Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Landscaping
Glenda Hammond
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We had a bit of a drought with water restrictions and together with this and our new rescue dog, my lawn looks like this, now I'm busy with home improvements and wondered if I should have new grass laid or pave the entire area.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sacapuntaslapioz
where are you located? tif you choose a grass that is native to your area you will not need to water it. the problem is people choosing a grass they like with no regards to its native habitat. For example in the northeast choose fescues, they do not need to be watered past the first year, as long as they are kept at the appropiate lenght (short in the fall, long in the summer) look for no-mow grass.
February 19, 2013 at 3:37AM   
Glenda Hammond
I'm in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and luckily the drought is over.
February 19, 2013 at 3:42AM   
DIAspoton
cover the area in a thick layer of pine bark chips. no watering, nice looking and your dog won't wear it out as fast as grass.
February 19, 2013 at 3:49AM   
Glenda Hammond
I live in a very windy city so I somehow don't think pine bark chips will work very well here and my dog loves chewing bark/wood, so she would have a field day playing in it.
February 19, 2013 at 3:56AM   
ddj0195
How about a combination of grass and a path? Lay out some flag stones or large stepping stones. Fill the spaces between with small gravel or sand. Then add sod the rest of the area.
February 19, 2013 at 5:22AM     
PRO
Blulens Design
Also, think about a low lying ground cover from herbs. Some are very hardy, and make a great textural statement!
February 19, 2013 at 5:28AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I agree with ddj0 195, wild thyme amongst pavings works beautifully and should grow well in Port Elizabeth climate. Is your dog now trained - does he 'do his needs' in a specific spot or anywhere - this may effect how much you want to invest in improvements. And congratulations and thanks to you for taking a rescue dog.
February 19, 2013 at 5:32AM   
PRO
Urban Oasis
I would also minimize any lawn by using a permeable paving or material. You could use natural stone, gravel or decomposed granite. Create areas or rooms for seating, eating etc.
February 19, 2013 at 11:11AM   
PRO
EasyTurf
Have you considered an artificial turf lawn? You get the same look and feel of a lush, green lawn, but without maintenance and water costs - EasyTurf is also the most durable turf on the market and holds up to the toughest weather conditions - and perfect for dog owners. Check us out at www.easyturf.com and let me know if you have questions! Good luck in whatever direction you choose!
February 19, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Glenda Hammond
Thanks for all the wonderful comments, will post pics once I have this project completed, which should be next month. My rescue dog 'Mia' has settled down nicely and as I have managed to enclose the back garden she spends more time there and has plenty of space to run around in.
February 19, 2013 at 9:53PM   
More Discussions
What parameters do you use to chose a white paint?
I am painting a 2 bed/2bath condo. The whole unit...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Repainting Dormers on a Cape Cod....HELP!
Actually, I want to repaint all the siding on our mottled...
Need Help in Bathroom - Can't decide what colour towels I should buy.
Hey guys, I can't redo my guest bathroom at this stage,...
bathroom remodel
We have a small bathroom vanity with double sinks....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.