Thanks!
February 20, 2013 at 2:42pm   
luvdecorating2
On Etsy, type Suzani and you should find it!!
February 20, 2013 at 2:48pm     
More Discussions
I have been looking for a mirror for my dining room for months.
Has anyone see a mirror similar to this for sale? ...
Neep help choosing an accent color for my living room!
I need help choosing the right color for the TV wall...
How often do you replace everyday flatware?
I noticed that my flatware is on it's last legs. How...
Need installation ideas for Kohler glass Wading Pool Antilia sink
How have people dealt with the installation of this...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.