Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I want to do something inexpensive to update my kitchen and family room
Brent
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Don't have a big budget, can't really afford to do granite counter tops in kitchen, but can do repainting, maybe new flooring in kitchen and family room, and am planning on replacing couches, pictures, other decorating items. Think my kitchen table is too big and want to replace that too. Where would you start?. Looking for something more "man" looking for a single guy.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent
oops, here's family room
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:14AM
janishill
The quickest way to update your kitchen area is to remove the wall paper and paint the walls an updated color - like this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/skippingstone

RustOleum has a countertop paint that would bring the green countertops up to date as well: http://countertops.rustoleumtransformations.com/?gclid=CJGG56fKwrUCFWfNOgodrgoAKQ
The Java Stone color would work nicely.

Get rid of the valances and use drapery panels at each end of the window. Hang them high and wide to allow in as much light as possible. (see illustration.) Use roller shades underneath.

This will be a good start. Once all that is done then the real decorating begins!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:31AM
bdennison
I think the border and the tile island top date the kitchen and are easily (and inexpensively) changed out. If granite is your preference and you can't afford slab, try 12x12 tiles set close together for minimal grout. I did this in my sons kitchen with black obsidian tiles and it looks great. You will need a bull nose tile edge as the granite is unfinished. Maybe change out the pot rack for pendants for more light. In the picture it looks a little dark. Good luck.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:34AM
violinist3713
Painting the walls a light brown to get rid of the outdaed wallpaper. Also staining or painting the cabinets will really make the space feel bigger and more modern. If you did that you would not have to replace the countertops for a little while longer. Hardwood is great on the floor in a kitchen but you could also go with tile. I would reccomend going to Ikea for the furniture because it is inexpensive and amazing!!!!!!! I really like the colour of your family room. Also you could add a new backsplash in the kitchen
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:35PM
janishill
It has been on my mind all day (since I posted and had to leave) to tell you to replace the green counter top with butcher block from Ikea. It will instantly update the room for very little expense. Well that and painting, replacing the valances, etc. :-)

I can't see your sink, but a new faucet will be another easy update. Your backsplash and your light fixtures are both 'invisible' as well, they are all economical updates.

If you check this link you will find some incredible before and after imges with great update ideas: http://www.thekitchn.com/before-after-15-creative-kitchen-renovations-165104
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:08PM
Brent
thank you all, excellent ideas! I guess I need to get busy now :)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:22PM